Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Laws Of The Game - What Would You ?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:08 pm

After seeing the yellow card incident yesterday when Leicester scored their goal and thinking whilst it was the right decision to the letter of the laws of the game it seemed harsh and you could tell from TV footage that the ref clearly did not want to have to do it but had no other option.

It got me thinking if I could change one law that is not fair then what would I change and for me it has to be a goal kick played out to a defender or deep lying midfielder who receives or takes the ball early maybe under pressure or just a poor pass in the box. In my opinion that side has made the mistake so why should it go back to them for a second chance surely it should be a free kick to the attacking side where the ball was first touched.

Anyone else think of a law of the game that they wanted changed and why ?

Re: Laws Of The Game - What Would You ?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Handball is handball,no accidental or ball to hand.
if it’s touched by your hand free kick or pen - simple.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:26 pm

I agree he had no choice. He had to book him or it could have opened up a whole can of worms as the season went on.

I read/hered something the other day that wanted to bring in no subs after 85 minutes to counter act time wasting at the end if games.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:59 pm

I would like to see the offside rule adjusted.

Maybe something like adding a line to the pitch so you can only be offside if you are behind it when a ball is played. Maybe at the penalty box distance ?

It would stop a lot of the down time in games.

Against leicester it happened 4/5 times when long balls were played wasting a lot of time during the game. We were even given offside once from a goalkick ffs

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:38 pm

thomasblue wrote:I would like to see the offside rule adjusted.

Maybe something like adding a line to the pitch so you can only be offside if you are behind it when a ball is played. Maybe at the penalty box distance ?

It would stop a lot of the down time in games.

Against leicester it happened 4/5 times when long balls were played wasting a lot of time during the game. We were even given offside once from a goalkick ffs

If a player received treatment and the fouling player is booked, then the fouled player shouldn’t have to leave the field and come back on again.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:14 am

The Yellow card is correct in the letter of the law - But the ref after the game can take it back ( in his report ) .

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 am

Referee had to book him. I know it’s unique circumstances, but the referee did the right thing.

To be fair to Claude Puel, he said his team acted professionally and so did the referee.

For me, a change in rules would be to get rid of injury time and adopt what they do in the American sports and stop the clock when there are stoppages in play. Too often the added time is far below the amount of stoppages.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:36 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Referee had to book him. I know it’s unique circumstances, but the referee did the right thing.

To be fair to Claude Puel, he said his team acted professionally and so did the referee.

For me, a change in rules would be to get rid of injury time and adopt what they do in the American sports and stop the clock when there are stoppages in play. Too often the added time is far below the amount of stoppages.

Agree on both points :thumbup:

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 am

Dobbin wrote:After seeing the yellow card incident yesterday when Leicester scored their goal and thinking whilst it was the right decision to the letter of the laws of the game it seemed harsh and you could tell from TV footage that the ref clearly did not want to have to do it but had no other option.

It got me thinking if I could change one law that is not fair then what would I change and for me it has to be a goal kick played out to a defender or deep lying midfielder who receives or takes the ball early maybe under pressure or just a poor pass in the box. In my opinion that side has made the mistake so why should it go back to them for a second chance surely it should be a free kick to the attacking side where the ball was first touched.

Anyone else think of a law of the game that they wanted changed and why ?

100% this for me as well. It drives me mad when the attacking side work hard to press from a goal kick and all the defender has to do is touch the ball inside the box. The law is outdated and needs to be changed. If a pass back warrants an indirect free kick, so does touching the ball inside the box from a goal kick.

Regards the Leicester player. Booking hi was the right decision. You can't bend the rules and besides, what would have happened if a Cardiff player had done the same 10 minutes later?

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:33 am

I'd allow the good old fashioned back pass again, (ie, when the 'keeper can pick it up). Worked well for decades. Too much bias towards attacking play now. Still seems to be more time wasting than ever, though. Just a thought!

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:24 am

:thumbright:
llangainbluebird wrote:I'd allow the good old fashioned back pass again, (ie, when the 'keeper can pick it up). Worked well for decades. Too much bias towards attacking play now. Still seems to be more time wasting than ever, though. Just a thought!

Refs are to blame for a lot of time wasting by not acting sooner over it! Take Joe Hart he walked to get the ball every goal kick and walked backed what's point in booking goalie on 89mins when he's spent previous 20mins or so time wasting? Teams are now using goal celebration to waste time and any other occasion as refs do not apply the actual time lost. :old:

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:32 am

theclaw wrote:Handball is handball,no accidental or ball to hand.
if it’s touched by your hand free kick or pen - simple.

Totally agree with this .

However harsh it's same for both teams and makes fotballing sense .

Gets rid of refs opinion

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:44 pm

As we have broken the golden rule about the top level being the same as parks football with Goal line technology, go the next step and have a live stopwatch counting down from 45 mins with the refs stopping the clock for subs and physio's, soon reduces a lot of the time wasting.

Another we could nick from rugby is only allowing one player to speak to the ref, the continued surrounding of him by spoiled little boys wanting their way and gesticulating does my head in.

I also think sin binning for 10 mins is a fairer punishment than just booking a player as it hurts that game. Arter has done FA wrong to Brighton but he is unable to play through suspension whereas if he had 10 mins sitting next to Warnock each time he is booked he'd have to rein it in. It would also reduce bookings.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 pm

the way to get past time wasting for subs is to not stop play for them.