Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Park the bus at Everton

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:11 am

Sir Neil has said that we're just not good enough to park the bus, but we've got a fortnight to work it out.
This business of going out against the moneyball teams as if we were playing Bolton Wanderers isn't working and it's not going to work. It just results in an eventual collapse and a bucket of goals against .
Let's try for a point in these games. Pack the defence and play a sweeper in addition to everything else , keep the ball and spoil the game .
It's not what we do and no one likes it but whether or not we have the skills to pull it off, ( and we won't know till we try), it's a strategy which could prove decisive through the season. At least it should reduce our negative goal average and it wouldn't impose these morally devastating dissapointment on our players and interrupt their momentum every time they get one going .

Re: Park the bus at Everton

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Ain't going to work imo that. we will just get picked off. Tried to do that at Anfield and they still put 4 past us. Stick to our game. I don't want to go to Goodison and defend for 90 mins, it will still end in defeat if we do that, rather have a go.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Northwest_Bluebird wrote:Ain't going to work imo that. we will just get picked off. Tried to do that at Anfield and they still put 4 past us. Stick to our game. I don't want to go to Goodison and defend for 90 mins, it will still end in defeat if we do that, rather have a go.

I agree and Everton are decent but they ain’t a top six team

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Northwest_Bluebird wrote:Ain't going to work imo that. we will just get picked off. Tried to do that at Anfield and they still put 4 past us. Stick to our game. I don't want to go to Goodison and defend for 90 mins, it will still end in defeat if we do that, rather have a go.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:12 pm

Stringfellow wrote:

Agree -Top 10 would be more like it !!

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:17 pm

I really don't think we did try that at Anfield you know.
I'd agree with what you say except that I think we've learned that our normal shape will not stay the full distance against those teams. Obviously we work to change that in the mid to long term but we might as well attempt to close them down - we haven't tried before so we don't know how it'd turn out and at least it would be unexpected.
Main thing is to at least avoid a bag of goals when goal difference might be crucial and the psychological knock back of one of these late collapses.
This coming run of games is vital and I think we must try to avoid a total arse kicking in the first of them , which is why I suggest this extraordinary tactic to meet an extraordinary situation . I think we might very well turn the "mighty " wolves over the following week, but the boys must be in the right frame of mind to pull that off.
By the way, they're only 8 points in front of us and they've only scored one more goal than we have. They've got a very major defensive vulnerability which I'm sure Sir Neil has seen and unless someone twigs it in the mean time , we can exploit it .

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:04 am

I’m sorry but I agree with Nukes on this.

To successfully park the bus, you have to be of a high standard. It nearly worked for Brighton yesterday, and they just fell short - I think they have a much better defence than we do.

To expect us to successfully use this tactic against a team as good as Everton (a top ten team), is very optimistic I feel. You have to remember how tiring defending for 95 minutes is.

Our best chance in this league is to attack at all the times we can. We saw a bit of that yesterday, possibly due to the red card.

I can see a similar team playing to the one that played yesterday and the same sort of mentality. Possibly bring Arter in for Ralls.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:39 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I’m sorry but I agree with Nukes on this.

To successfully park the bus, you have to be of a high standard. It nearly worked for Brighton yesterday, and they just fell short - I think they have a much better defence than we do.

To expect us to successfully use this tactic against a team as good as Everton (a top ten team), is very optimistic I feel. You have to remember how tiring defending for 95 minutes is.

Our best chance in this league is to attack at all the times we can. We saw a bit of that yesterday, possibly due to the red card.

I can see a similar team playing to the one that played yesterday and the same sort of mentality. Possibly bring Arter in for Ralls.

Well you may be right . I hope so because I'm expecting that's what they'll do.
On the face of it, its Mission Impossible either way, but whether it's the Reg Varney method or something else I think we need to avoid being so predictable . Any manager of a moneyball team will just tell his team to just hold us till twenty minutes before the end then come at us hard when we're completely knackered and bump in three or four easy goals.
It's too obvious you see. We just haven't got the stamina for 90 minutes at that pace so we're asking for it if we just do the same thing again. We will though, won't we.