Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Josh Murphy “

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 am

The Josh Murphy effect strikes again and why Cardiff City's win over Southampton wasn't as simple as dropping Joe Ralls

By Dominic Booth

Monday 10th December 2018

What a feeling for Cardiff City.

To watch their side fight so hard and secure such an important win in the relegation battle against Southampton must have been hugely satisfying.

In the end it was Callum Paterson who clinched it following a Saints' mistake, but this was a truly team effort from Neil Warnock's side.

These are the key post-match talking points...

Desire wins the day

It's often far too easy to patronise unfancied teams like Cardiff with back-handed compliments, such as "they showed more desire", but there really was the feeling that the Bluebirds simply wanted this more.

In the driving rain and swirling South Wales wind, Ralph Hassenhuttl was given a brutal lesson about the reality of the Premier League.

The new Southampton boss watched on as his side were overpowered by Cardiff, despite the visitors showing some bright moments that - he felt - merited a point.

Even after spurning gilt-edged first half chances through Josh Murphy and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, the Bluebirds did not give up. They continued to be very direct, with the positioning of Victor Camarasa through the middle aiding that particular strategy.

And at the back Cardiff snuffed out Charlie Austin, who had looked bright in the opening 15 minutes, while limiting the effect of the dangerous Mario Lemina who cut a frustrated figure by the end.

The desire of the Cardiff players was matched by the tremendous supporters, which made for a euphoric Warnock who claimed "it's why I've been in the game so long for days like today

The Josh Murphy effect

Murphy tends to incite the odd groan from the Cardiff City Stadium crowd.

Yet there's no other player in the Bluebirds' squad who can get fans off their seat so quickly.

So while there was palpable frustration around the ground when the former Norwich youngster took too many touches to race into an Alex McCarthy-shaped barricade in the first half - after he'd rejected the chance to curl home with his favoured right foot - there was also panic in the Southampton dressing room a half-time.

Hassenhuttl's decision to put faith in young full-back Jan Valery backfired spectacularly when the 19-year-old became the latest victim of what surely must be known as the 'Murphy effect'.

Booked, taken off at half-time after a chastening half against the rapid left-winger... just ask Fulham's Calum Chambers what that would have felt like for Valery.

So while Murphy faded in the second half, as he often does, the performance showed why Warnock must persist with this precocious young talent.

Re: “ Josh Murphy “

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 am

Murphy is a massive talent who imo will play for his country one day, but his weakness is his decision making at times and being a little too greedy when a simple pass should be made.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:49 am

Doesn’t altrack back, however would be one my first names on the team sheet. Pace, ability to beat defenders, creative & scores goals! Surprised that he hasn’t been given more game time.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:34 pm

He sometimes waits for the ball to come to him instead of going to meet it and is often dispossessed by a defender, however he is a very exciting player to watch. Hopefully he can get a few more goals to help keep us up.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Good attacking player, loads of pace and can beat a man but fades a lot in the second half as do many wingers.

With him and NML wide we're a real threat on the counter.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Murphy has pace and skill but cannot shield the ball it gets taken off him to easily. Also not convinced that he has guts to get stuck in when needed. Hope he improves.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:46 am

Bluesman wrote:Murphy has pace and skill but cannot shield the ball it gets taken off him to easily. Also not convinced that he has guts to get stuck in when needed. Hope he improves.

In a way it's good he makes mistakes as long as he learns. He's got a lot of potential.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:15 am

We need Murphy to start every game. He’s the key to getting us out of the blocks quickly, and getting us on the front foot early in a game.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:33 am

I think Reid will be just as important - once he can get a few starts under his belt

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:12 am

Bluesman wrote:Murphy has pace and skill but cannot shield the ball it gets taken off him to easily. Also not convinced that he has guts to get stuck in when needed. Hope he improves.

Nonsense. He is great at getting us up the pitch and has shown good strength in holding off defenders. His only fault for me is his end product which will come in time.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:16 pm

I don't know what people are expecting. Do they know that even the likes of Ronaldo don't score every time they get the ball or get past defenders every single time ?
Most spectacular wingers take a run nowhere much more often than they score or put in a good cross ball. A lot of them rarely achieve either , but Josh Murphy does it more than most at any level and he's already scored more than most wingers.
He'll play for England and it won't be long before the very big clubs are after him.

If he were playing for Fulham or Everton, how much do you think we'd have to pay to get him in the transfer window - much more than we're likely to pay for a striker isn't it.

It actually annoys me a bit to see some of this nonsense because he's been one of the key players in keeping us where we are under difficult circumstances and it's one of the few areas of play where we're already covered properly no matter how we improve generally in the future.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:56 pm

He isn't the finished article but I don't think anyone was expecting that surely?

I think he has been excellent, and still has plenty of potential to improve.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 pm

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/john-m ... -1-5803616

Very decent young lads, Jacob and Josh done Norwich proud, I still love Craig Bellamy, my brother lost his leg through playing football at the age of 19, back in 1999, Bellamy came to a charity match to donate stuff from the club, signed shirt , ball etc,he brought Chris Llewellyn with him :shock: I see Iwan Roberts at Rotherham game a fortnight ago, done the corporate day out, he was floating around the bar/restaurant ,gutted malky mackay didn't work out for you, hes a decent fella

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:24 pm

For me he’s our best player, yes still raw and can make the wrong decision at times or in the incorrect area but he’s improved already on this. As for comments about strength?!?! He’s quick strong and uses his upper body well, great signing.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:17 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I don't know what people are expecting. Do they know that even the likes of Ronaldo don't score every time they get the ball or get past defenders every single time ?
Most spectacular wingers take a run nowhere much more often than they score or put in a good cross ball. A lot of them rarely achieve either , but Josh Murphy does it more than most at any level and he's already scored more than most wingers.
He'll play for England and it won't be long before the very big clubs are after him.

If he were playing for Fulham or Everton, how much do you think we'd have to pay to get him in the transfer window - much more than we're likely to pay for a striker isn't it.

It actually annoys me a bit to see some of this nonsense because he's been one of the key players in keeping us where we are under difficult circumstances and it's one of the few areas of play where we're already covered properly no matter how we improve generally in the future.

England call ups? Slow down soldier!

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:32 am

nubbsy wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:I don't know what people are expecting. Do they know that even the likes of Ronaldo don't score every time they get the ball or get past defenders every single time ?

England call ups? Slow down soldier!

Wait and see. I'm certain that I'm looking at a top quality player in the making

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:39 pm

City to finish 10th
Murphy for an england call up

Both pencilled in :thumbup: