Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SKY BREAKING: ' FULHAM SACK & THEN NAME NEW MANAGER '

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 am

SKY BREAKING: Claudio Ranieri has been named as the new Fulham manager!

BREAKING NEWS

14/11/18

Fulham have sacked manager Slavisa Jokanovic and hired Claudio Ranieri as his replacement.

Fulham say former Chelsea and Leicester boss Ranieri has been hired on a "multi-year contract".

He told the club website: "The objective at Fulham should never be to merely survive in the Premier League. We must at all times be a difficult opponent and should expect to succeed.

"This Fulham squad has exceptional talent that is contrary to its position in the table. I know this team is very capable of better performances, which we will work on straight away as we prepare for Southampton at the Cottage [Fulham's next game].”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: SKY BREAKING: ' FULHAM SACK & THEN NAME NEW MANAGER '

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:28 am

Claudio Ranieri appointed Fulham manager after Slavisa Jokanovic sacked -

Wednesday 14th November 2018

Former Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri has been appointed Fulham manager, replaced Slavisa Jokanvoic.

Cardiff City's relegation rivals have been struggling at the bottom of the Premier League table, winning just once from 12 games.

The Cottagers came up via the Championship play-offs last season, alongside Cardiff and Wolves, but haven't hit the ground running despite spending in excess of £100million.

They have brought in the likes of Andre Schurrle, Aleksandr Mitrovic and Alfie Mawson but after winning their second game of the season, have gone on a damaging run of defeats.

That included a 4-2 reverse to the Bluebirds at Cardiff City Stadium last month.

And after mounting pressure, Fulham owner Shahid Khan has replaced Jokanovic with Premier League winner Ranieri.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:29 am

:bluebird:

Latest Premier League Table

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 am

Now we will see how good these players are, Allardyce would have kept them up, interesting to see if Ranieri can???

Bad news for us again anyway !!!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:44 am

Bluebina wrote:Now we will see how good these players are, Allardyce would have kept them up, interesting to see if Ranieri can???

Bad news for us again anyway !!!

Agreed, they should now stay up, be interesting.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:46 am

Fulham sack Slavisa Jokanovic and appoint Claudio Ranieri

Welcome back to the Premier League Ranieri

BBC

Wednesday 14th November 2018

Fulham have sacked manager Slavisa Jokanovic and replaced him with Claudio Ranieri, who guided Leicester to the Premier League title in 2016.

Jokanovic makes way with the Cottagers sitting bottom of the Premier League table with five points from 12 matches.

Italian Ranieri, 67, has been given a "multi-year" contract by the Londoners.

"Making a change without having the right answer or succession plan was not an option," said Fulham chairman Shahid Khan.

"So having someone of Claudio's calibre ready to accept our challenge was comforting but, most of all, essential.

"Claudio is risk-free and ready-made for the Premier League, and particularly so for what we need at this moment at Fulham.

"His recent body of work with Leicester City is literally legendary, and then you look at Claudio's experience with Chelsea and big clubs throughout Europe, and it's pretty evident we are welcoming an extraordinary football man to Fulham Football Club."

Khan said he and his son Tony Khan, the club's vice chairman and director of football operations, spoke with a number of potential candidates over the past week.

"It is an honour to accept Mr Khan's invitation and opportunity to lead Fulham, a fantastic club with tradition and history," said Ranieri, who spent last season in charge of French club Nantes.

"The objective at Fulham should never be to merely survive in the Premier League. We must at all times be a difficult opponent and should expect to succeed.

"This Fulham squad has exceptional talent that is contrary to its position in the table."

Ranieri's first game in charge will see Fulham host Southampton at Craven Cottage on Saturday, 24 November.

"I know this team is very capable of better performances, which we will work on straight away as we prepare for Southampton at the Cottage," he added.

Jokanovic sacking 'correct decision'

Jokanovic, who joined the club in December 2015, led Fulham to promotion via the play-offs last season.

But they have so far registered just one win on their return to the Premier League after four seasons in the Championship.

"I wasn't anticipating having to make this announcement related to Slavisa and wish the circumstances were such that I didn't have to, but our path this season has led me to make what I know is the correct decision, at the right time, for our players, the club and our supporters," added Khan.

"Slavisa will always have my appreciation and respect for everything he did to return Fulham to top-flight football.

"I am hoping everyone in the Fulham family shares my heartfelt sentiments for Slavisa and joins me in wishing him success and good fortune, wherever his next stop may be."

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:06 am

The main problem from our point of view is that players would choose to go to Fulham rather than us in January because of the reputation of the manager

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 am

bluebird58 wrote:The main problem from our point of view is that players would choose to go to Fulham rather than us in January because of the reputation of the manager

I agree he has a lot of contacts, he will attract better quality players, most teams get a bounce anyway with any new Manager.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:17 am

and major factor you simply cannot dislike Ranieri, he's one of the nicest managers around and always complimentary, Fulham have made a sterling appointment.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:18 am

TBH most foreign players would choose Fulham over Cardiff , because they are in London.
Ranieri won't be looking for the cheaper options either.
But will the expensive type player have the stomach for a relegation fight ?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am

He achieved the impossible with Leicester but was woeful the following season. This is by no means a guarantee of safety for Fulham. It's a roll of the dice.

