Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NATHAN BLAKE: PLAYERS CARDIFF CITY SHOULD TARGET IN JANUARY

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:14 am

The players Cardiff City should target in January and my honest recruitment advice
By Nathan Blake

Last season, I recommended Cardiff City sign Newcastle United midfielder Mo Diame – who at the time was out of the side and unhappy at St James’ Park – but they went down a different route.

Diame has come back into the equation at Newcastle since then, while Cardiff’s need for new signings has become little more urgent.

So, again, I’m going to suggest a few players Cardiff could target who would be ready-made for the Premier League.

Here’s one to start you off: Leighton Baines at Everton. Go and get him. He’s still a quality left-back, was England’s first choice in that position not too long ago, a leader and someone who would bring in even higher standards of professionalism to the club.

He’s not first choice at Everton these days, so someone must surely swoop for him in the New Year and sell him the dream – as I said when I floated the idea of Cardiff re-signing Aaron Ramsey from Arsenal.

In terms of a striker, a position we all know Cardiff need to get in January, I like the idea suggested on these pages a while ago in Fernando Llorente.

He’s another experienced pro who would add much-needed quality in an area Cardiff are lacking it.

But I also know there are two or three other internationals around the global game who would be available for half of Llorente’s wages.

So Cardiff have to assemble a transfer plan to go and find them.

The problem Neil Warnock has had during his time at Cardiff is each of his signings have been to plug a gap, putting something in place temporarily – and eventually that catches up with you. It doesn’t work long term.

Recruitment is vital at the top level and I just feel the Bluebirds have been shopping in a market which is comfortable for them. I don’t see them delving into European markets like their rivals do.

The reason they found Victor Camarasa was because they played against him in that Real Betis pre-season friendly.

Trust me when I say there are lots of Camarasas out there. You just need to do your due diligence and unearth them.

It’s no good Cardiff hoping to sign someone like Troy Deeney from Watford, which was mentioned in the summer. There’s no way they’re going to sell him in January.

Newcastle aren’t going to sell Diame anymore either. You have to pounce when the time is right, you have to know your onions and do your homework on these players.

Another player I’d love Cardiff to target is Danny Drinkwater.

He’s a class act, has actually played for the Bluebirds in the past, and could be available on loan having barely played since he moved to Chelsea.

But there will be some big wages to get around — as there will be with several of their targets.

So Cardiff can’t have it both ways. It’s difficult to apply pressure on Warnock and insist he must keep this team in the Premier League if the team hasn’t had investment.

They only spent pocket money to get promotion in the first place, so Warnock would be forgiven for wanting more money in the hope of achieving survival.

It's a necessity, I'm afraid: Bournemouth have done it, Watford have done it, Southampton, Burnley – are these clubs bigger than Cardiff?

No, but they had a plan and they backed it up with sound investment. The three players I’ve mentioned would all merit wages in excess of £65,000 per week.

So for me, Warnock needs help in the recruitment department and a strategic approach to the January transfer window. Maybe an extra member of staff behind the scenes would be an intelligent move.

Consider this column my two pence worth of advice, but we all know the January window won’t be that straightforward. It never is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NATHAN BLAKE: PLAYERS CARDIFF CITY SHOULD TARGET IN JANU

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am

It's a right back that we need, not a left back. We could do a lot worse than Chris Gunter

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:05 pm

Ramsey and Drinkwater in midfield - Sorted, thanks for the input Blake

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Come on Nathan, why would we want another left back when we already have two who are very capable. You also state that there are two or three international out there besides Lorriente who would be available. Please have the courage to name them.Othetwise you article is a waste of time.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:42 pm

I have been saying for months paying a top quality scout pays dividends scouting across europe etc the money we are spending on tomlin could have payed the wages of a good scout

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Nathan just a few things Camarasa did not play against us he was on the subs bench and never came on, also we are looking abroad!

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:17 pm

We need solid players nothing special with over inflated wages.

We need a striker who is hungry to make a name for himself not a journeyman like Lorrente who will just collect a wage.

Drinkwater would be too expensive, as will Ramsey unless he himself wants the move (its worth asking)

If there is loads of Camarasa's out there where are they hiding ?
Go get them all

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:13 pm

He is right about us needing a proper European scouting network run by someone who knows what he's doing. Given his dubious record on the transfer market recently I would rather Warnock tell someone what he needs and someone else go out and pick the player paticularly if he is European.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:53 pm

:P
Igovernor wrote:Nathan just a few things Camarasa did not play against us he was on the subs bench and never came on, also we are looking abroad!

Was gonna say the same.

Bloody 300k a week of signings there too.

Guy is a clown.

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:50 am

maccydee wrote::P
Igovernor wrote:Nathan just a few things Camarasa did not play against us he was on the subs bench and never came on, also we are looking abroad!

Was gonna say the same.

Bloody 300k a week of signings there too.

Guy is a clown.

in fairness Nathan is just doing what they all do these days...link 6 players a week { 6 a day if your Alan Nixon } ,get one correct and claim they are nostradamus

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:08 pm

montyblue wrote:the money we are spending on tomlin could have payed the wages of a good scout

Interesting way of thinking about it. Hadn't ever really thought about it like that but your absolutley right :thumbup:

:ayatollah: