Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Next seven matches “

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:16 am

There’s now an international break after our win over Brighton, a good result to go into it with.

The last international break of 2018.

After that, we have seven fixtures before we play everyone again. We’ve already played all the “big” clubs once, apart from Man Utd.

These seven fixtures take us up until Boxing Day, and a huge opportunity to pick up points.

Everton (a)

Wolves (h)

West Ham (a)

Southampton (h)

Watford (a)

Man Utd (h)

Crystal Palace (a)

How many points will we pick up?

Re: “ Next seven matches “

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:25 am

We need a minimum of 10 points from these games

I think we have a chance in all of them

Everton (a) LOSE

Wolves (h) DRAW

West Ham (a) DRAW

Southampton (h) WIN

Watford (a) DRAW

Man Utd (h) DRAW

Crystal Palace (a) LOSE

We will just need to somehow turn one draw into a sneaky win

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:35 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:There’s now an international break after our win over Brighton, a good result to go into it with.

The last international break of 2018.

After that, we have seven fixtures before we play everyone again. We’ve already played all the “big” clubs once, apart from Man Utd.

These seven fixtures take us up until Boxing Day, and a huge opportunity to pick up points.

Everton (a) draw

Wolves (h) WIN

West Ham (a) DRAW

Southampton (h) WIN

Watford (a) LOSE

Man Utd (h) DRAW

Crystal Palace (a) LOSE

How many points will we pick up?

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:56 am

See us with a chance in Wolves and Southampton games but the others will be difficult I think.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:31 am

salopiancity wrote:See us with a chance in Wolves and Southampton games but the others will be difficult I think.

Would love to beat Wolvesalona. :thumbup:

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:49 am

Seven points, two home wins and a draw away from home. Would put us on 15 and still in the relegation zone but not cut adrift. Anything more than that would be fantastic. Am afraid it really is that hard and shows the task ahead.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:21 am

thomasblue wrote:We need a minimum of 10 points from these games

Everton (a) LOSE

Wolves (h) DRAW

West Ham (a) DRAW

Southampton (h) WIN

Watford (a) DRAW

Man Utd (h) DRAW

Crystal Palace (a) LOSE

That would give us 9 pointsvnot the minium 10 you say

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:41 am

I think we will get 5 points but I'm hoping for 12.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:42 am

If we get 9 points which I think we will 17 points at the halfway mark is a good amount. It’s likely that only around 33 points will be needed to stay up.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:54 am

troobloo3339 wrote:

Everton (a) LOSE

Wolves (h) DRAW

West Ham (a) DRAW

Southampton (h) WIN

Watford (a) DRAW

Man Utd (h) DRAW

Crystal Palace (a) LOSE

7!

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:04 pm

If we get the tactics and team selection correct I can see 3 wins,Wolves,Southampton and either West Ham or Palace.
Come on City win some more football matches.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 pm

City Slicker wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:

Everton (a) LOSE

Wolves (h) DRAW

West Ham (a) DRAW

Southampton (h) WIN

Watford (a) DRAW

Man Utd (h) DRAW

Crystal Palace (a) LOSE

7!

I know its 7
That is what i expect to get but i think we need 10 to give us a chance of survival

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:43 pm

thomasblue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:

Everton (a) LOSE

Wolves (h) DRAW

West Ham (a) DRAW

Southampton (h) WIN

Watford (a) DRAW

Man Utd (h) DRAW

Crystal Palace (a) LOSE

7!

I know its 7
That is what i expect to get but i think we need 10 to give us a chance of survival

Yes I see what you mean. I think Palace away could be a draw and there's a possibility of us beating Wolves although I wouldn't take a Southampton win as a given and I expect us to lose against United. However we may be able to sneak a point at Everton.

