Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL WARNOCK: " REVEALS HIS TARGETS / FUNDS PLUS " "

Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:39 am

The new position Cardiff City will target in January after Neil Warnock reveals how he spent international break
By Dominic Booth

Neil Warnock has revealed Cardiff City will target a defensive midfielder in the upcoming transfer window - as well as a striker and a full back.

Thursday 22nd November 2018

He also talked about his trip to New York, talks with Vincent Tan and gave an injury update

The Bluebirds boss has been in discussions with Vincent Tan about the club's January transfer policy, which will primarily concentrate on loan deals.

Warnock reconvened with his players in training this week week, with the likes of Bruno Manga, Callum Paterson and Aron Gunnarsson returning late after international duty.

And now, as well as seeing his squad through intense period of fixtures (Cardiff play eight games in five weeks before New Year's Eve) Warnock has one eye on the transfer window.

“I think the main priorities are a full-back, central midfielder and a striker," he said on the transfer search, with the Bluebirds already linked with a loan swoop for Liverpool's Nathaniel Clyne.

“Definitely we are looking. We’re only allowed one other loan from the Premier League because we’ve got Harry [Arter] until the end of the season.

“We have to prioritise which players we can get on loan and then we’ve got to look abroad to bring the other two or three in, which we are doing at the moment.

“I would think it makes sense if we can get players on loan, rather than spending massive money, until you know if you’re in the Premier League or not."

Warnock revealed midfield general Gunnarsson was still only training two days per week, so has made finding a back-up in that position another January priority.

"We haven’t got another defensive midfield player at the club, we’ve tried other people but that’s one position we have to be looking at in January," he said.

On the funds he will have available, Warnock confirmed he was talking to Tan.

“I’m sure if the right striker came about and we’ve got the realistic money, I think Vincent would listen to us," he said.

“It’s not a matter of saying I want this money and I want that, it’s about being sensible and talking about the names we’re putting forward and seeing who we can get.

“We need to try and get a move on so we’ve got one or two in straight away in January, rather than the last minute again.”

With current striker Kenneth Zohore still struggling with a calf injury, Warnock revealed the other injury news ahead of the trip to Everton.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing made a comeback on Monday night, scoring for Cardiff Under-23s, but Warnock ruled the winger - as well as Zohore - out of this week's Goodison Park encoutner.

"Ken Zohore has not responded really, we’re disappointed with that," he said. "It seems to be taking an eternity to get right.

"Jazz Richards has had a good week, I asked him to have an intense week and he’s had that and come back alright. He needed a full week’s training.

"We’ve got to be a bit careful with (Mendez-Laing) at the minute especially with this busy period of fixtures."

Warnock also revealed how he had spent the international break - in New York with his family.

"I'd planned months ago to go away for a few days actually," he said.

"I flew out at 8 o'clock on Saturday night after the game for a few days, so I was glad it was an early kick off and even better that we scored a late goal.

"I went to New York with Sharon. I like New York, it's a super place but four days is enough. I like jazz and New York seems to be the place for jazz. I saw Frankie Valley’s show.

"We do play intense, we have to be. So the rest is as important as the training. You need that rest because it's far more physical and mental really (in the Premier League)."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK: " REVEALS HIS TARGETS / FUNDS PLUS " "

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Connor Roberts RB
Danny Drinkwarer M
Jermaine Defoe S :bluescarf:

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:38 pm

I hope Sir Neil is misdirecting again here.
We do need to spend some money at this point and we can't expect to stay in the Premiership with loan players only.
If we're really going to rely on a couple of foreign loan players we don't really know enough about, we could be in trouble .
Still, it might well be that he's saying that to keep his powder dry and intends to do something different altogether - he does that quite a lot

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Same positions that everyone knew that was required as a priority over the summer :banghead:

I get the logic of not spending to much if we don't start picking up more points. All depends on how we do over the summer. ill be honest and ill be surprised if we bring in anyone that we would call a guaranteed starter.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:Connor Roberts RB
Danny Drinkwarer M

We'd have to buy one of Defoe or Drinkwater... couldn't afford either imo.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Neil stated there is no point in spending big money on signings if we can get loans until we know we are in the premier, well we are in the prem and we got promoted last season so we new we where in the prem this season so why did' nt we spend on a striker then, it almost seems like an excuse for not signing in the off season and it seems as if we are at it again loans only, i just hope not, but nice to see we are finally looking abroad to find players.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:30 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Danny Drinkwarer M

Warnock spells it out..loans, 1 from prem and others from abroad..
Drinkwarer btw is on 100k a wk at Chelsea...ouch

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:35 pm

dogfound wrote:
Danny Drinkwarer M

I hope the Clyne rumour is true mate :thumbright:

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:42 pm

dogfound wrote:
Danny Drinkwarer M

I hope the Clyne rumour is true mate :thumbright:

yes it sounds reasonable...and a decent player

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:46 pm

I don't think it has ever been in doubt that there was going to be a very small budget made available to Warnock last Summer, and that nothing will change when the January window opens. There will still be very little money, if any, for the purchase of players. We will be reliant on loans and making do with what we already have. The existing debts are no big secret, and Tan has made it clear that his priority is to reduce these debts with an aim to making the club self sufficient. Anyone expecting big money to be spent on a big name is going to be disappointed. Even if money was available, persuading an established PL player to move to a relegation threatened club would be quite a task.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Neil Warnock admits Cardiff will look to strengthen in the January transfer window

Daily Mail

Thursday 22nd November 2018

NEIL WARNOCK:

'Definitely we are looking,' Warnock said ahead of Saturday's Premier League trip to Everton.

