Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malcolm Alison & Palace

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Had a few winner takes all against Palace over the decades,one i remember at NP was a relegation match,loser goes down to Division 3.
But the one that sticks out when we filled a massive open end at Selhurst Park and Tony Evans (Walks on water)scored the winner i think.
Thousands of City were in unison signing "Alison,shut yer mouth,alison alison etc etc"
What year was that ?

Re: Malcolm Alison & Palace

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Ninianman wrote:Had a few winner takes all against Palace over the decades,one i remember at NP was a relegation match,loser goes down to Division 3.
But the one that sticks out when we filled a massive open end at Selhurst Park and Tony Evans (Walks on water)scored the winner i think.
Thousands of City were in unison signing "Alison,shut yer mouth,alison alison etc etc"
What year was that ?

I think it was Willie Anderson who scored the winner.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 pm

1 0 Tony villars to stay up 1974
We were relegated the following year
1 0 win at palace in 76 , Allison said that Cardiff would not beat Hereford the following Wednesday and we would not beat the palace crowd of 24000
We did both 2 0 win and a 36000 crowd at ninian park, for the life of me I don't know where they could have fitted another 20000 in ninian.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 pm

fred keenor wrote:1 0 Tony villars to stay up 1974
1 0 win at palace in 76 , Allison said that Cardiff would not beat Hereford the following Wednesday and we would not beat the palace crowd of 24000
We did both 2 0 win and a 36000 crowd at ninian park, for the life of me I don't know where they could have fitted another 20000 in ninian.

Those were the days of turnstile operators working on the basis of ‘one for you, one for me’. :notworthy:

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Alston is King At THE Palace was the Echo Pink placard.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Stewart Jump scored for palace Tony saved us.
30 April 1974

Cardiff City 1 (Villars) Crystal Palace 1 (Jump)

City Healey; Dwyer, Morgan, Phillips, Pethard; Villars, Vincent, Carlin (Showers) Charles; Anderson; Reece

Palace; Hammond; Mulligan, Barry, Blyth, Jump; Taylor, Jeffries, Johnson, Rogers; Possee, Whittle

HT 1-1

Att. 26,781

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:50 pm

the 36k was a joke, there were pple on the roof of the café and half way up the floodlights, it was rammed.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:08 am

I remember that night well. Ninian Stand was packed. Campbell and Livermore scored the two goals. Great night. :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:10 am

Too young to remember that, but the "Dougie Freedman, we're not f**king scared" game is one of my favourite memories at the CCS! (pretty sure that was palarse?) :lol: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 am

nubbsy wrote:Too young to remember that, but the "Dougie Freedman, we're not f**king scared" game is one of my favourite memories at the CCS! (pretty sure that was palarse?) :lol: :ayatollah:

yep it was Palace..
that and the other 2 Palace games mentioned would all be in my top 10 most memorable

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:29 am

Sit just behind Tim Villers and his lad in the Ninian Stand. He said Tony is in his 70s now. Tonys brother.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:34 am

Didn’t Allison bet a case of champagne on the size of crowd, long time go but I seem to remember him honouring the bet.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:33 am

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Sit just behind Tim Villers and his lad in the Ninian Stand. He said Tony is in his 70s now. Tonys brother.

Surely that's Tim Villars, brother of City stalwart Tony Villars? :?

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:46 pm

Jock wrote:

Didn’t Allison bet a case of champagne on the size of crowd, long time go but I seem to remember him honouring the bet.

yes he did, was lucky to still be in a job after back to back relegations though..

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:46 pm

dogfound wrote:
Jock wrote:

yes he did, was lucky to still be in a job after back to back relegations though..

He did hump Fiona Richmond though.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Ninianman wrote:Had a few winner takes all against Palace over the decades,one i remember at NP was a relegation match,loser goes down to Division 3.
What year was that ?

Adrian Alston scored the winner from a Phil Dwyer cross an absolutely brilliant day, except for Alison and Palarse ;)

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Jock wrote:

If I remember there was no bet on the crowd beforehand but Cardiff sent Allison - who was known for his liking of champagne and cigars- a case of the stuff as a thank you for helping to boost the crowd.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:12 pm

When I think of palace I always think of there horrible dirty dingy ground just dropped in the middle of a horrible area. I cant think of a ground I disliked more than Selhurst Park.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:50 pm

2blue2handle wrote:When I think of palace I always think of there horrible dirty dingy ground just dropped in the middle of a horrible area. I cant think of a ground I disliked more than Selhurst Park.

The Vetch?

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:When I think of palace I always think of there horrible dirty dingy ground just dropped in the middle of a horrible area. I cant think of a ground I disliked more than Selhurst Park.

The Vetch?

Only went to vetch once in the away end but not for a Cardiff game, was Swansea v Bristol Rovers but didn't stand out as the worst, I don't mind old shabby grounds. Loved Hereford away and they didn't have a toilet but something about Palace I really didn't like, felt dirty :lol:

Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:05 pm

People are confusing 2 games here. The one at Ninian was to stay up in the old 2nd Division and a Tony Villers equaliser saved us. The time that Adrian Alston scored was in the third Division and near the end of the season. We took thousands and beat them at their place. Allison claimed that in the up coming home game with Hereford (they were top) we wouldn't get over 25,000. The crowd was officially announced on the night as 35,000 I think but most people in the know believe it to be far higher than that but in those days we regularly understated crowds to avoid the tax (allegedly). A few weeks later we were promoted on a memorable night winning at Bury. Just as now the media were London Centric. There was a full fixture list that night and their headline was "And the big news tonight - Crystal Palace have note been promoted" It was the 75/76 season and the famous shirts with the yellow and white stripe

Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Bedwas Bluebird wrote:People are confusing 2 games here. The one at Ninian was to stay up in the old 2nd Division and a Tony Villers equaliser saved us. The time that Adrian Alston scored was in the third Division and near the end of the season. We took thousands and beat them at their place. Allison claimed that in the up coming home game with Hereford (they were top) we wouldn't get over 25,000. The crowd was officially announced on the night as 35,000 I think but most people in the know believe it to be far higher than that but in those days we regularly understated crowds to avoid the tax (allegedly). A few weeks later we were promoted on a memorable night winning at Bury. Just as now the media were London Centric. There was a full fixture list that night and their headline was "And the big news tonight - Crystal Palace have note been promoted" It was the 75/76 season and the famous shirts with the yellow and white stripe

don't see anyone mixing up the 2 games..

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:05 pm

its the away ground I have been to the most...lol
they seem to have been in our division a lot.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:25 pm

dogfound wrote:

I think I've been 2 or 3 times and every time I say never again :lol:

Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I think I've been 2 or 3 times and every time I say never again :lol:

well im not going this season......but I do actually like going there..

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Bedwas Bluebird wrote:People are confusing 2 games here. The one at Ninian was to stay up in the old 2nd Division and a Tony Villers equaliser saved us. The time that Adrian Alston scored was in the third Division and near the end of the season. We took thousands and beat them at their place. Allison claimed that in the up coming home game with Hereford (they were top) we wouldn't get over 25,000. The crowd was officially announced on the night as 35,000 I think but most people in the know believe it to be far higher than that but in those days we regularly understated crowds to avoid the tax (allegedly). A few weeks later we were promoted on a memorable night winning at Bury. Just as now the media were London Centric. There was a full fixture list that night and their headline was "And the big news tonight - Crystal Palace have note been promoted" It was the 75/76 season and the famous shirts with the yellow and white stripe

Remember that game at Bury also, was still in school, went up there in a mini bus we won 1 or 2 nil I think. Remember 1000s of Liverpool fans in the services, think they were playing at Wolves for the title, also think their fans broke the cross bar celebrating winning the title!

Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Always liked going to palace, one of my favourite London pubs is not far from the ground, The Prince George in Thornton Heath.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:33 pm

The Cobra wrote:

Remember that game at Bury also, was still in school, went up there in a mini bus we won 1 or 2 nil I think. Remember 1000s of Liverpool fans in the services, think they were playing at Wolves for the title, also think their fans broke the cross bar celebrating winning the title!

had we lost Palace could have caught us with a win and a 3 goal swing as it turned out they lost to Chester.

we won 1 nil

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:09 am

Eat ya hat Malcolm Allison..

Was up by Edgar Street the other day - looked great, Wrexham also. Something about floodlights I think. Theres a guy climbs up with a candle at Edgar Street.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/ ... 8c283c.jpg