Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

Why Cardiff City can survive in the Premier League

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:22 pm

The Chalkboard: Why Cardiff City can survive in the Premier League

By Will Jones

Tuesday 6th November 2018

Newly-promoted Cardiff City are certainly underdogs for Premier League survival this season. However, with the right managerial approach, tactical system, self-belief and a bit of luck, the Bluebirds can confound the odds and live to fight in the top flight for another campaign.

On the chalkboard

A solid foundation is already in place in the team at the Cardiff City Stadium. In goalkeeper Neil Etheridge, centre-backs Sean Morrison and Sol Bamba, midfielder Harry After and winger Josh Murphy, the Bluebirds’ have a solid spine to their first XI.

For manager Neil Warnock, the challenge is to get this group of players, who lack reliable quality beyond the aforementioned group, playing in a manner that maximises the strengths of their key men and guards the deficiencies inherent in the group.

The key to this is returning Cardiff to the basics. By deploying a simple style of play, and ensuring that individuals commit to their instructed tasks, they can become very difficult to beat. That’s a start.

Whilst they certainly lack a quality centre-forward – surely a top priority for January – they have an exciting, explosive wide attacker in 23-year-old Murphy. His two strikes so far this season show that he has end product too.

Playing to their strengths

In maximising their greatest attributes – physicality and organisation – Warnock can get the best out of this team. However, perhaps their greatest means of ensuring survival lays in their mentality. Against Arsenal and Liverpool already this season Cardiff have shown they’re willing to scrap to the bitter end of every match and won’t give up because they’ve gone behind.

This mental resilience is vital to their chances of a strong season. If Warnock can continue to successfully cultivate and maintain this mentality, and keep his side sticking to doing the basics well, then Cardiff have a fighting chance.

It may not be pretty, but Cardiff should not shy away from their physical, long-ball approach. If their powerful striker Kenneth Zohore can find some form too then they will have the perfect focal point for the likes of Arter to target and Murphy to play off of.
Attachments
Cardiff-City-Callum-Paterson-and-Josh-Murphy.jpg
Cardiff-City-Callum-Paterson-and-Josh-Murphy.jpg (369.51 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

Re: Why Cardiff City can survive in the Premier League

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:33 pm

A- Because their are lot of pretty shite teams in this league. I’m confident we can finish above 3 of them. Best league in the world my arse

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Just a lot of arrant nonsens written by someone who I have never heard of,the plain fact of the matter is if Warnock is not replaced soon we are doomed to go down,I'm sorry to say but in my opinion Warnock is completely out of his depth and if Tan just does nothing and let's Warnock get on with it then clearly Tan has no interest in staying in the Premiership

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:21 am

angelis1949 wrote:Just a lot of arrant nonsens written by someone who I have never heard of,the plain fact of the matter is if Warnock is not replaced soon we are doomed to go down,I'm sorry to say but in my opinion Warnock is completely out of his depth and if Tan just does nothing and let's Warnock get on with it then clearly Tan has no interest in staying in the Premiership

yes of course he is out of his depth..you win promotion the manager puts his merlin suit on waves his magic wand over the squad and hey presto journeymen championship players become seasoned premier league players..easy

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:25 pm

I think will Jones is speaking a lot of sense there. Obviously everything is hypothetical and only time will tell but simply get behind the team and manager and have some belief. Trust them. We will be OK come the end of the season

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Bambasbestbuddy22 wrote:I think will Jones is speaking a lot of sense there. Obviously everything is hypothetical and only time will tell but simply get behind the team and manager and have some belief. Trust them. We will be OK come the end of the season

Last set of games of the season for us and teams around us.

Man U - Cardiff City
Southampton - Huddersfield
Fulham - Newcastle
Palace - Bournemouth
Burnley - Arsenal

Southampton, Huddersfield, Newcastle, and Fulham all with a chance of points on the last day, I hope we are safe by then or it will be a tense.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm

phildavies wrote:A- Because their are lot of pretty shite teams in this league. I’m confident we can finish above 3 of them. Best league in the world my arse

What defines the best league I would like to know? It appears that every league have a cartel where same teams fight for European places and 99.9% of them win domestic cups, in that respect premiership is no different from any other in Europe.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:45 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
phildavies wrote:A- Because their are lot of pretty shite teams in this league. I’m confident we can finish above 3 of them. Best league in the world my arse

What defines the best league I would like to know? It appears that every league have a cartel where same teams fight for European places and 99.9% of them win domestic cups, in that respect premiership is no different from any other in Europe.

We have six competing, and teams like Leicester can very occasionally slip in, most countries it's between one or two.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

We have six competing, and teams like Leicester can very occasionally slip in, most countries it's between one or two.

Complete myth since it was formed in 92-93 6 diffrent clubs have won it. And that doesn’t include two of the so called big 6.

In that same time their has been 5 diffrent Spanish and Italian champions aswell as 6 diffrent German champs so hardly much difference in competiveness in truth,

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:33 pm

phildavies wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Complete myth since it was formed in 92-93 6 diffrent clubs have won it. And that doesn’t include two of the so called big 6.

In that same time their has been 5 diffrent Spanish and Italian champions aswell as 6 diffrent German champs so hardly much difference in competiveness in truth,

2003 - Now Bayern Munich have won it 11 times and been runner-up 3 times
2003 - Barcelona have won it 9 times and been runner-up 3 times
2003 - Manu have won it 6 times and been runners-up 3 times

So the premier league looks a bit more competitive more recently

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Bluebina wrote:
phildavies wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

2003 - Now Bayern Munich have won it 11 times and been runner-up 3 times
2003 - Barcelona have won it 9 times and been runner-up 3 times
2003 - Manu have won it 6 times and been runners-up 3 times

So the premier league looks a bit more competitive more recently

Aye it’s so competitive that last year the champions only lost 2 games and won it by 19 points.
Post a reply