I don't think he'll be able to attract many 'star' players. The threat of relegation will be off-putting and they'll need massive relegation wage drops. Fulham's whole recruitment policy is messed up. Hopefully they'll spend another 100m and continue to go backwards. I sense another Leeds/Sunderland/villa happening at that club.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:22 am

RANIERI'S TEAM

Sky Sports

We understand Claudio Ranieri is expected to bring a backroom staff of four or five assistants/coaches with him to Fulham.

Scott Parker, who became part of Slavisa Jokanovic's backroom staff in July, is expected to remain as part of Ranieri's backroom team.

The former Leicester manager is presently in London.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 am

'CLAUDIO IS RISK-FREE'

Here's what Fulham chairman Shahid Khan has said about changing manager...

"Making a change without having the right answer or succession plan was not an option, so having someone of Claudio’s calibre ready to accept our challenge was comforting but, most of all, essential.

"Claudio is risk-free and ready-made for the Premier League, and particularly so for what we need at this moment at Fulham.

"His recent body of work with Leicester City is literally legendary, and then you look at Claudio’s experience with Chelsea and big clubs throughout Europe, and it’s pretty evident we are welcoming an extraordinary football man to Fulham Football Club."

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:47 am

“This Fulham squad has exceptional talent that is contrary to its position in the table.” Their pener is clearly as deluded as their fans a lot of the pundits and many on here who completely overate them. They have the worst team in the league and will finish bottom as I have been saying since the summer. Their defence is an utter joke by far the worst in the league they spent a stupid amount on some very average players. Up front they only have Mitrovic so if he gets injured/banned they are even more screwed.

Bottom of the league for Fulham with 26 points max as they are the worst side in the league but still get lauded as being good by the media just because they are a London club and spent a lot of money on overated has beens, untested players and overhyped players that bigger clubs didn’t want to splash the cash for.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Fulham prem league champs 2019/20.

Get your money down.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Not good news! Ranieri is quality and will probably keep them up ;)

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Ive always liked Ranieri but I don't think this is risk free. The season he won the prem was Leicester was insane but after that he struggled and couldn't get them out of a rut. When things aren't going well I don't think he is the obvious choice to turn it around like a big Sam would.

They sacked him when Leicester were 1 point above the bottom 3.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Dont know why everyone is worried for, there's no guarantee he'll keep them up, did a miracle with Leicester but was diabolical the next season

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:Dont know why everyone is worried for, there's no guarantee he'll keep them up, did a miracle with Leicester but was diabolical the next season

Exactly. Did well at Leicester with a group of hardworking honest professionals. Which is exactly what Fulahm are not!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:18 pm

not risk free that's for sure..

been sacked twice since winning the title..

and the team he took over to win that title had just won 7 out of 9 { 22pts points from 9 } which itself was title winning form and hardly the keystone cop outfit he is taking over this time..

like most manager changes in this situ its a gamble that can go either way..

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:00 pm

finishing 1st and then leading the same group of players down to the championship is about as volatile a run as i've ever seen in the game - risk free my arse.

the question is whether fulham are more likely to stay up as a result? i'm not sure. fulham's problem is their defence, which is shocking. ranieri will no doubt wheel and deal in january, but is there any money left? i doubt he would have taken the job without a promise of some funds.

it's a cracking little club, but obviously i hope they continue to struggle.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Reason Fulham has struggled is down to the amount of players they got and struggling to find the balance in midfield, haven't they changed formation and defence near enough every game since they come up?

Never would you see a team spend 100 million and probably have more points and look better with the team they had without the 100 million spent..

I remember they beat us 4-2 at our place and the weather was atrocious but they played like it was nothing, they battered us and played us off the park.. we was lucky to even get the game back to 2-1 with a Zohore thunderbolt.. easily one of the best team that played at our place never seen a dominate us like that bar teams we played in the Prem.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Good appointment for them.

But some are reacting like they appointed Guardiola. It’s Ranieri and, despite his success in the game, he does have short-comings. Was sacked at the right time by Leicester.

If he’s so good, then why isn’t he the manager of a bigger club than Fulham?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:23 pm

northernbluebird wrote:finishing 1st and then leading the same group of players down to the championship is about as volatile a run as i've ever seen in the game - risk free my arse.

the question is whether fulham are more likely to stay up as a result? i'm not sure. fulham's problem is their defence, which is shocking. ranieri will no doubt wheel and deal in january, but is there any money left? i doubt he would have taken the job without a promise of some funds.

it's a cracking little club, but obviously i hope they continue to struggle.

going by his comments im not to sure their chairman is grasping they are in a relegation battle..
no mention of relegation, just how good his team are ,and how Ranieri is a no risk appointment

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:03 am

Arsene Wenger, Leonardo Jardim and Andre Villas-Boas turned down the chance to manage Fulham before they appointed Claudio Ranieri.

Daily Mail