Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: “ Chelsea fans trying to take Cardiff’s end “

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Jock wrote:Remember it well, ended up locked up in a cell under Central Station, an eventful day :lol:

Jock even more eventful for you then :lol:

Kept me in for an hour then threw me out :oops:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Not saying it was a good thing, in fact it could be dangerous, but that's how it was back then. The OP just shows some photos from a game a lot of us were at. Truth is, there was safety in numbers, especially at away games. Mind you, Tudor Street could be a long walk at times! I never got into trouble myself, but always kept safe by staying with the crowd. A lot of the lads would watch out for the likes of me at games. They knew my face, that I was Cardiff, and, ironically perhaps, kept me out of trouble. Good lads, on the whole.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:28 pm

I recollect the hotdog stand being upturned - was it at the Chelsea game? It happened a few times I seem to remember. There was more action going on the terraces than there was on the pitch. :old:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Jock wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Jock wrote:Remember it well, ended up locked up in a cell under Central Station, an eventful day :lol:

Jock even more eventful for you then :lol:

Kept me in for an hour then threw me out :oops:

:thumbright:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:46 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Not saying it was a good thing, in fact it could be dangerous, but that's how it was back then. The OP just shows some photos from a game a lot of us were at. Truth is, there was safety in numbers, especially at away games. Mind you, Tudor Street could be a long walk at times! I never got into trouble myself, but always kept safe by staying with the crowd. A lot of the lads would watch out for the likes of me at games. They knew my face, that I was Cardiff, and, ironically perhaps, kept me out of trouble. Good lads, on the whole.

Virtually Spot on :thumbright:

There is so much to talk about and these photos bring up the past, it happened and many of us rem it, not boasting about it, it was part of the times :thumbright:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:47 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:I recollect the hotdog stand being upturned - was it at the Chelsea game? It happened a few times I seem to remember. There was more action going on the terraces than there was on the pitch. :old:

It was the time Hickey / Chelsea cane on the Bob Bank late 70’s. :thumbright:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:Haven't we gone over all this before on here, and not so long back. Anyway, very lively, with Cardiff more than holding their own throughout the day, including before, during in the Canton stand, and straight after the game. Once they let the whole of the away end out, it was a different story. They were the best to have ever come to Ninian Park imo.

Yes we might have, but I had not seen these pics before :thumbright:

I've seen them before, a few times, thought it was on here once tbh.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:57 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:Haven't we gone over all this before on here, and not so long back. Anyway, very lively, with Cardiff more than holding their own throughout the day, including before, during in the Canton stand, and straight after the game. Once they let the whole of the away end out, it was a different story. They were the best to have ever come to Ninian Park imo.

There are similar photos of Pompey on the Grange end at Cardiff, I put out, similar clothes :thumbright:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:I recollect the hotdog stand being upturned - was it at the Chelsea game? It happened a few times I seem to remember. There was more action going on the terraces than there was on the pitch. :old:

It was the time Hickey / Chelsea cane on the Bob Bank late 70’s. :thumbright:

:thumbright:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Anybody who thinks it cringeworthy grown men reminiscing let me tell you it was and still is a reason why lots follow Cardiff because of the rep we gained/have. Same ppl calling it cringeworthy have no doubt been saved from dodgy situations by the same lads so think twice before your do gooders comments. Hypocrites

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

There are similar photos of Pompey on the Grange end at Cardiff, I put out, similar clothes :thumbright:

Put that one up again Annis. I missed that one though I did see the one with Cardiff on the grange end facing the Man U fans in 74.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:50 pm

I was there, and when they came on the Bob in ‘78. They were nuts in those days. I think football was.

No teeth Doug Rougvie - orrible..

Jock - had you been fare dodging again?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Was walking out when I saw them coming up behind the Canton. Chelsea were also on the touchline and the ref saved a riot by giving them a penalty inthe last minute

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Anyone remember West Brom on the Grange End early 70's but run off? Only club to take the Grange End and stay on it but not many mention it is Portsmouth who took the Grange End and stayed there all game in the 70's

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:19 pm

bluebird58 wrote:Embarrassing that grown men still think this was a good thing.

It was disgusting and frightening for the thousands of sensible people who went to try and watch the football without getting involved in this sort of incident. I hated having to keep an eye out for trouble both in and out of grounds when I just wanted to support my team.

If you were involved, it was nothing to be proud of, neither then or now.

Thankfully this happens rarely nowadays.

