Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“. WALES OUT OF LUCK “ SAYS

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:28 pm

Gareth Bale: Wales out of luck against Denmark, says Real Madrid forward

BBC

Friday 16th November 2018

Gareth Bale says Wales were out of luck as Denmark denied them promotion to the Nations League's top tier.

Goals from Nicolai Jorgensen and Martin Braithwaite secured a win for the Danes, whose victory made them Group B4 winners.

Bale scored a late consolation but had earlier seen a free-kick brilliantly saved by Kasper Schmeichel.

"I don't know how he's got it to be honest," Bale said. "Those are the little bits of luck that you need."

He told Sky Sports: "To get a goal would put you right back in the mix. I thought we had good chances that we could have taken on another day.

"Maybe the scoreline would have been different with a bit of luck. We're disappointed."

Wales 1-2 Denmark

Braithwaite's volley two minutes from time sealed Denmark's win at Cardiff City Stadium, although Bale responded with a goal which had the visitors hanging on at the end.

"We had a lifeline at the end," Bale said.

"We tried to get it forward and I think maybe rushed it a bit too much in the last few minutes.

"When you're trying to scrape a goal that's what you kind of do."

Victory for Wales would have seen them win the group and guarantee Ryan Giggs' side a first-place finish in Group B4.

It would also have secured a Euro 2020 play-off game, should they not qualify automatically.

"We're disappointed not to win the group and at least get a draw to keep ourselves in with a chance of winning it," Bale added.

"They're a good team and obviously had a good World Cup, they're very highly ranked. We had a plan. Parts of it came off but obviously it's difficult after the game to see what went wrong."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “. WALES OUT OF LUCK “ SAYS

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:09 am

Fair play to Denmark-came to play and they did.

Re: “. WALES OUT OF LUCK “ SAYS

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:46 am

In all honesty we are in the right group,we all want to win,we all want to be in the next higher group but we are not quite there yet.
We got some great young players in the fold now and in a few years we really could be doing some damage.
Onwards and upwards and still learning.