Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Poor atmosphere in a poor ground.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:33 am

Not impressed by the atmosphere in the Olympic stadium last night. The fans are just too far away from the pitch to make for anything like the intimidating atmosphere at Upton Park. They even have a big screen at the other end of the of the pitch behind the goals showing live footage I think the reason for this is to show the game as it's so far away that some people may may need to watch this rather than the actual game? West Ham away used to be one of the favourite venues for me as an away fan. Not any more sadly?

Re: Poor atmosphere in a poor ground.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 am

I was there .i totally agree.west ham used to be the one of the most hostile places you could go in the country not anymore.fantastic support but mostly quiet throughout the game.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 am

Agreed, reminded me of Wembley, miles from the action, and you know any chanting or singing is lost and no one is hearing. Modern football, give me the old grounds. R I P UPTON PARK.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:25 am

Really poor, it's not a football stadium. The standard of atmosphere this season at away grounds from the home fans has been dreadful. Hats off to our fans, the new stadium has always been criticised and rightly so on times but our home support has been 10 times better than anything I've seen so far this season. Our away support has also been top notch as always. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:33 am

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Agreed, reminded me of Wembley, miles from the action, and you know any chanting or singing is lost and no one is hearing. Modern football, give me the old grounds. R I P UPTON PARK.

Totally agree, I don't think it works as a football stadium, we found it really difficult to make our normal noisy vocal support mainly because our fans were on two different levels so hard to coordinate the songs, the upper level was bloody far from the pitch and separate from the lower level by a massive walkway. For me also the most noticeable aspect was the lack of an intimidating atmosphere, there were no problems either walking to or from the stadium back to the coaches and I remember visiting the old Upton Park was at times quite scary.How times have changed.Couldn't fault the concourse area with the refreshment bars and toilet facilities so that was a plus. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:52 pm

TERRYB wrote:
Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Agreed, reminded me of Wembley, miles from the action, and you know any chanting or singing is lost and no one is hearing. Modern football, give me the old grounds. R I P UPTON PARK.

Totally agree, I don't think it works as a football stadium, we found it really difficult to make our normal noisy vocal support mainly because our fans were on two different levels so hard to coordinate the songs, the upper level was bloody far from the pitch and separate from the lower level by a massive walkway. For me also the most noticeable aspect was the lack of an intimidating atmosphere, there were no problems either walking to or from the stadium back to the coaches and I remember visiting the old Upton Park was at times quite scary.How times have changed.Couldn't fault the concourse area with the refreshment bars and toilet facilities so that was a plus. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Brilliant hot dogs, (massive), but London prices to match!

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:36 am

llangainbluebird wrote:
TERRYB wrote:

Brilliant hot dogs, (massive), but London prices to match!

They all love a big sausage in London.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:57 am

TERRYB wrote:

5 of us stayed in a hotel by Hyde park and tubed in to Stratford. same experience as you..it was about as intimidating as a trip to Tesco.nothing like previous visits to West Ham ,lots of groups of bored looking cops and stewards ..the stewards holding stop/go signs were a novelty though..