Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW / OPINION FROM A MISSED PENALTY / THEN TOO MUCH CLA

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 pm

MY VIEW / OPINION

FROM A MISSED PENALTY / THEN TOO MUCH CLASS FOR CARDIFF CITY TO HANDLE TONIGHT

Second-Half West Ham just upped a gear and tore Cardiff apart, what a diffent half.

First-Half: West Ham dominated first 25mins, but Cardiff finished the first half-half by far the better team :thumbright:

City will need to bring some class this January, they can’t survive just on guts and passion when they play the bigger clubs.

WEST HAM 3 CARDIFF CITY 1
Crowd
Away Support 1,700 :bluebird:

Cardiff City: Etheridge; Manga, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett; Arter, Gunnarsson, Ralls; Camarasa, Hoilett, Paterson.

Subs: Smithies, Peltier, Murphy, Decordova-Reid, Mendez-Laing, Harris, Madine.

On a big pitch West Ham seemed to have all the time and space they needed.

20 mins brilliant one handed save by Etheridge :ayatollah:

24rh min Sean Morrison kicked the ball off the line.

Junior Hoilett brought down in 35th min and Joe Ralls stepped up to take for me a poor penalty kick saved 0-0

City to be fair then came in to the game and in the 44th min
Camarasa took a free kick and Fabianksi had to make for second time a very good save .

H/T 0-0

49th min 1-0 West Ham, West Ham went in front.

The substitute Perez pounced after a string of mistakes at the back for Cardiff. :cry:

54th min West Ham 2-0

Far too much space for Perez and to easy.

Then 3-0 West Ham were just taking mick it seemed as Cardiff just opened up again. :cry:

Ralls and Hoilett weee replaced by Mendez-Laing and Josh Murphy.

The rest of the game West Ham just eased off, but at the same time controlled the game.

Murphy consolidation.

F/T 3-1?cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW / OPINION FROM A MISSED PENALTY / THEN TOO MUCH

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 pm

what was it 2-3 off line aswell said it on another post do not see what ralls brings to midfeild esp when arter gunners playing who are much better in role . still lets see what we can do saturday now

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Totally lost.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:45 pm

we weren't a million miles away from west ham in most areas, apart from their attack, which is far superior to ours. arnautovic was on a different level to our players when he was playing, and perez showed us how to stick the ball in the onion bag.

weak penalty from ralls, and a comedy of errors by bennett and morrison for the first goal. only takes a couple of mistakes in 90 minutes to get well beaten at this level. we clearly lack a cutting edge up front, and that needs to be remedied in january if we are to get points from games like these.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Find a penalty taker rapidly

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:48 pm

At home with our support we can rattle anybody, the passion and energy and sheer will to win but away from home you need that bit of class. We aren’t at the level yet where we can rock up to West Ham and win, but no complaints here it is what it is and it shows how important the home games are.

Was a step too far after the energy put in Friday night, ok we had a bad 15 mins and ironically we were playing ok at that point but the missed pen killed us ( didn’t fancy him ) draw a line under that, the gulf in class was too much at times. 8 for West Ham run the show. That result though is not a big surprise.

We go again.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:48 pm

The result did not surprise me in the least, and the reasons I went for a West Ham victory were simple really. Firstly, in my opinion they are, and have been for most of my life, a better team than us, and added to that they had home advantage. As usual, the bookies were not far out with their pre-match odds. I don't think we are a million miles behind West Ham, but right now we still have some catching up to do. There are going to be plenty more poor results to come, but not just for us. Hopefully, there will be a few other teams with equally disappointing results.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:50 pm

Bluesman wrote:Find a penalty taker rapidly

His record is very good, but he’s not stepped up the level this season and remains a decent championship player at best. I thought he might kick on but not having a great season.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:50 pm

Lost concentration for 15 mins after their first goal and conceded another 2 soft ones!! Could've scraped something tonight. Warnock is going to be fuming!

Positives:
NML is back and looked lively.
We scored away.
Ralls won't be allowed to take a penalty again.
Home game next, we're a different team at CCS.
We have much better support than West Ham.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Probably got one in Camarasa :thumbup:

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Ralls and Camarasa were argueing over it before it was taken.
I would pick Camarasa all day long the way he strikes a ball and his technique is fantastic.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:53 pm

It's about time NW tried something different to Patterson it's simply not working on any level? Why have madine on bench if not going to use him and when he does it's after 80mins give the guy a chance especially at home with home support, got fck all to lose have we? And if not madine someone else anyone to change a failed experiment. :roll:

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:53 pm

thomasblue wrote:

Ralls and Camarasa were argueing over it before it was taken.
I would pick Camarasa all day long the way he strikes a ball and his technique is fantastic.

