Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WOLVES/FULHAM AND EXPECTATIONS

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:45 am

Both teams went into the season on an impressive run of results but what amazes me is how such teams struggle to get back to winning ways once they lose a game.

OK so yes their run was in a lower division but lets be honest here they where 2 teams ready for the Premier. Wolves won the Championship in comfort while Fulham went on a fantastic run where last season after a dreadful start it is felt a surprise last game defeat at Birmingham is the reason it is us and not them playing in the Premier.

So 2 teams ready to take the Premier by storm, both have spent a bit of money, are now wondering if its a false dream. Fulham find themselves at the bottom while Wolves have not won in 5. Adding to that both have lost against us where last time they came they both won. Wolves game they where lucky but Fulham played us off the park. Fulham have just ended their miserable streak with a win against Southampton and a drew against Man U. Both home games against weak opposiion. Man U weak oppostion in the same sentence doesn't seem right but how ,many of us feel we can take a point of them with the upcoming game?

Anyway back on track and for me a successful team is one that can bounce back. Bouncebackability remember when that was the in word? This is the test for the Wolves manager Nuno. Will he survive unlike the Fulham guy? The new Fulman boss is going through the new boss syndrome but will it last? Look what happened to the Jacks last season. Personally I think Wolves should stick with their man but if that turns out to be a bad move where they end up with a new boss then it makes you wonder if Wolves will find themselves in a relegation battle. That must be on the back of all Wolves fans.

What a turn around this could be. The 2 fancy teams coming up going straight back down and the write off surviving.

Re: Wolves/Fulham

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 am

Great post and a lot of good points :thumbup:

For me, I think the weight of expectation was certainly on those two clubs to 'succeed' in the Premier League, whilst little old Cardiff were pretty much doomed from the start by many, if not all, pundits

The reality, for me at least, is that City were always going to have a fight on our hands but that (with some additions) we knew we would put up a fight and battle with those who would be around us in the table. That is how it has proved and we appear to be learning quickly as ever game passes

We are somewhat fortunate in comparison to the other two, as we already know that 17th place would be a major achievement and anything above that a bonus beyond reasonable expectations

Wolves, for me, are the better equipped of the three to climb the table over a few games at any point. They have a decent manager in Nuno Espirito Santo and I believe they will turn things around but maybe not to the extent that their supporters thought (indeed boasted) that they would before the season started

Fulham are a different case completely, as despite their 100m+ spend they did not really 'improve' their team/squad as much as we might have thought for the outlay. Their whole promotion season revolved around two players (Mitrovic and Sessegnon) and there was always a danger that in the Premier League both teams would be able to cope with them, so long as they keep one or both of those quiet and so it has proved. Their reliance on Mitrovic in particular has caught up with them (to date) and cost their limited but lucky last season manager (Jokanovic) his job

Still early days and nothing is decided yet with another transfer window looming but being honest, we are doing as well as could have been reasonable hoped and it is the other two promoted teams that have the real pressure on them to live up to expectations

Cardiff City and Neil Warnock have a history of being up for a fight and so it goes on... :clap: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Re: WOLVES/FULHAM AND EXPECTATIONS

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:07 am

i have lost the plot when did fulham draw with man u ?

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:24 am

67 blue wrote:i have lost the plot when did fulham draw with man u ?

Just a guess but I think BA meant Fulham beat Southampton who then got a draw with Man United in the next game. I suppose it is to emphasise that Fulham beating Southampton was a decent result?

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:27 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Both teams went into the season on an impressive run of results but what amazes me is how such teams struggle to get back to winning ways once they lose a game.

OK so yes their run was in a lower division but lets be honest here they where 2 teams ready for the Premier. Wolves won the Championship in comfort while Fulham went on a fantastic run where last season after a dreadful start it is felt a surprise last game defeat at Birmingham is the reason it is us and not them playing in the Premier.

So 2 teams ready to take the Premier by storm, both have spent a bit of money, are now wondering if its a false dream. Fulham find themselves at the bottom while Wolves have not won in 5. Adding to that both have lost against us where last time they came they both won. Wolves game they where lucky but Fulham played us off the park. Fulham have just ended their miserable streak with a win against Southampton and a drew against Man U. Both home games against weak opposiion. Man U weak oppostion in the same sentence doesn't seem right but how ,many of us feel we can take a point of them with the upcoming game?

Anyway back on track and for me a successful team is one that can bounce back. Bouncebackability remember when that was the in word? This is the test for the Wolves manager Nuno. Will he survive unlike the Fulham guy? The new Fulman boss is going through the new boss syndrome but will it last? Look what happened to the Jacks last season. Personally I think Wolves should stick with their man but if that turns out to be a bad move where they end up with a new boss then it makes you wonder if Wolves will find themselves in a relegation battle. That must be on the back of all Wolves fans.

What a turn around this could be. The 2 fancy teams coming up going straight back down and the write off surviving.

It would be ironic if we stayed up and those 2 went down :thumbup: and also NW survived whilst Slavisa Jokanovic and Nuno EspĂ­rito Santo pick up their P45's. There is a long way to go in the season yet and things can change but I am confident we will get a least 17th position. :occasion5:

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:35 am

oh bugger.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:37 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Just a guess but I think BA meant Fulham beat Southampton who then got a draw with Man United in the next game. I suppose it is to emphasise that Fulham beating Southampton was a decent result?

Yes you are right Tony. However my point stands and that being we could take something from the Man U game.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:54 pm

I've been saying this for ages haven't I ?
They've tried to spend their way to overnight success and what you get immediately you can lose just as quickly.
I'm watching Fulham playing Chelsea now and they're trying to out-Chelsea them. We've done it the hard way which takes longer but might perhaps last if we get there.