The First League club to install standing area

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Wycombe Wanderers have become the first English club to install '2,020' seats.
The theatre-style seating design allows fans the choice to stand or sit without blocking the view of others.
Attachments
46508706_739256336438572_3935049960013168640_n.jpg
46508706_739256336438572_3935049960013168640_n.jpg (61.32 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The First League club to install standing area 2,020

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Safe-standing: Wycombe Wanderers first English club to install 2020 seats

BBC

Thursday 22nd November 2018

New 2020 seats installed at Wycombe's Adams Park

The 2020 seats allow supporters the choice to either sit or stand without blocking the views of others

Wycombe have become the first English club to install seating which allows fans the choice to stand or sit without blocking the view of others.

Sixty-eight '2020 seats' have been fitted in the Family Stand at Adams Park by the League One club.

The theatre-style design ensures all supporters' eye levels are the same whether they sit or stand.

"We're pleased to be the first club to have this installed," said Wycombe chairman Trevor Stroud.

Wycombe do not yet have permission to use the seats during a game, so that section will be cordoned off for their home match against Shrewsbury Town on Saturday.

The 2020 seats meet revised guidelines produced by the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA).

Their design also complies with the current government all-seater stadium policy and could lead to more clubs introducing similar safe-standing initiatives.

Shrewsbury installed a different scheme at the start of this season with more than 500 rail seats introduced at the Montgomery Waters Meadow stadium.

Shrewsbury Town safe-standing rail seating section

Shrewsbury Town converted more than 500 seats to allow for safe-standing at the start of this season

And Scottish champions Celtic have also introduced a similar concept at Celtic Park.
Attachments
_104443501_shrewsbury_safe_standing_rex-2.jpg
_104443501_shrewsbury_safe_standing_rex-2.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Re: The First League club to install standing area

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:18 pm

is it just me that sees no point in this.
I get it at somewhere like Celtic Park where UEFA competitions demand seating.....but Wycombe.?..once you have a section standing the seat bit which has to be unlocked will never be used..
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:46 pm

dogfound wrote:is it just me that sees no point in this.
I get it at somewhere like Celtic Park where UEFA competitions demand seating.....but Wycombe.?..once you have a section standing the seat bit which has to be unlocked will never be used..

I certainly agree that it's a pointless load of nonsense , but I suppose it would be hard to legislate if you tried to make distinctions between clubs based on likely crowds etc. If they drew one of the big clubs like Manchester City or Cardiff in the cup they'd get a big crowd
SirJimmySchoular

Postby nubbsy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Many stadiums are used for boxing and concerts etc So the seats could well be used. But it's a step in the right direction ad far as football is concerned so I don't see how we can complain too much. It's great news!
nubbsy

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:07 pm

nubbsy wrote:

Many stadiums are used for boxing and concerts etc So the seats could well be used. But it's a step in the right direction ad far as football is concerned so I don't see how we can complain too much. It's great news!

not complaining...just dont see what a locked seat has to do with safe standing...its a fair point about concerts and boxing from a usage point of view..but to me purely regarding football its a bit of a charade having a seat there just to get it passed.
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:12 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

I certainly agree that it's a pointless load of nonsense , but I suppose it would be hard to legislate if you tried to make distinctions between clubs based on likely crowds etc. If they drew one of the big clubs like Manchester City or Cardiff in the cup they'd get a big crowd

don't think its about size of crowd..
never really agreed with all seater stadiums ..
dogfound

Postby montyblue » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:20 pm

Thought shrewsbury had this a while?
montyblue

Postby worcester_ccfc » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:40 pm

montyblue wrote:Thought shrewsbury had this a while?

I think Shrewsbury’s is slightly different to this.

Ironic thing is that if either club ever make it to the Championship, they’ll have to change back to normal seating unless the law is changed.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby dogfound » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:19 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
montyblue wrote:Thought shrewsbury had this a while?

I think Shrewsbury’s is slightly different to this.

Ironic thing is that if either club ever make it to the Championship, they’ll have to change back to normal seating unless the law is changed.

Wycombe have only installed 68 seats and don't yet have permission to use them.. :lol:
dogfound

Postby northernbluebird » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:44 pm

why is it even a debate whether to allow safe standing? like we have in the canton stand, people will stand anyway - surely it's more dangerous to have people standing without a barrier in front? hillsborough was 30 years ago now - modern stadia bear no resemblance to the dangerous hellholes of the 80s.
northernbluebird

Return to General Chat