Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: O/T Brexit & Theresa May

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:12 am

northernbluebird wrote:
Dave67 wrote:I have just dug up your forecast of Neil Etheridge from October 2017.....

northernbluebird from October 2017 on Neil Etheridge wrote:it's certainly a strange situation as he doesnt inspire confidence and always looks to have an error in him, but you check his record and its the best in the league!

he is not helped by playing alongside players like bamba who play him into trouble, and who is even more error prone by the way, IMO.

Seems forecasts are not as easy as you would have us believe.

trawling through page after page of my posts and that's the worst you can find? i'm flattered. i also think you need to get some hobbies / a job.

Really is beyond pathetic, still now we know the shite deal May got us is down to Bamba not defending the second ball. :lol:

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:33 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:A no deal brexit...

▪️We turn all the EU external tariffs against ourselves
▪️Multiplying the beuraucracy and costs at our island's main food port
▪️Removing the rights of 1.4 million emigrant Brits to live in their homes
▪️Ending the Good Friday Agreement
▪️Massively increasing the average export distances for UK businesses.
▪️Leaving EURATOM, which allows us to quickly get the radioactive materials necessary for treating CANCER.
▪️Ending trade deals which make up over 60% of our international trade.

The PMs deal resolves many of these but keeps us partially in and subject to the EU without a vote... plus we have to pay.

All in all “clusterfuck” seems like the appropriate word

It doesn't mean any if that though, does it ?
Given that we keep hearing that we apparently didn't understand what we were doing in voting to leave , this post is a very good example of someone who's bought into project fear completely and is repeating scare stories which are simply untrue.

It has never been the practise of independent nation states to envisage possible future problems and abdicate their independence to avoid them, but rather to address and overcome them as and when they arise. We have nothing to fear from Europe, as we have proven over a period of many centuries during which they have unsuccessfully threatened us, and it's quite a new thing for those who are intimidated by such threats to have such a loud voice. Ultimately, we can if necessary be just as awkward toward the Eu as they could be toward us and I rather doubt that they really want that.
The matter is settled in terms of the outcome since there is no time for any Parliamentry or other process to prevent us leaving the eu on the scheduled date , so you might as well stop carping at this point. Wherever terms are or are not agreed will have to be dealt with, and either way we can do that. Personally , I consider "no deal" the very best option in point of fact, but at this stage we are merely bickering about details and in that process perhaps we should stop trying to foretell the future and instead deal with the reality of the present .

( for the avoidance of doubt, that was one of my completely serious posts )

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:50 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

▪️Leaving EURATOM, which allows us to quickly get the radioactive materials necessary for treating CANCER.

The PMs deal resolves many of these but keeps us partially in and subject to the EU without a vote... plus we have to pay.

Given that we keep hearing that we apparently didn't understand what we were doing in voting to leave , this post is a very good example of someone who's bought into project fear completely and is repeating scare stories which are simply untrue.

It has never been the practise of independent nation states to envisage possible future problems and abdicate their independence to avoid them, but rather to address and overcome them as and when they arise. We have nothing to fear from Europe, as we have proven over a period of many centuries during which they have unsuccessfully threatened us, and it's quite a new thing for those who are intimidated by such threats to have such a loud voice. Ultimately, we can if necessary be just as awkward toward the Eu as they could be toward us and I rather doubt that they really want that.
The matter is settled in terms of the outcome since there is no time for any Parliamentry or other process to prevent us leaving the eu on the scheduled date , so you might as well stop carping at this point. Wherever terms are or are not agreed will have to be dealt with, and either way we can do that. Personally , I consider "no deal" the very best option in point of fact, but at this stage we are merely bickering about details and in that process perhaps we should stop trying to foretell the future and instead deal with the reality of the present .

Thing is Jimmy, you have'nt addressed the big problem. If we leave the EU we will all die from cancer. Won't be long before we are told that leaving the EU will make the UK more likely to be hit by an asteroid. (Still waiting for the emergency budget to ensure our economy does not collapse. The one Osborne said would be needed within weeks of a leave vote).

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Thing is Jimmy, you have'nt addressed the big problem. If we leave the EU we will all die from cancer. Won't be long before we are told that leaving the EU will make the UK more likely to be hit by an asteroid. (Still waiting for the emergency budget to ensure our economy does not collapse. The one Osborne said would be needed within weeks of a leave vote).

Don’t forget the Dutch sperm.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Jock wrote:Only 44% of our exports went to the EU and when you factor in some of that transited through EU Ports like Rotterdam heading to non EU countries our trade with the EU is nearer 35%.

Given that 40% of UK exports are services and go nowhere near a port your 35% figure would mean that 35% of our physical exports go through EU ports to non-EU countries.

Please provide a source for this or I will assume you are making it up as you go along.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Jock wrote:Really is beyond pathetic, still now we know the shite deal May got us is down to Bamba not defending the second ball. :lol:

Yet again, play the man - ignore the point.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:25 pm

northernbluebird wrote:trawling through page after page of my posts and that's the worst you can find? i'm flattered. i also think you need to get some hobbies / a job.

