Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Leicester game a decision is likely to be made later

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Questions are now being asked over whether the game with Cardiff will now follow suit, with Bluebirds chief executive Ken Choo confirming that the club would do "whatever necessary" to support their counterparts at the King Power.

Monday 29th October 2018

Here's the lowdown on what could happen next.

What's the latest?

The Premier League is understood to be in discussions with both clubs over the fixture, but no decision has yet been made.

However, given that the game has not been chosen for live TV coverage, conversations over what to do next could well move swiftly.

There is no indication to suggest the game will not go ahead at this stage.

The final decision will be Leicester City's.

Leicester City helicopter tragedy

When will we know?

It's difficult to say for certain, but we understand a concrete decision is likely to be made later today.

If it is postponed, when would it be played?

It's far too early to speculate at this stage, but should the match be called off, one would suspect that it would either be rearranged to a midweek date later in the season or, if neither side progresses too far, during a free FA Cup weekend.

What have the Premier League said?

The Premier League are understandably reluctant to comment until a decision has been made.

However, executive chairman Richard Scudamore released the following statement over the weekend.

"My Premier League colleagues and I are devastated to learn that Leicester City FC Chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and four other people lost their lives in the helicopter crash outside King Power Stadium last night," said Scudamore.

"Our deepest condolences and heartfelt thoughts go to the Srivaddhanaprabha family and all the relatives and friends of those involved in this tragic accident.

"Vichai was a gentleman who graced the game with his civility and charm and we will miss him enormously. His impact on Leicester - the football club and city - will be remembered for ever."

Could any other fixtures be affected?

It looks very unlikely that any other games featured in next weekend's programme of fixtures will be affected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Leicester game a decision is likely to be made later

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:49 pm

I really don't see it being postponed

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I really don't see it being postponed

They’ve postponed the midweek games, Hopefully we’ll play this weekend.

I would have thought the players will want to play and try get the win for their late chairman.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:55 pm

norms76 wrote:

I would have thought the players will want to play and try get the win for their late chairman.

This is what I would imagine happening.

We have to be careful. Obviously its a tragedy and as a club we need to show our class in supporting Leicester but if the game goes ahead, and we offer whatever respects we can, we don't want to roll over and give 3 points either.

Need to pay our respects in any way we can, but then once game does start we need to focus on the business.

then, once we have 3 points, offer our respect again

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:22 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:
norms76 wrote:

This is what I would imagine happening.

We have to be careful. Obviously its a tragedy and as a club we need to show our class in supporting Leicester but if the game goes ahead, and we offer whatever respects we can, we don't want to roll over and give 3 points either.

Need to pay our respects in any way we can, but then once game does start we need to focus on the business.

then, once we have 3 points, offer our respect again

yeah, im trying really hard not to think of it in these terms, but i kinda hope the game is off to be honest.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Awful events over the weekend and really feel for everyone at LCFC,but for me the game should go on as planned.
As posted above do what ever Leicester what regarding respects before the game but once that whistle blows we need the points.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:45 pm

theclaw wrote:Awful events over the weekend and really feel for everyone at LCFC,but for me the game should go on as planned.
As posted above do what ever Leicester what regarding respects before the game but once that whistle blows we need the points.

100% agree

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Depends really on how quickly Leicester want to get back to “normal”. They already have one midweek fixture to re-arrange and may prefer to get on with things before a full out emotional home game. I suspect, and would support, postponing this week’s game though. I think it’s probably the right thing to do.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Difficult all round, I think our boys will give them respect and our fans will surely as always show their class but once the whistle goes I think they will be fully focused on 3 points.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:49 pm

We need to know soon though either way, for both teams to prepare, and the fans.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:50 pm

We need to know soon though either way, for both teams to prepare, and the fans.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:00 pm

It could be called off if they have eased up on the training this week.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:07 pm

I think it would be acceptable for this game to be postponed. The Leicester players minds will be very affected. If they were to apply to cancel it would make sense IMHO

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:45 pm

What happened when Harding died in the helicopter crash? I can't remember what Chelsea did? I think the game should go on with a minutes silence. I'm sure Leicester will do something huge out of respect at their next home game.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:43 pm

I would imagine that the longer that there’s no news on our game suggests that it’ll probably be on.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:11 am

I’m pretty sure this game will be postponed. For what it’s worth I think it’s the right thing to do.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 am

Bluebirdforlife77 wrote:I’m pretty sure this game will be postponed. For what it’s worth I think it’s the right thing to do.

Players will have final decision on it - I’d imagine they’d meet today and decide.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:58 am

Understandable if they decide not to play, though they may meet with the thought of 'let's play - this one is for the chairman'

I suspect though that if only one player decides they are not in the correct frame of mind, then all players will stick together, and agree to postpone the game.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:03 am

stevee1966 wrote:Understandable if they decide not to play, though they may meet with the thought of 'let's play - this one is for the chairman'

I suspect though that if only one player decides they are not in the correct frame of mind, then all players will stick together, and agree to postpone the game.

Yes I can see that happening too.
Maybe a collective decision will be asked for by the manager after / before training today.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:33 am

The fact its taking so long makes me think it may be postponed. Initially I thought it would go ahead.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:56 pm

2blue2handle wrote:The fact its taking so long makes me think it may be postponed. Initially I thought it would go ahead.

I’m thinking the opposite actually.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:23 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:The fact its taking so long makes me think it may be postponed. Initially I thought it would go ahead.

I’m thinking the opposite actually.

I agree. The longer they leave it, the more likely to go ahead.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Yeah I've changed my mind again :lol:

Surely it would have been announced by now if postponed.