Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL WARNOCK:

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:03 am

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock was in jubilant mood after his side's sensational 1-0 win over Southampton.

Sunday 9th December 2018

He lavished praise on goal scorer Callum Paterson, as well as Harry Arter and spoke about his striking department which sees Paterson as a clear first choice at the moment.

Here's everything the Cardiff boss said in his post-match press conference...

Was that a deserved win today?

Warnock: "Well, we say 'it's just another game' but when I woke up in the middle of the night last night, I realised it'd be a tough game today. It's great to be sat here with three points and I thought we deserved to to be honest.

"And it took a mistake to win the game and you know me I criticise referees, but I don't think anybody other than Jonathan Moss would have given us an advantage like that.

"The way he didn't blow for the obvious free-kick there and Paterson got that little bit of luck. I've got to say a big thank you, I thought that was a fantastic advantage today."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK:

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:05 am

Callum Paterson has done brilliantly, hasn't he?

"You've only got to look at the stats the amount of ground he covers, he's just a tremendous lad really.

"He'll play anywhere for me, do anything. In the old fashioned days I used to say he'd run through a brick wall for me. But if I asked him to, he probably would!

Cardiff City's Callum Paterson scores his side's goal against Southampton (Image: PA Wire)
"It's great for him tonight because he does work really hard, the way he runs and puts defenders under pressure.

"I don't honestly know what we'd do without him at the minute. Gary (Madine) was on the bench today, he's only done a couple of days (training) this week, Ken Zohore has started training as well.

"So I'm really glad we've no midweek games to be honest."

You could have won by a bigger margin today...?

"I went for Mendez-Laing and Murph because I thought we could get in behind them in those areas with Paterson's work. And on another day we could have scored two or three and made it a little easier, but not to be.

"Mendez hasn't played for six months but he did enough so they knew they had somebody to deal with and takes their mind off things. And with Murphy they replaced the right back at half time so it was a good decision really.

"In midfield I thought we did well. And at the back apart from Mozza not scoring a goal, I didn't see a mistake. When will he score a goal?

"The way we're defending away from home, it looks like it'll have to be! We work hard away from home and then concede three goals in 12 minutes, miss penalties, we can't do much more can we to lose a game?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:12 am

Harry Arter was superb, wasn't he?

"I thought that was his best game today because he was more disciplined. He's been a little bit erratic. Fans love him but he runs around like a chicken with its neck wrung at times, instead of being responsible.

"But today I thought he did both, ran about and tackled but he was responsible today, which makes him a hell of a good player."

How satisfied are you after this win?

"I wasn't just proud of the team today, I was proud of the whole club. Because the fans in the second half, it was horrendous conditions in the second half, but they always seem to lift the noise level and it just spurs you on.

"A big plus for everything today."

You're three points above the relegation zone on 14 point...

"Three more points than Chris Sutton!

"But don't let's get carried away, it's going to be a long hard winter.

"You don't get carried away with a club like ours, the big advantage is that we've got a group of fans who - home and away - are absolutely behind the lads 100 per cent and even when we lose, they're so vocal. That takes so much pressure off players, they can just relax and play.

"Like when I went with Sheffield United with my Dad, they work hard round here in the Valleys and they come to the team and if they see the team giving everything, that's all they ask.

"They don't want prima donnas and you can't tell me one lad who hasn't given everything today. It's why I've been in the game so long for days like today."

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:12 am

UPDATED :bluebird:

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:34 am

He really does “get “ the club. All we’ve ever wanted is a team that show they care, and this one really does. Every player in post match interviews always mention the fans. Like we are all one big team, not fans and players