I looked at you account because I suspect that your's may be a multi account.

Low post count/recent member parroting the points as the usual suspects on these threads.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

No good talking sense to this one, Steve. He believes it was all one way traffic and no one from 'Remain' ever 'spun' a thing in their favour...! :roll:

Cameron and Osborne now trading as Bodgitt and Scarper (Monaco), Ltd. ;)

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:35 pm

Sven wrote:No good talking sense to this one, Steve.

Don't listen to him Steve.

You keep trying to talk sense - you will make it one day.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:48 pm

So.... Just to return to the topic. What a bloody mess the Tories have made. In my lifetime I have never seen a government quite so "broken" by internal strife and personal ambition. And all of them saying they are acting in the country's interests. Truly shameful. :bluebird:

Don't worry we can pay the EU infarthing, halfpenny and half crowns. For the glory of the British Empire.

Dave67 wrote:
Jock wrote:Only 44% of our exports went to the EU and when you factor in some of that transited through EU Ports like Rotterdam heading to non EU countries our trade with the EU is nearer 35%.

Given that 40% of UK exports are services and go nowhere near a port your 35% figure would mean that 35% of our physical exports go through EU ports to non-EU countries.

Please provide a source for this or I will assume you are making it up as you go along.

I couldn’t give a monkeys fart what you assume. It’s from Fact Checker and refers to 2016 2017 figures (goods and services)
Problem with this whole debate is Remainers start from a position of everyone who voted leave is a bit thick therefore they tend to be very condescending and disrespectful. In truth there’s little point debating this with you.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:52 pm

captbirdseye wrote:Don't worry we can pay the EU infarthing, halfpenny and half crowns. For the glory of the British Empire.

A Cambridge Academic actually believes those who voted Brexit did so because they long for a return of the British Empire, I’d assumed he was a lone moon howler, completely out of touch with the day to day realities of everyday life, perhaps he wasn’t alone in that after all.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Jock wrote:I couldn’t give a monkeys fart what you assume. It’s from Fact Checker and refers to 2016 2017 figures (goods and services)

It would seem that you couldn't give a monkey's fart for telling the truth either....

Source

FactChecker wrote:Both the Office for National Statistics and the government's review of our EU membership have concluded that it's hard to quantify the extent of this ‘Rotterdam effect’ or establish whether it's a serious problem for the statistics.

The ONS has estimated that it may account for around 2% of all exported goods and services to the EU.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Jock wrote:Problem with this whole debate is Remainers start from a position of everyone who voted leave is a bit thick therefore they tend to be very condescending and disrespectful. In truth there’s little point debating this with you.

Apologies If I upset you by pointing out that you were making it up as you go along.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Jock wrote:A Cambridge Academic actually believes those who voted Brexit did so because they long for a return of the British Empire, I’d assumed he was a lone moon howler, completely out of touch with the day to day realities of everyday life, perhaps he wasn’t alone in that after all.

Don't bother naming the academic or linking the source of your point. That would make it far too easy for people to check whether you are making it up as you go along.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Dave67 wrote:
Jock wrote:A Cambridge Academic actually believes those who voted Brexit did so because they long for a return of the British Empire, I’d assumed he was a lone moon howler, completely out of touch with the day to day realities of everyday life, perhaps he wasn’t alone in that after all.

Don't bother naming the academic or linking the source of your point. That would make it far too easy for people to check whether you are making it up as you go along.

Listen Fannybawz i really couldn’t care what you think or believe,it was reported at the time, think it’s a crock of shite? it changes nothing.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:10 pm

I voted leave because the French are weird.

Sauce: Jean Claude Junker

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:47 pm

rumpo kid wrote:I voted leave because the French are weird.

He's Luxembourgish

Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:31 pm

City Slicker wrote:

He's Luxembourgish

Well, I'm not sure whether he was born there, but his father was certainly an unpleasant Nazi who remained there after the war.
Personally, I can see him in the uniform quite easily.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:17 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

He's Luxembourgish

Well, I'm not sure whether he was born there, but his father was certainly an unpleasant Nazi who remained there after the war.

Yes born in Redange. Good for him he's overseeing a very worthwhile project. The sins of the fathers are not necessarily visited upon their sons.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:44 pm

City Slicker wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

He's Luxembourgish

Yes born in Redange. Good for him he's overseeing a very worthwhile project. The sins of the fathers are not necessarily visited upon their sons.

Says they are in the Bible.
In any case, there are some very obvious similarities between the EU project and the third Reich, and if you were to research it you'd find close connections between them. Matters not here though because , as I said above,we ARE leaving at this point and anyone who was daft enough to believe the arguments for remaining in it can only cry into their schnapps now.
Personally , I don't warm to the man , but similarly that's quite academic at this point. His dream of a pan European crap hole populated by fugitive jihadists and ruled from Germany without the need for democracy or consensual laws is dead in the water - with or without us it will fragment and cease to exist within five to ten years maximum.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:56 pm

City Slicker wrote:The sins of the fathers are not necessarily visited upon their sons.

