Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OPINION: THREE PLAYERS CITY SHOULD OFFLOAD THIS JANUARY

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Three players Cardiff City must offload in January
By Mathaeus Abuwa

As we speak, Cardiff City sits 18th in the Premier League with only eight points to their name.

In 12 games, the Bluebirds have won only two games this season and a boast an awful goal difference of -14. They own the second worst defence in the entire league and if things aren’t addressed in January, they’ll be going straight back down to the Championship.

Although owned by Vincent Tan a wealthy businessman, the 66-year-old is shrewd in his dealings and would prefer the club to sell first before investing more funds into the squad. This means for Cardiff City to go forward and strengthen they must make some tough decisions in relation to personnel…

Here are three players Cardiff City must offload in January...

Kenneth Zohore

The Danish striker just hasn’t hit the heights people thought he would at Cardiff. Injuries have plagued him but his progress when on the pitch hasn’t been anything of note this season. In the Championship, the 24-year-old showed much promise as he scored nine goals and provided five assists in 36 appearances.

His movement was electric, and his finishing was lethal however Zohore hasn’t been able to make that giant leap to the Premier League. Instead, he’s looked out of his depth, failing to contribute a goal in 260 minutes of league football. He may have shown promise last season but if Cardiff is to have any chance of surviving relegation this season, they need an upgrade on Kenneth Zohore, quickly.

Lee Peltier

Unfortunately for the 31-year-old, life in England’s top division hasn’t been smooth sailing. He was a mainstay in Cardiff’s starting XI last season, however, this year his performances have been inept and not up to par. He made 30 appearances last year, this season, he’s made just four and never looked like breaking into the starting XI.

We’re in a cutthroat business and there’s no space or time to have unneeded players on the wage bill. At 31 years of age, Peltier is nearing the end of his career and January would be the best time for him to return to a more appropriate playing level. Cardiff City is in a dire state and there’s no room for deadwood at the club.

Junior Hoilett

On paper, Junior Hoilett is the most high-profile player at Cardiff City. The Canadian has had quite a career in England, playing for teams like Blackburn Rovers, Queens Park Rangers and now Cardiff City. At 28 years of age, Hoilett has made over 281 appearances in English football, meaning he has all the experience needed to be the Bluebirds’ talisman. However, that experience hasn’t translated into performances on the pitch.

So far this season, the 28-year-old has made ten appearances and not contributed a single goal or assist. Cardiff City is one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, and Hoilett’s inefficiency is dragging them down. Perhaps the pressure hasn’t gotten too much for him, but Cardiff would be better off unloading a player probably on the largest wage packet in the club.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: OPINION: THREE PLAYERS CITY SHOULD OFFLOAD THIS JANUARY

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:26 pm

On first view, I thought this to be a little harsh on Peltier and Hoilett but after reading again, it makes some sense given the contribution (to date) of the three and the club's seemingly inability to go hard into the transfer market this January

Letting two good City servants and (latterly) a let down go in January could well be justified, if we can get the right replacements

Survival in the Premier League is a battle that can be won...if there is the courage and heart for it! :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm inclined to agree. Peltier is a good Championship defender who struggles in the Premier league. Zohore comes after Madine though in terms of strikers to go and Connolly is another I'd offload.
Hoilett has totally failed to convince at this level. Like Ken, he's been a major disappointment.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Strange how no one has mentioned Connolly! Of course I appreciate his huge contribution this season, but surely he has offered less than any other player so far and let’s be honest is a waste of a squad space.

Peltier offers more than Connolly but it’s about opinions I guess

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:56 pm

I would keep all 3.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Literally how do people choose Zohore over Madine?

Don't get me wrong he hasn't performed as well as he can do but it's tough in this league and he hasn't been terrible, he comes in deeper to receive the ball and has held up well and kept the ball for us well in the games he played.

I feel like Hoilett will come good for us and Peltier is just solid performer, never does too much wrong for us.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm

260 minutes...is that all he has played..?

I think all 3 have signed contracts quite recently and along with a few others they will be difficult to move on..

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:18 pm

If we want to sign 3/4 players in January 3/4 from our squad of 25 have to go as well as Tomlin and Pilks but getting rid of any of these players is going to be difficult perhaps player exchange is the best way to go? My 3/4 would be Connelly,Peltier,Maxine and No 4 Damour or Zohore. None of these players have contributed much this season and so have to in order to get better replacements?

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Sven wrote:On first view, I thought this to be a little harsh on Peltier and Hoilett but after reading again, it makes some sense given the contribution (to date) of the three and the club's seemingly inability to go hard into the transfer market this January

Letting two good City servants and (latterly) a let down go in January could well be justified, if we can get the right replacements

Survival in the Premier League is a battle that can be won...if there is the courage and heart for it! :ayatollah:

Not sure about Hoilett, Chris.
Not being negative but he was excellent in the championship if that’s where we end up next year. In saying that though, if it means getting rid and as a result we have a better replacement then who am I to argue.
I agree with the other two though

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 am

Peltier, Connolly & Madine
Obviously
I can’t believe anyone can suggest Hoilett, and Everyone’s trend to hate on Zohore is unwarranted too. He’s 24 and has always been off and on. He actually played okay start of the season just like Warnock said but our terrible defence at the start of the season made it difficult for our attack (including Zohore) to do anything about the games when we’re chasing the game after the first 15 minutes all the time. The only reason we are scoring a little more now is because we as a group are more solid. If Zohore was to play now that our defence has sorted most of its problems out he will definetely make good. But to suggest we should sell Zohore before Connolly and Madine is a joke.