Makes you laugh when you see a thread about vilifying rugby fans for acting up. I don't disagree that they cause trouble and j always avoid town when the internationals are on, but you can't glorify football hooliganism and then condemn the rugby fans for less.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:35 pm

keanoswinklepickers wrote:Anyone remember West Brom on the Grange End early 70's but run off? Only club to take the Grange End and stay on it but not many mention it is Portsmouth who took the Grange End and stayed there all game in the 70's

I remember Pompey taking the Grange End.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:39 pm

TommyP wrote:

It was disgusting and frightening for the thousands of sensible people who went to try and watch the football without getting involved in this sort of incident. I hated having to keep an eye out for trouble both in and out of grounds when I just wanted to support my team.

Makes you laugh when you see a thread about vilifying rugby fans for acting up. I don't disagree that they cause trouble and j always avoid town when the internationals are on, but you can't glorify football hooliganism and then condemn the rugby fans for less.

was 40 years ago mate and its not like that now.......where as the rugby were bad then still bad now

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 pm

keanoswinklepickers wrote:Anyone remember West Brom on the Grange End early 70's but run off? Only club to take the Grange End and stay on it but not many mention it is Portsmouth who took the Grange End and stayed there all game in the 70's

Pompey gets mentioned in everyone of these type threads and has been in this one...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:53 pm

i remember it well was only 14, remember mostly all the aggro in the bus station afterwards

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:05 pm

So Tottenham never get mentioned!
First club to leave the Enclosure early and try and steam onto the Grange End. Mayhem.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:07 pm

dogfound wrote:
TommyP wrote:

was 40 years ago mate and its not like that now.......where as the rugby were bad then still bad now

Hardly comparable though is it? Away and home fans sit together and drink together at the rugby with minimal issues. Can you really expect Cardiff fans to behave if we were allowed amongst home fans? I'm sure the majority would be fine but I've seen away fans fighting amongst themselves it would only be worse if they weren't segregated.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:28 pm

keanoswinklepickers wrote:So Tottenham never get mentioned!
First club to leave the Enclosure early and try and steam onto the Grange End. Mayhem.

Which game was that, the cup game, or the league game the season after? I was at both, but on the Bob Bank. Remember Tottenham in the enclosure, but don't remember the trouble, to be honest.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:

Which game was that, the cup game, or the league game the season after? I was at both, but on the Bob Bank. Remember Tottenham in the enclosure, but don't remember the trouble, to be honest.

1977 cup game they left enclosure and stood outside the grange end. Coppers Were there but Spurs waited for Cardiff to leave grange end. Cardiff threw stones and bottles and if my knowledge serves me right (I was 15), they didn’t come out til Spurs were ushered away.
That’s what was happening when I left anyway.
Last edited by bluebirdoct1962 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:

was the cup game and the old grange end.......took a while for us to get out .

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:09 am

rumpo kid wrote:I was there, and when they came on the Bob in ‘78. They were nuts in those days. I think football was.

No teeth Doug Rougvie - orrible..

Jock - had you been fare dodging again?

Yes mate they caught me with a child’s ticket :lol:

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:10 am

Gave Cardiff City and football a bad name ,gone now , nothing to be proud of

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:37 am

Scoularfan wrote:Gave Cardiff City and football a bad name ,gone now , nothing to be proud of

There’s been fighting at football matches for well over 100years and though it’s reduced there will always be incidents.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:48 am

1977 ?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:21 pm

I was 16

I remember it very well - I broke the 100m sprint record through Canton that day.

I jumped into someones garden in an attempt to avoid it.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Not glamourising just remembering...………

Sours 77 was the cup game and the first trouble I saw that day was when a small group of Spurs fans got an old fashioned banner out on the Grange End near the left hand front. Their out numbered treatment got the main Spurs fans in the Enclosure at the Canton Stand end going. At the end of the match they ran up Sloper Rd and steamed into the first lot out of the Grange End. They were on top at first and then it got more even as the main Cardiff groups got out - as they would have been at the back middle of the Grange End.

That was the cup match before the Everton game that has featured in multiple threads on here and in the usual books.

It was a crazy season of terrace trouble. As others have said - long time ago and I prefer remembering the players/matches and so on but it happened and it was part of our youth. It is also funny that I'll be sitting on a sun lounger somewhere on holiday and the bored bloke along the pool will strike up a conversation, ask where you're from, see how old you are and then say...…………."cor, I remember you lot once in Hereford/Paddington/New St etc"