Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Latest on Marko Grujic '

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:23 am

Marko Grujić Is Winning Fans At Hertha Berlin

10/12/18

Despite manager Jürgen Klopp’s praise, it’s been clear that Marko Grujić has some work to do if he is going to force his way into the Liverpool first team picture next year. The 22-year-old midfielder had a modestly productive loan spell at Cardiff City before being sent to Bundesliga outfit Hertha Berlin back in August on a one-year loan, with management hoping that the playing style in Berlin would translate to more minutes for Grujić.

Since heading the Germany, Grujić has made just seven appearances for Hertha, thanks in part to an unfortunate ankle injury that sidelined him for several weeks. Since returning, however, Grujić has had the opportunity to make a good impression, and he did exactly that this past weekend. Grujić’s headed goal in the 40th minute - his first of the season - was the difference against Eintracht Frankfurt, and has put Hertha Berlin in the 6th spot in the league.

The player was clearly elated to contribute following his injury spell.

“When I scored, I was full of emotion and it was a very special moment,” said Grujić. “I am very happy to have scored. When the corner came in, I had a feeling I was going to score. It was a very important victory and now we are back in the top six.”

Hertha manager Pál Dárdai - tagged as being a little bit like Klopp by Grujić - was just as effusive in his praise for the Serbian midfielder, describing the player as Hertha Berlin’s best midfielder of the past 20 years, by some distance.

Grujić’s teammates were ready to echo that praise. Defender Fabian Lustenberger offered that “Marko brings everything - offensive quality, defensive stability, and aerial ability. You hear people talk about complete players, and [Marko] meets a lot of the criteria to do that as a central midfielder. We’re happy that he’s with us and that he’s fit again.”

It remains to be seen whether Grujić stakes a claim in Klopp’s setup next year. The player - who signed a contract extension tying him to Liverpool until 2023 - has indicated that he might be inclined to spend another year in Berlin if Hertha qualify for the Europa League. The best case scenario for Liverpool is if he can maintain good form, and present Klopp with a tough decision at the end of the season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Latest on Marko Grujic '

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Ah....... The old Grujic " yeah, I'm coming back for certain thing".
He probably intends to keep this Berlin team hanging on till the German transfer deadline then text them at eleven o'clock saying he's decided to move to Blackburn Rovers.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Who?

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Liverpool and ex-Cardiff City midfielder named alongside Messi and Salah in European Team of the Week

Monday 10th December 2018

It's not very often you'd find a former Cardiff City player named in a team alongside Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi or Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski.

But that's what Liverpool's on-loan midfielder Marko Grujic has achieved this week after a stunning performance for Hertha Berlin in their 1-0 win over Eintracht Frankfurt in the Bundesliga.

His goal and man of the match performance has put Berlin level on points with fifth-placed Frankfurt and just four points off Bayern in third spot.

Grujic, 22, joined Cardiff City on loan from the Anfield giants last January and played 14 times as they secured promotion to the Premier League.

But they missed out on re-signing the Serbian in the summer and Grujic headed off to Germany where he has lit up the Bundesliga.

So much so that his performance on the weekend in the win over Frankfurt not only earned glowing praise from his boss but made Gazzetta dello Sport's European Team of the Week, Sport Witness report.

They also quote coach Pal Dardai as saying: "I've been with Hertha for 22 years. This is no insult to the others but Marko is by far the best midfielder I've seen at Hertha during this period."

Grujic recently said he could stay with Hertha for another season after the current campaign.

But for now he's basking in the Bundesliga limelight where he's joined in the European Team of the Week by Anfield team-mate Mo Salah and Chelsea's David Luiz as well as Messi and Lewandowski.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Camarasa is a much better player in every respect. One of Warnock's best signings and he must play centrally where he thrives. Grujic was ponderous by comparison.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Why do even give a crap about this guy!? He's history and this isn't really newsworthy IMO.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Was great for us at a time we needed him. I wish him well.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Ah....... The old Grujic " yeah, I'm coming back for certain thing".
He probably intends to keep this Berlin team hanging on till the German transfer deadline then text them at eleven o'clock saying he's decided to move to Blackburn Rovers.

Silly man.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:56 pm

bluemun wrote:Camarasa is a much better player in every respect. One of Warnock's best signings and he must play centrally where he thrives. Grujic was ponderous by comparison.

Spot on.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:44 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Ah....... The old Grujic " yeah, I'm coming back for certain thing".

That was Peter Whittingham

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 pm

He is shit

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Quality player, he gave the midfield balance and played an integral role in getting us up, some of the comments on here are baffling was anyone attending the games last season? :old:

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 pm

What like hull away ?at that game he was a total liability

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:49 pm

Shame we don’t have Grujic along side Arter and camarasa in our midfield, as ralls and Gunnarsson are simply not good enough