Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

No Mention Of England

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:44 pm

on here after qualifying for the Nations League Semi Finals in what was deemed the hardest group of Pot A.

Considering most people on here thought they had a piss easy group and route to the semi finals of the World Cup, it is good to see them progress in this new format as well. Could the unthinkable and England actually win it?

As much as I would love it, I still think we are punching above our weight but you never know in football. :thumbup:

Re: No Mention Of England

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:13 pm

England, Switzerland, Portugal and Holland or France, if Holland beat Germany tonight and qualify you will never have a better chance.

If the French get through think they will be a step to far.

England are doing well and good luck to them but be fair mate, you did get lucky with the draw in the World Cup.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Dobbin wrote:on here after qualifying for the Nations League Semi Finals in what was deemed the hardest group of Pot A.

Considering most people on here thought they had a piss easy group and route to the semi finals of the World Cup, it is good to see them progress in this new format as well. Could the unthinkable and England actually win it?

As much as I would love it, I still think we are punching above our weight but you never know in football. :thumbup:

Now that brings up a matter which has frequently occurred to me. When England were progressing through the stages to eventually win the World Cup in 1966 there were people carrying " World Cup Willie" banners all over South Wales and everyone was supporting them. Similarly, at the final, you saw Union Flags everywhere rather than St Georges crosses and there was no doubt that the whole nation, ( by which I mean the British nation), cheered them on as one.
They might have been called England but we felt that they represented all of us.

In the mean time something very nasty and divisive has happened as politicians have deliberately implanted false divisions and meaningless identity politics to ruin our country. We can see in these threads people spitting bile at the English upon the basis of some general unjustified feeling of grievance which is not substantiated by any actual events or history. " Divide and Rule" I suppose, but I'm certainly not playing that game and I join you in congratulating the Engkand team and their supporters.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Fantastic results Dobbin and progressed massively under Gareth Southgate.

I flew over to Seville and watched them and the first half they were unbelievable, but nearly let Spain back in it the second-half.

I wore my Cardiff shirt and not one England fan was funny to me, quite the opposite :thumbright:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Fantastic results Dobbin and progressed massively under Gareth Southgate.

I flew over to Seville and watched them and the first half they were unbelievable, but nearly let Spain back in it the second-half.

I wore my Cardiff shirt and not one England fan was funny to me, quite the opposite :thumbright:

Well there you go. I keep trying to tell people here that Cardiff City are actually very popular with English people who aren't directly supporting particular opponents. When I speak about them , everyone thinks they've done fantastically well without big money and everyone is rooting for them to stay up and get better.
In a general conversation about the afternoons fixtures, Cardiff are usually the first team mentioned and everyone wants them to win against the big boys. Not the current home favourites I know, but Sean Morrison, Sol Bamba and Junior Hoilett are extremely popular figures with fans nationwide.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:35 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Fantastic results Dobbin and progressed massively under Gareth Southgate.

Well there you go. I keep trying to tell people here that Cardiff City are actually very popular with English people who aren't directly supporting particular opponents. When I speak about them , everyone thinks they've done fantastically well without big money and everyone is rooting for them to stay up and get better.
In a general conversation about the afternoons fixtures, Cardiff are usually the first team mentioned and everyone wants them to win against the big boys. Not the current home favourites I know, but Sean Morrison, Sol Bamba and Junior Hoilett are extremely popular figures with fans nationwide.

Exactly other than the banter we have on match days, Cardiff are well and truly respected in England :thumbright:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:56 pm

they probably have their best crop of players in 20 years at least. going back even 5 years they were a total embarrassment. players were actually scared to play for them. amazing how things have changed so quickly.

not really taking any notice of this mickey mouse league. internationals are about qualifying, then doing well in the tournament.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Agree with that.

Winds me up what our fans are like. When we got to the semis of the Euros all my English fan mates were well happy for us.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:47 pm

maccydee wrote:

Agree with that.

Winds me up what our fans are like. When we got to the semis of the Euros all my English fan mates were well happy for us.

Exactly Neil, Spot on :thumbright: :thumbright:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:45 pm

RV Casual wrote:England, Switzerland, Portugal and Holland or France, if Holland beat Germany tonight and qualify you will never have a better chance.

England are doing well and good luck to them but be fair mate, you did get lucky with the draw in the World Cup.

Holland progress instead of France after scoring two goals in the last five minutes to get a 2-2 draw at Germany.

England, Switzerland, Portugal and Holland at the finals then.

Agree with you - England fans must feel this is their best chance to win something. Good luck to them.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm

The Netherlands look as if they have a decent team now for the first time in a few years.

They won the group ahead of France and Germany which included coming from 2 down tonight to snatch a point.

They'll fancy their chances aswell.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:58 am

Dobbin wrote:on here after qualifying for the Nations League Semi Finals in what was deemed the hardest group of Pot A.

Why would we mention the Royal sycophants?? Nothing to do with us, Fek em. Bloody foreigners.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:14 am

Bananas wrote:

Why would we mention the Royal sycophants?? Nothing to do with us, Fek em. Bloody foreigners.

Royal Sycophants ?

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 am

RV Casual wrote:England, Switzerland, Portugal and Holland or France, if Holland beat Germany tonight and qualify you will never have a better chance.

Think we have more of a chance now France are out - I just hope we can build on the momentum of this league and takie it into the finals and the Euros. Cant do anyworse than 2016 !!

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:43 am

Yes massively.

Only ever had a couple of issues from the worzels in all my years of follwoing England home and away.

Yes outstanding first half poor second half, they just need to maintain that for 90 minutes. :thumbup:

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 am

maccydee wrote:

Agree with that.

Yes wanted them to do well - put England to shame in all aspects of the tournament. How we beat Wales I will never know we got lucky. We were shit :lol:

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:24 pm

I think people will think of winning this as winning the league cup, people only care if they win it. Its not a major tourenment and although better than friendlies but I'm personally not bothered who wins it or other results.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Dobbin wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree with that.

Yes wanted them to do well - put England to shame in all aspects of the tournament. How we beat Wales I will never know we got lucky. We were shit :lol:

England battered us

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Is football coming home again?