Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Subsitutions

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Took far to long to make them and the wrong choices.

Hoilett came on at a time where we were getting corners and really struggling upfront, surely the obvious change would have been to bring on Ward or Medine.

79 minutes until we brought on the forward player we needed, far to late.

Then 85 we bring on Medine, good Idea I thought get it wide and get balls into the box but he takes off Murphy and we start trying to play it through the middle, the mind boggles.

Thought Warnock got it wrong today.

Re: Subsitutions

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 pm

He is a creature of habbit when it comes to substitutes just like a lot of managers are? Main complaint is he leaves it far to late madine at 85mins what is he going y
To do in 5 mins rather pointless considering we did sfa attacking wise 2nd half.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:38 pm

I cringed a bit when Hoilett came on and I wasn’t wrong.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:39 pm

the problem was not the timing, the problem was that in the cold light of day ward, madine, and even arguably hoillett are not good enough to change a game at this level, against very good opposition.

he did the same last season - don't miss the bigger picture.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:43 pm

pembroke allan wrote:He is a creature of habbit when it comes to substitutes just like a lot of managers are? Main complaint is he leaves it far to late madine at 85mins what is he going y
To do in 5 mins rather pointless considering we did sfa attacking wise 2nd half.

I get bringing him on alongside ward and Paterson and just getting in into the box but then taking Murphy off meant we had no outlet wide to get the crosses in.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:57 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Took far to long to make them and the wrong choices.

Hoilett came on at a time where we were getting corners and really struggling upfront, surely the obvious change would have been to bring on Ward or Medine.

79 minutes until we brought on the forward player we needed, far to late.

Then 85 we bring on Medine, good Idea I thought get it wide and get balls into the box but he takes off Murphy and we start trying to play it through the middle, the mind boggles.

Thought Warnock got it wrong today.

Agree with this :thumbup: the
Wrong subs - for me Zahore should at least have been on the bench.
Subs Used too late - as you rightly say
Wrong sub brought on!-I posted after 5 games to say Hoiillet (and a couple others) had not performed well at Prem level. At least Harris has pace and I would have taken a chance with him.
I think we really miss Mendez Laing. Fingers crossed he will be in contention again soon. Would offer pace on both flanks.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Completely lost the midfield when Arter went off. I think Madine on was an excuse to push Paterson back to try and get another body in there.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:He is a creature of habbit when it comes to substitutes just like a lot of managers are? Main complaint is he leaves it far to late madine at 85mins what is he going y

I get bringing him on alongside ward and Paterson and just getting in into the box but then taking Murphy off meant we had no outlet wide to get the crosses in.

Its not 1st time he's done similar thing it appears to be a trait of his when comes to substitutions.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Feel sorry for Madine, not enough time to make an impact and it will show as another appearance with no goal on his stats for his haters to latch onto

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:40 pm

His substitutions have always been poor for us, since day one. Often made far too late in the game, or he brings on players who upset our balance and actually take us out of the game, rather than help us come into it more.

He has an incredible amount of strengths as a manager, but his substitutions are not one of them. At all.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 am

KWest wrote:His substitutions have always been poor for us, since day one. Often made far too late in the game, or he brings on players who upset our balance and actually take us out of the game, rather than help us come into it more.

He has an incredible amount of strengths as a manager, but his substitutions are not one of them. At all.

we picked up an awful lot of points late in games that we had very little possession in last season with people making the same complaints..

i think he knows we have to play damage limitation and try to grab points towards the end..more so going up a level this season .. in 10 of our 11 games so far this season we have been no more than a goal behind on 80 minutes..which in theory gives you that chance to try a pinch something at the end..subs will always change the balance but when plan A is to restrict opponents you need that balance changed..?