Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

'They’ve got different ambitions to us' Neil Warnock's view

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:19 am

'They’ve got different ambitions to us' Neil Warnock's view on Wolves, Nuno Espirito Santo and Fosun -

Birmingham Live

Thursday 29th November 2018

Neil Warnock says his feud with Wolverhampton Wanderers head coach Nuno Espirito Santo was settled with a 'squeeze' - and claims he's 'always liked Wolves'.

Warnock’s Cardiff City will meet Wolves on Friday night for the first time since that epic Championship clash in April.

After late penalty drama Nuno and his coaching staff stormed the Cardiff City Stadium pitch to celebrate joyously with the Wolves heroes.

That angered Warnock and when Nuno tried to shake his hand later on he repeatedly told the Portuguese to ‘F*** off’.

But they’re the best of friends now, according to Warnock.

"We met up at the LMA (League Managers' Association)," Warnock said. "He’s a big bloke and he gave me a squeeze. I think it was a nice one!

"I’ve already shaken hands with him. I spoke to him last year. It’s not all about money and he did a good job last year. I’ve always liked Wolves.”

Warnock labelled Nuno - whose Wolves team eventually romped to the Championship title - a ‘disgrace’ after the game in April, insisting he should have shaken hands before celebrating.

Asked whether he thinks Nuno has learnt his lesson, Warnock responded: "I haven’t a clue, I have enough things to worry about!

"It’s always easier to tell people where they’re going wrong, than doing things on the touchline.

"It’s a ruthless industry but we’re lucky to be in it."

Warnock has spent money at Cardiff in a bid to keep them in the Premier League. Gary Madine arrived for £6million in January and he splashed out a further £15million on Greg Cunningham and Josh Murphy in the summer.

He’s adamant the Bluebirds can’t compete financially with the might of Wolves owners Fosun, though.

"It’s a different type of pressure," Warnock said. "When you spend £100m, you have pressure. But you also have top players. I wouldn’t mind a bit of that pressure.

"But there’s only 20 teams so everyone’s under pressure. We’re a little bit different in that we’re always on the catch up, trying to improve it every six months.

"They’ve got different ambitions to us. They know how tough it will be."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.