Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Ashley Williams: “look at these mugs doing the ayatollah

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:13 am

Ashley Williams angers Cardiff City fans as 'mugs' joke caught on camera

Ashley Williams' comment was caught on film

November 2018

By Tom Coleman

Ashley Williams has found himself at the centre of controversy after seemingly sharing a joke at the expense of Cardiff City fans before the UEFA Nations League clash with Denmark on Friday night.

Wales went down 2-1 at the hands of the visitors to finish second in their group, keeping them in League B. You can read about the wider implications of that here.

But it's the comments made by the Stoke City centre-back during the pre-match build-up that have caused the biggest stir.

Williams, a former Swansea City captain, was filmed arriving at the home of the Swans' rivals Cardiff City ahead of kick-off, apparently sharing a joke with another former Jack, Joe Allen, about Bluebirds fans.

The full video, which was tweeted out from the official Nations League Twitter page, appears to show Williams jokingly saying: "Look at these mugs doing the Ayatollah". The tweet has since been removed.

One suggestion is Williams was passing a picture of Cardiff fans doing their trademark gesture while making the tongue-in-cheek comments, although the exact context is unclear. The joke is met with smiles and laughter in the background.

However, some fans, particularly those with an allegiance to Cardiff, didn't see the funny side to the joke, with many taking to social media to vent their annoyance. Others thought it was, at best, an ill-advised thing for the Wales captain to say.

One, Richard Bertin, said: "I never want to see Ashley Williams put on a Welsh shirt ever again."

Another added: "If you're representing your club, call me a mug all you want. Not when you're CAPTAIN of Wales, though."

Others have contacted the FAW on social media to complain. One, John Gibbon, wrote: "Is it really appropriate for Ashley
Williams to call Cardiff City supporters in a photo 'mugs'? Is his role as captain now to divide the fans? Has #TogetherStronger been completely scrapped now?"

In contrast, it's fair to say a few members of the Jack Army found the whole thing rather amusing.

Meanwhile, other fans thought it no more than a storm in a teacup.

The FAW are currently making no comment on the issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 am

:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Was Ashley Williams out of order? “

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:20 am

Sam ReaN wrote:yes, a former swansea player laughing at cardiff city doing the ayatollah is a huge deal because joe allen joined in with the smirking. It is a shame that ashley williams done this because the match is about our country not club. And obviously why is he giggling with Allen when they are playing championship football and Cardiff are Premier League.

We as a nation should be united as a country NOT a club. Terrible from Ashley and Joe Allen

wait, so your also upset with Joe Allen for smirking.....jesus, this is so pathetic. honestly, when did our fans become such delicate snowflakes....

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Gaffer wrote:
adamt958 wrote:
Gaffer wrote:No it’s a wales game the guys doing it are mugs, if it was the other way round say at the liberty and a Swansea fan did swim away to Ramsey what would we be saying?

There were no fans doing it, it was a photo on the side of the tunnel wall he was referring too.

My apologies didn’t realise that

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me, as I'm not a supporter of international football and expect 'tribal' rivalries to come to the fore; but if that (a picture on a wall at the CARDIFF CITY STADIUM) was the catalyst for his remarks, then surely the Wolverhampton-born captain of Wales needs to be spoken to by the Wales management team and/or FAW?

It's not the comment itself that is offensive (I defy any City supporter not to mock Swans or any other fans over one of their idiosyncrasies, such as singing rugby songs at a football match) but the fact that it was done, (a) to a wall mural, and (b) in a stadium he has attended on Wales duties on many occasions prior to now, is a bit worrying for Williams' state of mind!

