Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Super League "

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:55 am

" Super League "

According to print stories this morning , the six moneyball teams are at an advanced stage of negotiations to leave the premiership and instead play in a small league of very rich tossers in Europe and maybe farther afield.
They claim it'll take three years but that seems like a great idea to me. It won't last and it'll suck a lot of money out of the British leagues, but at least it'll give everyone else , particularly young British players a chance.

Might be better if they all based themselves in Brussels or some island somewhere really, but personally I'd like to see the back of them at this point. I wouldn't watch them anyway myself unless they were playing Cardiff City because Manchester City, for example, no longer have any more to do with Manchester than Athletico Madrid do.

Do we think this would be a good thing or s bad thing

Re: Super League

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:56 am

Which 6 teams out of curiosity are thinking of doing this? Also surely a 6 team league would get boring incredibly quick or is that just me?

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:00 am

Not just 6 teams
He means there will be 6 from england
Probably 4 from Spain 4 Germany etc

But this will never happen , the Smaller teams will be crowned champions of a country yet there are bigger teams out there ? Not right

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:20 am

CardiffCityBlue wrote:Not just 6 teams

But this will never happen , the Smaller teams will be crowned champions of a country yet there are bigger teams out there ? Not right

Probably not right in many senses but at this stage probably the best for all concerned. There'd be an entirely different set of people interested in watching that and everyone else could start enjoying proper competitive club football again.
I think the super league would eventually fail actually, but they could do that amongst themselves. Do these teams even need to be named after places any more ? Maybe they could be named after rich people or banks or something and have indoor pitches where they play on carpet ?

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:26 am

Never Happen.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:28 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
CardiffCityBlue wrote:Not just 6 teams

Probably not right in many senses but at this stage probably the best for all concerned. There'd be an entirely different set of people interested in watching that and everyone else could start enjoying proper competitive club football again.
I think the super league would eventually fail actually, but they could do that amongst themselves. Do these teams even need to be named after places any more ? Maybe they could be named after rich people or banks or something and have indoor pitches where they play on carpet ?

I can see how it benefits especially smaller teams but for say Tottenham if they come bottom every year yet they no in the premier League they'd have success would there be a relegation system

It sparks a whole new system if they invited promotion relegation

Funny you should bring it up I've heard this 3/4 times over the last week , but not for me it's great going away trying to beat United Liverpool etc that's what we have worked for I guess

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:33 am

Yeah the papers this morning are claiming that they're actually negotiating it

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:29 am

If look at bigger picture fifa ate musceling on uefa toes regarding competitions , in amongst that is the bigger club's who by having super league will have greater say in where tv money goes give it 5yrs or so and it will be a possibility. :old:

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:36 am

I think it's inevitable this will happen some time; money talks and it's a logical progression.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:28 am

pembroke allan wrote:If look at bigger picture fifa ate musceling on uefa toes regarding competitions , in amongst that is the bigger club's who by having super league will have greater say in where tv money goes give it 5yrs or so and it will be a possibility. :old:

I should think that all their matches will be on pay for view tv and they'll become the movie footballers.in the end I can well envisage these teams becoming like the Harlem Globetrotters are - a circus act which is considered quite separate to pro basketball . Should lead to more people attending real games , and returning to developing home players and loyalty to local clubs rather than bought foreign mercenaries .

As I've said before, their ability to just buy success should be curtailed but since that's not going to happen , better to do this.

Would you watch it, cause I wouldn't .

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:28 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:If look at bigger picture fifa ate musceling on uefa toes regarding competitions , in amongst that is the bigger club's who by having super league will have greater say in where tv money goes give it 5yrs or so and it will be a possibility. :old:

I should think that all their matches will be on pay for view tv and they'll become the movie footballers.in the end I can well envisage these teams becoming like the Harlem Globetrotters are - a circus act which is considered quite separate to pro basketball . Should lead to more people attending real games , and returning to developing home players and loyalty to local clubs rather than bought foreign mercenaries .

As I've said before, their ability to just buy success should be curtailed but since that's not going to happen , better to do this.

No I wouldn't as won't pay by to watch it now! Just looked at article and my point about fifa was they are trying to oust uefa in terms of european power. Was a lot more but forget where saw it it was tied in with fifa plans for international competition. As for pay per view not sure about that but certainly there are new cummers in the subscription market who would get involved that's for sure. :old:

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:29 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

No I wouldn't as won't pay by to watch it now! Just looked at article and my point about fifa was they are trying to oust uefa in terms of european power. Was a lot more but forget where saw it it was tied in with fifa plans for international competition. As for pay per view not sure about that but certainly there are new cummers in the subscription market who would get involved that's for sure. :old:

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Football needs local rivalry, this will mean stadiums full of awayday tourist fans sitting eating burgers and sipping soft drinks and keeping quiet.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:07 pm

And now today’s football results, read by James Alexander Gordon.

“Football League Division One”.....

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:14 pm

City Slicker wrote:I think it's inevitable this will happen some time; money talks and it's a logical progression.

Yes Phil , in the end money talks !

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:16 pm

If you have a super league players won't have anywhere to go to boost their egos e.g. why would Messi go to man u when in same league ? Competition will be non excistant eventually fans die of boredom seeing same thing week after week. :old:

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:15 pm

been talked about for 50 years.....will not happen.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:20 pm

TommyP wrote:Which 6 teams out of curiosity are thinking of doing this? Also surely a 6 team league would get boring incredibly quick or is that just me?

The BBC covered / talked about the Super League this morning - with the following teams ...
Man City : Man Utd : Liverpool : Chelsea : Arsenal the other team i guess would be Tottenham - As they only covered 5 clubs.

Re: " Super League "

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:47 am

The big clubs in England are probably using it as a ploy to screw a bigger share of the Sky money putting a gun to the head of the other Premier League clubs. If the FA and UEFA stand firm along with the rest of the clubs it wall flat on its face as if the clubs go it alone they will be outcasts from the rest of the football world.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:31 pm

It will never happen, but if it did it would end up like Rollerball with it all being about the company and the franchise.

No need to be Manchester city or united, no need to play in Manchester, England or even Europe. Would the Fenway group prefer to play in Boston, the Glazers in New york.......

Would love it to happen so we can rid ourselves of the armchair mob thinking they are into football because they have a mug of their chosen team.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:03 pm

If this happens a lot of premier league clubs will go bankrupt.

Most if not all rely on premier league money to pay the huge wages of the players. Without the big 6 sky would not pay anywhere near the amount they currently do.

A lot of clubs would be in trouble financially

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:46 am

This is invevitable, driven by money of course screw the fans they do not count.We will be witnessing Man. Utd. playing Real Madrid in China soon. Football has lost its soul I 'm afraid.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 am

Jimmy Scoular wrote:This is invevitable, driven by money of course screw the fans they do not count.We will be witnessing Man. Utd. playing Real Madrid in China soon. Football has lost its soul I 'm afraid.

I did wonder how long it would take for the real Jim to turn up :lol:

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am

The big clubs are postering so they can negotiate their own deals with sky ect, just like real and Barca take more money than others in la leaga