Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Leicester owner is the equivalent of Sam at the start

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:52 pm

When Sam was loved. That’s how highly thought of he is.

I work with a Leicester fan he’s gutted.

Re: Leicester owner is the equivalent of Sam at the start

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:40 pm

There is a difference. The Leicester owner put his own money in and didn’t charge Leicester interest

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:05 am

charlieduke wrote:There is a difference. The Leicester owner put his own money in and didn’t charge Leicester interest

I was talking about how much loved he was.

We only found that out about Sam towards the end.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:53 am

For all Sam's faults I believe he had a good heart but just got silly.

He did something for me that was way above the call of duty and I suspect he did the same for others but the type of things would just never make the press.

I was going through a rough time not long after he had taken over, and he phoned my house to talk to me. How many Chairman of a Football Club do that, when Barnsley did it recently its national news.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:46 pm

RV Casual wrote:For all Sam's faults I believe he had a good heart but just got silly.

He did something for me that was way above the call of duty and I suspect he did the same for others but the type of things would just never make the press.

I was going through a rough time not long after he had taken over, and he phoned my house to talk to me. How many Chairman of a Football Club do that, when Barnsley did it recently its national news.

Agree.

I think he got stitched up too and then we saw the worst side of him.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:53 pm

maccydee wrote:
RV Casual wrote:For all Sam's faults I believe he had a good heart but just got silly.

Agree.

none of us know all the facts but ive always felt he was stitched up as the fall guy too..
i believe unlike some of the super rich chairmen of today where a 100 mill hit is not the end of the world Sams belief and enthusiasm led him to invest money he just couldnt afford to lose..
one things for sure without that push he gave us we would still more than likely be bouncing around the lower leagues..he invested in us when others wouldnt..

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:26 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

none of us know all the facts but ive always felt he was stitched up as the fall guy too..
i believe unlike some of the super rich chairmen of today where a 100 mill hit is not the end of the world Sams belief and enthusiasm led him to invest money he just couldnt afford to lose..
one things for sure without that push he gave us we would still more than likely be bouncing around the lower leagues..he invested in us when others wouldnt..

100% correct and it’s why I’m still fond of him.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:37 pm

maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

:thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

for me Sams biggest mistake....was his belief..

he believed what we believed and what we told him ..top of tier 3 between 15 and 18k..competitive in tier 2.. 20k....
i believed it, you believed it..loads of our fans believed it...it didnt happen which left a hole in our finances..
did Sam leave us down or did our fan base leave him down..........i believe the later..
here we are getting 30k in the prem....was his dream and what he started...its a real shame more didnt get into the dream earlier there would have been no court cases, no langston..and Sam..probably not as owner would probably still be about...
its a shame..

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 pm

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

he believed what we believed and what we told him ..top of tier 3 between 15 and 18k..competitive in tier 2.. 20k....
i believed it, you believed it..loads of our fans believed it...it didnt happen which left a hole in our finances..
did Sam leave us down or did our fan base leave him down..........i believe the later..
here we are getting 30k in the prem....was his dream and what he started...its a real shame more didnt get into the dream earlier there would have been no court cases, no langston..and Sam..probably not as owner would probably still be about...
its a shame..

For me his biggest mistake was dying his eyebrows

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

How much did he invest of his own dosh?Had a fat payoff.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:14 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

I don't know and neither do you is the answer.....a good guess would be more than he felt could afford to lose..otherwise why the court milarky.....and was it a fat pay off ? it was certainly money that Tan eventually paid having tried not to so therefore legally owed....

he breathed life into this club when it was in ICU and we have steadily grown and gone forward ever since...
even if it was all loan notes from his own companies {I am not saying this was the case but the hero to zero brigade will } one way or another it was his risk..and if honest you will know the fact he got paid back anything at all was a stroke of luck that we shared in when a billionaire decided to get involved at the 11th hour of a winding up order....

we are in the premier league playing to 30k crowds in a new stadium having graced Wembley 4 times {not counting spurs } due to a number of factors and people but none of that could have happened if Sam had stayed in London and given us a wide berth.....

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 pm

dogfound wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

I don't know and neither do you is the answer.....a good guess would be more than he felt could afford to lose..otherwise why the court milarky.....and was it a fat pay off ? it was certainly money that Tan eventually paid having tried not to so therefore legally owed....

he breathed life into this club when it was in ICU and we have steadily grown and gone forward ever since...
even if it was all loan notes from his own companies {I am not saying this was the case but the hero to zero brigade will } one way or another it was his risk..and if honest you will know the fact he got paid back anything at all was a stroke of luck that we shared in when a billionaire decided to get involved at the 11th hour of a winding up order....

we are in the premier league playing to 30k crowds in a new stadium having graced Wembley 4 times {not counting spurs } due to a number of factors and people but none of that could have happened if Sam had stayed in London and given us a wide berth.....

We would not be owned by said billionaire now if Sam had given us a wide berth. We also wouldn’t have the new stadium, been to Wembley a shed load of times, be in the Premiership or any of the success we have achieved over the last 19 years or so.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:00 pm

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

its a shame..

Plenty of truth there :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sam really did believe and dream and took us up from League to the Top of the Championship, No one else wanted us with crowds of 4,000, in debt, a stadium in need of massive repair and a club that had gone no where for 40 plus years.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

Martin, Sam put personally in £3.5mill to pay our debts off etc.

Yes the £24mill he later put in was not his, he borrowed as you already know and it took us up two divisions, increased our crowds, got us outline planning for the Cardiff City Stadium, left us top of the Championship, with players like Ramsey, Ledley,Gunter,Neil Alexander,Peter Whittingham, Loosens,Chopra, Mcphail, Adam Matthews etc etc and a new accedemy :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sam also made mistakes and could not afford to take us any further, but Sam woke South Wales up and got fans believing and dreaming.

Where were the fans before Sam came, no interest at all.

We have debated this 500 times, end off :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:39 pm

maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree.

We would not be owned by said billionaire now if Sam had given us a wide berth. We also wouldn’t have the new stadium, been to Wembley a shed load of times, be in the Premiership or any of the success we have achieved over the last 19 years or so.

I was a season ticket holder prior to Sam getting involved …..and had all but given up even dreaming....even the downgraded dream of going to Wembley for an autoglass/johnsons paint trophy final seemed out of reach...Sam gave us our dreams back...

:thumbup: