Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We stand on the banks of the Rubicon

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 pm

I watched the game against West Ham United, and thought a great deal about it afterwards.

I cannot complain about anything. Every player did well and was a credit to the club. We have reached a standard which is remarkable in the time we've been on this campaign. No one can now do more than they are doing, or do it better.

Thus we face a decision ,and a decisive one. Is this it ? A small club punching above its weight and hanging on as long as that lasts ? Hoping that the occasional inspired performance will keep us going but accepting regular defeats from bigger clubs ?

Maybe that's it. I don't know. Not what I'd like to see happening , but then I'm not having to come up with huge transfer fees and wage bills .

I do know this I think. We are at the stage at this point where we urgently require substantial investment to go to the next stage in our undoubted and very creditable progress. Where this comes from I do not know , but it's a clear choice for somebody isn't it ? I personally belie that we can go on to eventually become a top six club ,( although I do appreciate that that's a five year project at least ), but if we hope or intend to achieve that then we cannot afford to stop progressing, even if that progress is slow.

We must retain the services of Sir Neil for as long as he is prepared to carry on building us, and then be guided by him in the choice of his eventual successor ( a subject I only mention because of his age), and it is to be hoped that Mr Vincent Tan, ( who's part in this has been the real driving force , whether morons understand that or not ), will persist in his efforts.

That said, there is a limit as to how much money one man, however rich , can throw at a football club . Let's not forget that his gifts so far have been both magnificent and huge . However , I wonder whether it might be possible to get some other large investor or investors to share the responsibility with him, on a minority shareholding basis perhaps ?

We need some wise and prudent transfer dealings in January, but providing that is enough to stabilise our position, we will need some proper first class players in the summer, which would cost a lot of money, and such players will need paying a lot too.

Is any of this going to happen , and if so , where is the money going to come from ???

Re: We stand on the banks of the Rubicon

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:03 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I watched the game against West Ham United, and thought a great deal about it afterwards.

I cannot complain about anything. Every player did well and was a credit to the club. We have reached a standard which is remarkable in the time we've been on this campaign. No one can now do more than they are doing, or do it better.

Thus we face a decision ,and a decisive one. Is this it ? A small club punching above its weight and hanging on as long as that lasts ? Hoping that the occasional inspired performance will keep us going but accepting regular defeats from bigger clubs ?

Maybe that's it. I don't know. Not what I'd like to see happening , but then I'm not having to come up with huge transfer fees and wage bills .

I do know this I think. We are at the stage at this point where we urgently require substantial investment to go to the next stage in our undoubted and very creditable progress. Where this comes from I do not know , but it's a clear choice for somebody isn't it ? I personally belie that we can go on to eventually become a top six club ,( although I do appreciate that that's a five year project at least ), but if we hope or intend to achieve that then we cannot afford to stop progressing, even if that progress is slow.

We must retain the services of Sir Neil for as long as he is prepared to carry on building us, and then be guided by him in the choice of his eventual successor ( a subject I only mention because of his age), and it is to be hoped that Mr Vincent Tan, ( who's part in this has been the real driving force , whether morons understand that or not ), will persist in his efforts.

That said, there is a limit as to how much money one man, however rich , can throw at a football club . Let's not forget that his gifts so far have been both magnificent and huge . However , I wonder whether it might be possible to get some other large investor or investors to share the responsibility with him, on a minority shareholding basis perhaps ?

We need some wise and prudent transfer dealings in January, but providing that is enough to stabilise our position, we will need some proper first class players in the summer, which would cost a lot of money, and such players will need paying a lot too.

Is any of this going to happen , and if so , where is the money going to come from ???

Tan's wallet

Re: We stand on the banks of the Rubicon

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Good post mate.Always felt there must be additional WELSH investers out there somewhere. I think it's all about surviving this season for Mr Tan and if so, maybe he may get more prudent next time around. But happy that we establish ourselves as a strong football club, and look for our own Welsh products.