'We're only allowed one other loan from the Premier League because we've got Harry (Arter) until the end of the season.

'We have to prioritise which players we can get on loan and then we've got to look abroad to bring the other two or three in, which we are doing at the moment.

'I would think it makes sense if we can get players on loan, rather than spending massive money, until you know if you're in the Premier League or not.

'But I'm sure if the right striker came about and we've got the realistic money, I think Vincent (Tan, Cardiff's owner) would listen to us.

'We need to try and get a move on so we've got one or two in straight away in January, rather than the last minute again.'

Cardiff remain in the relegation zone after beating Brighton 2-1 at home before the international break.

But Cardiff have won two of their last four games and Warnock believes his side, written off by many at the start of the season, are becoming more competitive with each passing week.

'I think we can do better than what we have done,' Warnock said. 'We've got to eliminate those mistakes and continue to put teams under pressure.

'We've got a run now where we're playing teams who are not in the top six, not beyond us.'

Having given his squad a few days off during the international break, Warnock himself is refreshed for the coming weeks after a four-day trip to New York with his wife Sharon.

'When you get to my age (Warnock turns 70 on December 1) and you look at the news and the newspapers, everyone you know is passing away and there's all sorts of things going on in the world,' he said.

'So you have got to grasp everything while you can, hence it was probably the best four days of my life in New York with my wife.

'We had an absolutely amazing time. On the last day, we booked lunch at a place in the middle of Central Park called the Boat House.

'We got a horse and carriage from the hotel and, as we're driving through 'clippety-clop', the first snowflakes came down.

'So I turned to her and said "See darling, I've organised everything, even a few snowflakes for you."

'So for me, that is life. I just love moments like that, and that's why I love my lads.

'Whatever happens with us, I know my team will give me everything."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Reading between the lines I'd say NW has list patience with big Ken and think he will loan him or drop him from the 25

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Reading between the lines I'd say NW has list patience with big Ken and think he will loan him or drop him from the 25

Really, when he has been fit he has played or been on the bench. Medine is the one who seems to drop out.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Reading between the lines I'd say NW has list patience with big Ken and think he will loan him or drop him from the 25

ive thought this about a couple of players after a Warnock remark only for them to start the very next game.

he is a terror for saying things he doesn't really mean...

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Should have been doing this pre season not half way through the season.

But he didn't so let's hope he will get the right players for the job and is backed by the club financially.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:08 pm

And two centre halves but with Premiership experience.
We do need to score but every week we’re concedi soft goals mostly through a lack of concentration or we’re not quick enough to deal with Premiership movement.
They over performed in the Championship; it’s beem asking too much of them to get up to Premiership speed too.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:38 pm

londonlegal wrote:And two centre halves but with Premiership experience.
We do need to score but every week we’re concedi soft goals mostly through a lack of concentration or we’re not quick enough to deal with Premiership movement.
They over performed in the Championship; it’s beem asking too much of them to get up to Premiership speed too.

Playing Manga at CB might improve the central defence. We all love Bamba and Morrison but they are just not good enough at this level.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:44 pm

PLAYERS CARDIFF COULD BUY:

Name: AVIER HERNÁNDEZ
Club: WEST HAM UNITED
Position: STRIKER
Cost To Buy: £10-20 MILLION

Name: ETIENNE CAPOUE
Club: WATFORD
Position: MIDFIELDER
Cost To Buy: £8-18 MILLION

Name: MONTOYA
Club: BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION
Position: RIGHT BACK
Cost To Buy: £6-15 MILLION

PLAYERS CARDIFF COULD GET VIA A LOAN DEAL:

Name: AARON RAMSEY
Club: ARSENAL
Cost To Loan: ?

Name: PETER CROUCH
Club: STOKE CITY
Cost To Loan: 15k

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Would the DM be cover? Cause I'm more than happy playing Gunnar there.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:PLAYERS CARDIFF COULD BUY:

We couldn't afford Hernandez fella. I'm assuming we've got £10-20mil to spend plus what's he on a week?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:

We couldn't afford Hernandez fella. I'm assuming we've got £10-20mil to spend plus what's he on a week?

Probably 100k

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:37 pm

montoya has just joined brighton in summer from valencia and 6mill not a chance . capoue turned us down last time we were in prem went to spurs and for that money no chance and hernandez hes easily on 100k a week and for that money not a chance . them 3 players at your lowest estimate is nearly what we spent in summer id b gobsmacked if we spent 10mil in jan tbh

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:

Probably 100k

Right so that's him crossed off the list. Capoue? Probably not far off the same plus of that is the right price tag then that's gotta be most our budget gone.

Personally I'd look at Spain. Said it before and I'll say it again there is so much cheap talent in that country it's unreal.