City Slicker, before accepting the premise of their point you might want to check out it's legitimacy.

It seems to derive from this Sun Article

and was taken up as propaganda by some Rabid Brexit Campaigns

Other newspapers did not take up the story

The telegraph later reflects on it in this piece.

The Telegraph wrote:Born in 1924 to a working class family, Mr Juncker’s father Joseph, a steel worker and a Christian trade unionist, was forcibly conscripted into the German Wehrmacht army during the War.

In 1942 over 10,000 Luxembourgers were forced to serve in the German army, prompting a nationwide general strike that was brutally crushed by the tiny Grand Duchy’s Nazi occupiers.

The wounds are still raw. In 1997, the Luxembourg leader wept in the margins of an EU summit with Ukraine recalling how his father was wounded fighting in Odessa under duress as a forced conscript in a Nazi army that he loathed.

Over 2,800 of the forced conscripts from Luxembourg died, a history that reinforces Mr Juncker’s mission to keep a reunified Germany bound to France within European structures, such as the euro.

Last month, his father, aged 90, who is frail and living in nursing home, wept when a radio station reported on The Sun newspaper’s allegation that he was the Juncker family’s “Nazi link”, an episode that has hardened his son’s hostility to British opposition to his appointment.

“He was stunned,” said a source close to Mr Juncker. “He despairs that the disgusting part of the British press has such a large influence.”

Like many on here The Sun does not like to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 am

Dave67 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:The sins of the fathers are not necessarily visited upon their sons.

City Slicker, before accepting the premise of their point you might want to check out it's legitimacy.

The Telegraph wrote:Born in 1924 to a working class family, Mr Juncker’s father Joseph, a steel worker and a Christian trade unionist, was forcibly conscripted into the German Wehrmacht army during the War.

In 1942 over 10,000 Luxembourgers were forced to serve in the German army, prompting a nationwide general strike that was brutally crushed by the tiny Grand Duchy’s Nazi occupiers.

The wounds are still raw. In 1997, the Luxembourg leader wept in the margins of an EU summit with Ukraine recalling how his father was wounded fighting in Odessa under duress as a forced conscript in a Nazi army that he loathed.

Over 2,800 of the forced conscripts from Luxembourg died, a history that reinforces Mr Juncker’s mission to keep a reunified Germany bound to France within European structures, such as the euro.

Last month, his father, aged 90, who is frail and living in nursing home, wept when a radio station reported on The Sun newspaper’s allegation that he was the Juncker family’s “Nazi link”, an episode that has hardened his son’s hostility to British opposition to his appointment.

“He was stunned,” said a source close to Mr Juncker. “He despairs that the disgusting part of the British press has such a large influence.”

Like many on here The Sun does not like to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

So you work for The Sun, then?! ;) :laughing6: :laughing6:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 am

Lengee wrote:So.... Just to return to the topic. What a bloody mess the Tories have made. In my lifetime I have never seen a government quite so "broken" by internal strife and personal ambition. And all of them saying they are acting in the country's interests. Truly shameful. :bluebird:

why not make a list of the worse hundred words you can think of with Tories at the end instead of this silliness..

Corbyn said he does not know which way he would vote if there was a 2nd vote...so yes there are differing views within all the parties in work places on message boards and down the pub.....and how can ALL these ministers who have resigned over quite a period ALL gain ?
you want them all to agree no matter how strongly they might not agree....then you would be here saying no backbone with any of these tories….

credit where its due though at least you haven't got a clapometer or whatever it is.. :laughing5: :laughing5:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:23 pm

If he reacted that way because of the Sun, then that would be reason enough to show opposition to his appointment.

I rather suspect it’s because he’s a mad socialist nut with a booze problem. Now, wait a minute....

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:13 pm

rumpo kid wrote:I rather suspect it’s because he’s a mad socialist nut with a booze problem. Now, wait a minute....

i think you demonstrated the value of your insights when you spelt source SAUCE in your last post.
Last edited by Dave67 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 pm

And you yours Dave, it was my second last.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:43 pm

Dave67 wrote:

Gosh ! I haven't heard the one about being forcibly conscripted into the Nazi forces for many years !
Christian trade unionist was a pretty good template for recruitment by the national socialist movement back then, by the way.
This family's reputation has been known for years and my comments are certainly not based upon any article in the Sun.
Similarly, I wouldn't recommend anyone to accept the spin of the telegraph on the matter either.

To be blunt, I don't believe that version of events. Many thousands of men either left to join allied forces or fought with the resistance when their country was invaded. Those who joined the Nazis generally did claim to have been forcibly conscripted afterwards, which was all they could say. It wasn't an acceptable excuse at the time and, as far as I'm concerned, I'm afraid I still don't .