Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Does anybody remember this ?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Im sure i would have been at the game but cant remember anything like this happening?

Cardiff v Gillingham 2003

Gillingham manager Andy Hessenthaler

The incident occurred when Hessenthaler's Gills side travelled to Ninian Park to face Cardiff in September 2003. The player-manager named himself among the substitutes for the visitors in south Wales and watched on as his side fell 3-0 behind to the Bluebirds inside 35 minutes. The third goal, scored by Robert Earnshaw after Gillingham's players mistakenly stopped playing believing the referee had awarded a free-kick, slightly annoyed the visiting manager.

"The goal stood so I went mental," he told the Sun. "I had a go at the fourth official and when he called the ref to the dug-out, I was off. I asked: 'What about me coming on as a player?' and the fourth official said there was nothing in the rules to stop it. So I trotted down the tunnel – but then our kit man drags me from the dressing-room.

"We were 3-0 down and my first-team coach Wayne Jones – who was now in charge of the side – wanted me on straight away as sub. I was all kitted up so I trotted back out, my number was held up and I was on the pitch. Even Cardiff manager Lennie Lawrence was laughing because he couldn't believe what was happening."

With 10 minutes to go Hessenthaler was booked, but he survived the final few minutes on the pitch to avoid going into the record books as the first player-manager to be sent off twice.

Re: Does anybody remember this ?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:18 pm

I remember losing 4 -1 down there and being relegated back to the bottom division AGAIN in the process...and fair play for a mid weeker we had a few down there ….

its made me think back to how shit the drive home was that night in the year 2000 and how much has happened in the 18 years since ….top tier twice..new ground..million pound players...4 Wembley visits...ten million pound players...30k average crowds...unbelievable...
and yet every chairman /owner / manager has received criticism :lol: :lol: ...many by me.. :lol:

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:00 am

Yes remember it well - He was GILLINGHAM through and through AH .

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:08 pm

I remember us playing them at NP in the FA Cup a long long time I ago. I think we were 0-1 down at half time to a really contentious goal but we came back to win 4-1 in the end. No idea what year it was though...