Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Have we matched your expectations? “

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Below is the current league table and all our league results, after 12 games.

How are we doing? Did you expect us to do better or worse?

Important to remember that of these 12 games, half of them have been against the current top six.

For me, we are in a better position than I expected. I expected us to be a few points adrift of safety at this point, especially given our tough fixtures at the start of the season.

Fans of other teams and some pundits suggested we’d be as good as relegated by Christmas, but that looks very unlikely.

No doubt it will be a long season for us and it will probably go down to the wire if we are to stay up. But I think we should be encouraged that we are only in the bottom three on goal difference.

We have already proved a few people wrong and I’m feeling more positive than I did before the Bournemouth game.

CARDIFF CITY’S FIRST 12 PREMIER LEAGUE RESULTS

AFC Bournemouth 2-0 Cardiff City

Cardiff City 0-0 Newcastle United

Huddersfield Town 0-0 Cardiff City

Cardiff City 2-3 Arsenal

Chelsea 4-1 Cardiff City

Cardiff City 0-5 Manchester City

Cardiff City 1-2 Burnley

Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Cardiff City

Cardiff City 4-2 Fulham

Liverpool 4-1 Cardiff City

Cardiff City 0-1 Leicester City

Cardiff City 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion

31F69D25-E4A5-41F8-A142-6920A4EE48C3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Have we matched your expectations? “

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:20 am

Ned, to be honest, I expected us to be in the bottom three and maybe even slightly adrift in 20th

The start of the season was tough (one pundit called it cruel for a newly promoted side) and we were always going to be on a steep learning curve with so few players who had played in the Premier League before

I think that so far we have held our own (with the exception of the Man City game and in spells against Chelsea and Arsenal) and might even have got a couple of additional points had the footballing spirits favoured us

For the future, I feel the side is starting to settle and are adapting to what the bulk of Premier League sides are about. We won't win every game (not even against those around us) but we will battle and we will gain more points because we have a team that will battle for and with each other

And we have the transfer window to come with (hopefully, if we are still in touch) the owner releasing the purse strings to bring in some players in a couple of positions we know need strengthening! :thumbright:

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:33 am

:ayatollah:
Sven wrote:Ned, to be honest, I expected us to be in the bottom three and maybe even slightly adrift in 20th

The start of the season was tough (one pundit called it cruel for a newly promoted side) and we were always going to be on a steep learning curve with so few players who had played in the Premier League before

I think that so far we have held our own (with the exception of the Man City game and in spells against Chelsea and Arsenal) and might even have got a couple of additional points had the footballing spirits favoured us

For the future, I feel the side is starting to settle and are adapting to what the bulk of Premier League sides are about. We won't win every game (not even against those around us) but we will battle and we will gain more points because we have a team that will battle for and with each other

And we have the transfer window to come with (hopefully, if we are still in touch) the owner releasing the purse strings to bring in some players in a couple of positions we know need strengthening! :thumbright:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: well said Sven, great ost :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:02 am

Yes,I think most of us knew this was gonna be a dog fight and as long as we stay in the hunt we'll have a chance.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:15 am

Yes,m pretty much where I was expecting us to be at this stage. Finishing 17th is our only real target for this season.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:14 pm

We're doing slightly better than I expected. I thought we'd be relegated from the outset, and so far haven't really seen enough to change my mind. I didn't think Fulham would adapt so badly.

I'm enjoying the season more than I thought as we have a real battling spirit. A couple of inspired buys in January, and who knows? :bluescarf:

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:16 pm

I think we are about where I expected and and thought the teams around us would have similar amount of points.

I'm surprised all the teams in and around us don't have more points though.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:39 pm

When the season kickef off expectations (or hopes) were that we we wernt cut adrift by chrisrmas so we can strenghen and make a good go of staying up.

Gotta love the underdog mentality, less stressful!!!

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:09 pm

I didn't expect us to ship so many goals so easily and be harder to beat but I'm sure that will come. We are about the position I expected given the fixture list and the lack of a centre forward signing close season.

:bluebird:

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:43 pm

expected to be less competitive in a lot of games and out of them by half time which has only happened once...

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:20 pm

i knew we'd be in the bottom 5, my expectations were a point a game. we'd have got close to that if we'd beaten newcastle and picked up a point against burnley as we should have.

there are quite a few poor sides this year in the premier league. i think we've got a 40-60 chance of staying up, which is about what i thought at the start.