Does the latter mean he has commented every time he has passed it; or is this the first time Williams has noticed it? Either way, it shows him up to be pretty naive as the temporary Wales captain! :oops:

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:49 pm

WALES FANS IN ALBANIA ARE DOING THE ASHLEY :lol:

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:21 pm

Absolute tw*t is Williams and always will be, the fact months ago 2 days before a big game he was plastered on st marys street 6am covorting with young fillies says it all, the guy is a cretin, couldn’t lead a horse to water, he’s a has been and I hope he gets his nose broken against Albania then we will see who the mug is

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Nothing against Allen for laughing as it would be funny to someone who ain’t Cardiff, the fault lies with that prick Williams disrespecting our club, wanker.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:02 pm

http://www.viewfromtheninian.com/2018/1 ... discussed/

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Funny how much the Ayotollah gets under the Jacks skins so much.All the more reason to keep it going at CCS.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:18 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:Nothing against Allen for laughing as it would be funny to someone who ain’t Cardiff, the fault lies with that prick Williams disrespecting our club, wanker.

not sure why Joe Allen has been dragged into this...smirk { maybe ,only maybe }.laugh { no ,he does not laugh }..

have to say , over the years what ive noticed is the Swansea players who actually come from Swansea or Wales are far less likely to behave like this than the brain washed imports..Williams, shelvey, mcburnie, tate, monk , trundle , prately all of whom wouldn't even know where Swansea is let alone visit the place unless paid to do so..

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Bromley Bluebird wrote:http://www.viewfromtheninian.com/2018/11/19/ashley-williams-tunnel-dig-discussed/

love the line from this Ben Issacs about how its no surprise they see Ashley Williams as one of their own because just like most of them he grew up supporting Liverpool and did not attend a Wales game until 2008..
:thumbup:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:50 pm

There's no comparison with 'The swim away', which is a celebration of hooliganism. The ayatollah is our tradition, however weird it may be to outsiders (that's why I love it).

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:38 pm

"Football is becoming a place awash with pearl clutching and faux outrage about the most minor things"

Does this Ben James think the reaction would be better taken 10 years ago? He's talking out of his arse.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Blueboys1927 wrote:He’s a tit.
Toghether Stronger is a joke
Jacks will have to look after their shoulders once again especially at away games thanks to him.
Cardiff fans will slaghter him at all wales games from now on :bluebird:

He's obviously thick as shit, that's his Welsh career over, he can expect to see plenty of ayatollahs in the Welsh crowd and boos whenever he touches the stupid idiot.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Confession tine: I’m the one who wrote the bit critical of Williams.

I’ve been getting dogs abuse on Twitter since Friday for making my feelings clear! I don’t know who’s been worse, the Swansea supporters or those ones who used to be diehard City fans but after the rebrand became diehard Wales fans (and now hate City).

I’ve been told that I (me!) have caused division among Wakes fans. I’m a nobody! Why would people care what I think but refuse to condemn Williams. If City fans wearing City colours or whatever at a Wales game is wrong then surely Williams has to be in the wrong too.

So I’m glad some of you liked what I wrote because some people are furious about it!

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:47 am

Once again the snowflakes are offended it seems to be a bit of friendly banter between the Cardiff physio and a couple of ex- Swansea players inside the dressing room area. Once again the easily offended have no sense of humour. Perhaps the Cardiff physio should apologise for trying wind up the players. I think not they are grown men having a bit of banter in private.

Are the offended the same fans who regularly booed Williams whenever he played for Wales?

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:55 am

A lot of snowflakes get offended by things CCFC fans say and do at Wales games…

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:12 am

Felixstowe_jack wrote:Once again the snowflakes are offended it seems to be a bit of friendly banter between the Cardiff physio and a couple of ex- Swansea players inside the dressing room area. Once again the easily offended have no sense of humour. Perhaps the Cardiff physio should apologise for trying wind up the players. I think not they are grown men having a bit of banter in private.

Are the offended the same fans who regularly booed Williams whenever he played for Wales?

there is a long list of Swansea players and ex players who have behaved like Williams..
mostly players who had little or nothing to do with your city or rivalry before you paid them..
how...?...the anti Cardiff everything takes up 95% of convo in jackland that how..and its top of the range snowflake stuff toboot
everything from the assembly to us actually being the capital to having an airport.
id have moved to felixstowe too.....

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Felixstowe_jack wrote:Once again the snowflakes are offended it seems to be a bit of friendly banter between the Cardiff physio and a couple of ex- Swansea players inside the dressing room area. Once again the easily offended have no sense of humour. Perhaps the Cardiff physio should apologise for trying wind up the players. I think not they are grown men having a bit of banter in private.

I think it's just an excuse, I couldn't see Connely in the clip, either way, he was taking the piss with his mate and got caught out !!!