He hit a sweet freekick just a couple of mins after the pen. Should've taken it.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:55 pm

Had that penalty gone in then it may have been a different story but I don't think we should be losing our heads with an away defeat at West Ham. They stuffed Newcastle on Saturday and I think will finish in the top 10 easily. The positive tonight was getting a consolation goal with our poor goal difference and that all the other teams lost around us. Saints are away at Spurs and Burnley are at home to Liverpool tomorrow. I don't think we'll lose any ground on this round of fixtures. Saints on Saturday is a massive game now though.
Last edited by EastleighBlue on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:The result did not surprise me in the least, and the reasons I went for a West Ham victory were simple really. Firstly, in my opinion they are, and have been for most of my life, a better team than us, and added to that they had home advantage. As usual, the bookies were not far out with their pre-match odds. I don't think we are a million miles behind West Ham, but right now we still have some catching up to do. There are going to be plenty more poor results to come, but not just for us. Hopefully, there will be a few other teams with equally disappointing results.

Well other teams haven't taken advantage tonight so it's going to be up & down for several teams before end season that's for sure... :old:

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Stringfellow wrote:At home with our support we can rattle anybody, the passion and energy and sheer will to win but away from home you need that bit of class. We aren’t at the level yet where we can rock up to West Ham and win, but no complaints here it is what it is and it shows how important the home games are.

Was a step too far after the energy put in Friday night, ok we had a bad 15 mins and ironically we were playing ok at that point but the missed pen killed us ( didn’t fancy him ) draw a line under that, the gulf in class was too much at times. 8 for West Ham run the show. That result though is not a big surprise.

We go again.
Totally agree. We are what we are.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Lacking in quality and switching off for 10 min cost us

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 pm

BLUE54 wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:At home with our support we can rattle anybody, the passion and energy and sheer will to win but away from home you need that bit of class. We aren’t at the level yet where we can rock up to West Ham and win, but no complaints here it is what it is and it shows how important the home games are.

We go again.
Totally agree. We are what we are.

We also get an extra day rest over Southampton. And we rested all the second half by the look of it!!

Massive game Saturday. Our job to make sure the Stadium is bouncing from start to finish! :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:00 pm

The penalty miss was the turning point in this game .

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:00 pm

West Ham’s quality is far superior to ours, that’s obvious. I think they’ll finish in the top half.

But that second half defending was a disgrace. Terrible defending cost us that game, especially the first two goals.

Could have been different if Ralls had scored the penalty.

Don’t enjoy being negative, but you can’t make those sort of mistakes in this league.

Good thing is Huddersfield lost. Hopefully the other three teams below us will also lose tomorrow night.

Makes the game on Saturday even bigger, feel we’ll have to rely on our home form alone to stay up.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Ralls won't take another one .
Then again will we get another one?
There are 7/8 teams in our little league.
It really is all to play for.
But we really need a natural goalscorer.
Oh for Chopra in his prime.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:The result did not surprise me in the least, and the reasons I went for a West Ham victory were simple really. Firstly, in my opinion they are, and have been for most of my life, a better team than us, and added to that they had home advantage. As usual, the bookies were not far out with their pre-match odds. I don't think we are a million miles behind West Ham, but right now we still have some catching up to do. There are going to be plenty more poor results to come, but not just for us. Hopefully, there will be a few other teams with equally disappointing results.

Well other teams haven't taken advantage tonight so it's going to be up & down for several teams before end season that's for sure... :old:

Yes, there are going to be a few teams who will find points difficult to come by. I just hope that we don't find it quite as hard as at least three or four other sides.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Just to make everyone feel a litrle better... just read West Ham scored 3 Vs Everton, Man united, Newcastle, us and 4 Vs Burnley. They do have a great (and very expensive) attack. Southampton don't.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:22 pm

Would have been very interesting if the pen goes in. There crowd went so quiet, it galvanised them and our wheels came off.
Southampton is massive now.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Let's not forget some shocking defending.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:43 pm

Hasn't done any serious damage but we can't keep doing this . We needed a point from a game like this, or at least something close to it.
It's a missed opportunity because we could have started to consolidate a reasonable position.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:54 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes, there are going to be a few teams who will find points difficult to come by. I just hope that we don't find it quite as hard as at least three or four other sides.

Tbh about 5 teams are going to be in similar situation to us for rest season it's a case of who can get the most points away from home unfortunately cannot see us getting many if any bit like Burnley who took until last away game to get win Home form is critical. :thumbup:

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.