Whatever happens the key factor is to induce Tan to put his hand in his pocket come January and with every chance this could be a low points season for the bottom 3, anything above 14 points by midway should put pressure on him to act.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:19 pm

I think 7 and also that 7 will be enough to keep us in the mix.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:42 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:

Everton (a) LOSE

Wolves (h) DRAW

West Ham (a) DRAW

Southampton (h) WIN

Watford (a) DRAW

Man Utd (h) DRAW

Crystal Palace (a) LOSE

Everton (a) LOSE = 0 Point

Wolves (h) DRAW = 1 Point

West Ham (a) DRAW = 1 Point

Southampton (h) WIN = 3 Points

Watford (a) DRAW = 1 Point

Man Utd (h) DRAW = 1 Point

Crystal Palace (a) LOSE = 0 Point

Total = 7 points :thumbright:

Maybe wrong but I think Ned meant we actually need 10 points but will likely get 7 :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:58 pm

I think West Ham will beat us but I think we could sneak a win at Watford. However I’d settle for 6pts it’s keeps us in the race. If we stay in the race it’s all down to January window and recruitment which we have to do early.

If we have a decent window and get 3 quality players, for me a right back, striker and another defensive midfielder and we could be in with a shout of staying up.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:20 pm

We MUST get 5
We SHOULD get 7
We COULD get 9

If we can manage 9 and we get about 4 new players as mentioned by Sir Neil yesterday, then I still believe that we can start going after teams in the new year and take ourselves well clear of the bottom .

Our boys have had one hell of a time against overwhelming forces but they're surviving somehow and by now each and every one of them must be bloody hard. Actually, they've done what they couldn't do and, man for man, they've learned to routinely punch a long way above their weight , take the pain and fight on. Give them a fair break by providing quality in a few key areas , and I still think they can stop trying to just hold the line and go hunting.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:55 pm

City Slicker wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:

Everton (a) LOSE

Wolves (h) DRAW

West Ham (a) DRAW

Southampton (h) WIN

Watford (a) DRAW

Man Utd (h) DRAW

Crystal Palace (a) LOSE

7!

I know its 7

Yes I see what you mean. I think Palace away could be a draw and there's a possibility of us beating Wolves although I wouldn't take a Southampton win as a given and I expect us to lose against United. However we may be able to sneak a point at Everton.

Whatever happens the key factor is to induce Tan to put his hand in his pocket come January and with every chance this could be a low points season for the bottom 3, anything above 14 points by midway should put pressure on him to act.

After watching Everton get a well deserved point at Chelsea today, I think we will struggle there. If Hughes is still in charge at Southampton, I think we will beat them, draw with Wolves and Palace and lose the rest, so going with 5 points. Fulham have a really tough run of fixtures during this period so expect them to stay below us. I expect us to still be bottom three going into 2019 but to escape by the skin of our teeth.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:01 am

The united game will be interesting. Nowadays you never know which team are going to turn up, they were totally embarrassed today by City, there were times during the game that they just didn’t have a clue how tp play let alone attack.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Not being a pessimist just a realist but I reckon we'll lose all the away games, lose at home to Man U and Wolves and draw at home v Saints.

We got lucky on Saturday. Brighton with 11 would have fancied a win. It was only fortune that got us the late winner after creating absolutely nothing against 10 men until then. I know Harris hit the bar but that was in isolation.

Our lack of creativity and ability to pass onto running players in space is non existent. Our failure to pass accurately and at pace and inability to close down the opposition is painful to watch.

Our wing backs are woeful. Our central defenders cannot prevent simple errors leading to goals.

And on top of that we have a full back playing centre forward. He's done brilliantly but we have no one to adequately hold up the ball and bring midfielders into the game.

This all stems from the failure of the club to

1) supplement the best of the championship team rather than trying to get basically the championship team [plus 2/3 championship players and two loanees who couldn't get into their parent clubs team] to try to adapt ads they go along with the higher levels of opponents; and
2) appoint a coach who can get players to pass and move at pace towards goal.

We should take the high of Saturday and bottle it as we ain't going to see much more of that with our current squad. team spirit only gets you so far; it does not make up for patent inadequacies in the players abilities at this level.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:41 pm

How likely are Southampton to change manager before then?

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:14 pm

I can see us beating Wolves and Southampton home and getting an away win in one of those games. Hoping for 10 points with a bit of luck

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Need to stay in touch with the other clubs at the bottom come Xmas time .