Heads on people.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:42 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Sven wrote:On first view, I thought this to be a little harsh on Peltier and Hoilett but after reading again, it makes some sense given the contribution (to date) of the three and the club's seemingly inability to go hard into the transfer market this January

Not being negative but he was excellent in the championship if that’s where we end up next year. In saying that though, if it means getting rid and as a result we have a better replacement then who am I to argue.

Andrew, I hope you are good? :thumbright:

I see your point but I think one of the biggest issues we (supporters) have this season is a fixation on 'looking to the Championship season next year'

Why can't we concentrate on this season with a view to securing our Premier League place for next season?

Of course Junior Hoilett (I'm a fan) was a class act in the Championship but (along with others) he hasn't 'cut it' to date in the League we are currently in and that is surely where we need to be focussing?

We need to create a squad that will survive this season before we worry about next; that (sadly, if the case) could be done in the summer

I believe Neil Warnock will make the decision he feels necessary to help us survive and it can be done :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 am

Savigma wrote:Peltier, Connolly & Madine
Obviously
I can’t believe anyone can suggest Hoilett, and Everyone’s trend to hate on Zohore is unwarranted too. He’s 24 and has always been off and on. He actually played okay start of the season just like Warnock said but our terrible defence at the start of the season made it difficult for our attack (including Zohore) to do anything about the games when we’re chasing the game after the first 15 minutes all the time. The only reason we are scoring a little more now is because we as a group are more solid. If Zohore was to play now that our defence has sorted most of its problems out he will definetely make good. But to suggest we should sell Zohore before Connolly and Madine is a joke.

Heads on people.

Totally agree on Zohore

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:26 am

Connelly, Madine damour

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:36 am

If we can get three better players in yes, if not no!!!

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:40 am

Anyone playing lone striker for us will not look good as,paticularly away from home they will hardly see the ball at all. When Zohore came on against Liverpool he did not touch the ball once in eleven minutes. My suggestion was Tammy Abraham who scored four for Villa last night.

Why is "he is 24" an excuse. What age must he be before he can be expected to perform consistently?

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:45 am

Bluebina wrote:If we can get three better players in yes, if not no!!!

Saying that I'd be very surprised if Zohore left in the next few years, new Striker or not.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:21 pm

The pre season delight when Hoilett signed was not evident in my household.

Peltier is not good enough at Championship level let alone PL.

Zahore. I just can't make him out. Jury is out for me.

Connelly and Damour also should go.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:31 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I would keep all 3.

I would happily get rid of all 3 :D

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

:lol:

I think you can make a for and against for all 3 but for me we have weaker players.

Id look to lose Richards and Connlly before considering Peltier (and im no Peltier fan either)

Hoilett is struggling a little at the moment but Harris and NML are always likely to pick up an injury and I think an ideal squad player.

Zohore splits opinion but for me still the best striker we have when fit and for me he starts ahead of Ward, Reid and Medine upfront.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:14 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

:lol:

I think you can make a for and against for all 3 but for me we have weaker players.

Id look to lose Richards and Connlly before considering Peltier (and im no Peltier fan either)

Hoilett is struggling a little at the moment but Harris and NML are always likely to pick up an injury and I think an ideal squad player.

Zohore splits opinion but for me still the best striker we have when fit and for me he starts ahead of Ward, Reid and Medine upfront.

I agree...Connolly for whatever reason doesnt play, Damour likewise and Jazz is forever injured ?....

then we have 2 players not even in the 25 and Madine who is not premier league..so lets get rid of 3 that actually contribute.....great idea

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:03 pm

Sven wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I see your point but I think one of the biggest issues we (supporters) have this season is a fixation on 'looking to the Championship season next year'

Why can't we concentrate on this season with a view to securing our Premier League place for next season?

Of course Junior Hoilett (I'm a fan) was a class act in the Championship but (along with others) he hasn't 'cut it' to date in the League we are currently in and that is surely where we need to be focussing?

We need to create a squad that will survive this season before we worry about next; that (sadly, if the case) could be done in the summer

I believe Neil Warnock will make the decision he feels necessary to help us survive and it can be done :ayatollah:

I’m good thanks mate and hope all is good with you too.
I see your points. I guess it’s just me being a bit over cautious thinking of the last time we came back down with OGS and had a squad that waere vastly overpaid and not prepared for the fight in the Championship.

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:30 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Sven wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I’m good thanks mate and hope all is good with you too.
I see your points. I guess it’s just me being a bit over cautious thinking of the last time we came back down with OGS and had a squad that waere vastly overpaid and not prepared for the fight in the Championship.

Good to hear all good, mate and I guess it's a matter off perspective. Going down we would need this the of player and it's a bit of a dilemma but my thinking is we should do what we can to stay now rather than subconsciously accepting relegation and planning ahead for the Championship this early into the season

We had a bit of luck getting here and hopefully we'll get a little more luck and stay here! :ayatollah: