Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SOL BAMBA: “ ITS A SERIOUS ISSUE, WE NEED TO ADDRESS”

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 pm

'I would 100% have reacted to abuse Raheem Sterling received - we've talked about it at Cardiff City' - Sol Bamba

Bamba was on The Debate panel to discuss the abuse suffered by the Man City star

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=202639

By Ian Mitchelmore

WED 12 DEC 2018

Sol Bamba discussed the abuse suffered by Raheem Sterling on The Debate
Get Weekday Cardiff City FC updates directly to your inbox

Cardiff City defender Sol Bamba says he would have reacted had he been in the crowd to witness the alleged racist abuse a Chelsea fan hurled at Man City star Raheem Sterling.

Television cameras captured Colin Wing, 60, screaming at Sterling during Chelsea's 2-0 Premier League win over the reigning champions on Saturday night.

Wing has since revealed he has lost his job and his season ticket at Chelsea as a result of the incident, although — despite apologising to England international Sterling — he denies racially abusing the Man City star.

And Bamba admits the racism storm at Stamford Bridge has been a hot topic of discussion in the Cardiff City dressing room, adding that he would have stepped in had he been in the stands and witnessed the type of abuse Sterling suffered.

"In the dressing room, we've been talking about it," Bamba told The Debate podcast.

"It's a serious issue we need to address.

"Hopefully it won't just be the topic of the day or the week. We've got an important job as current players because we've got a voice.

"Unfortunately with Raheem Sterling, because fans pay high prices to watch games, they think they have got the right to abuse a player and that's a big problem.

"If I was in the crowd seeing that, I would react. I would 100 per cent react.

"I can't be sitting here watching a football game and seeing someone being abused in that manner and saying nothing, regardless if he's black or not.

"That reflects the society we're in unfortunately. If something like that happens, you'd like to think someone would say 'you can't say that' or 'you can't do that'."

Discussing the wider issue of racism in society, Bamba highlighted the situation of former Arsenal and Tottenham defender Sol Campbell who recently landed his first job in management with Macclesfield Town.

His role with the Silkmen came seven years after he retired from professional football, while the likes of Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and John Terry have all landed coaching roles after hanging up their boots.

And Bamba has opened up on the racism that exists in everyday life and how it is a major concern in football.

"On the football pitch I've never experienced it fortunately," added the centre-back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: SOL BAMBA: “ ITS A SERIOUS ISSUE, WE NEED TO ADDRESS”

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:53 pm

SOL BAMBA:

"But racism comes in different forms.”

"I've experienced being in my car and driving to the shop, and when I parked my car someone said to me 'you must be a footballer or a drug dealer' because I've got a nice car. It's offensive.

"If you look at Sol Campbell, he had an unbelievable career and he wanted to go into management. He only got a job with a League Two team, a team at the bottom too.

"You look a Frank Lampard, he jumped straight into Derby, Steven Gerrard, he went to Rangers and you look at John Terry, he became a second assistant manager at Aston Villa.

"So when you're from the black community, when you see that, you think is there something going on?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Was it that Collin fella that threw the banana? And did he shout anything racist?

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Forever Blue wrote:SOL BAMBA:

"I've experienced being in my car and driving to the shop, and when I parked my car someone said to me 'you must be a footballer or a drug dealer' because I've got a nice car. It's offensive.

"If you look at Sol Campbell, he had an unbelievable career and he wanted to go into management. He only got a job with a League Two team, a team at the bottom too.

"You look a Frank Lampard, he jumped straight into Derby, Steven Gerrard, he went to Rangers and you look at John Terry, he became a second assistant manager at Aston Villa.

"So when you're from the black community, when you see that, you think is there something going on?"

I don't agree with much of that to be honest.

The kid may have said he was a footballer or a drug dealer if he was white as well. Lets not assume everyone is racist.

The reason Sol Campbell didn't get a job is because he comes across as a complete a**hole with a huge ego.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 pm

I suspect if sol had any grief our own fans would be the first to sort them out.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:56 pm

welshrarebit wrote:I suspect if sol had any grief our own fans would be the first to sort them out.

We have plenty of racist fans too though. Some of the stuff you hear especially at away games is pure vile. It always from the older generation aswell.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:41 pm

It was the worst debate on racism in football i have heard.

All they did was spout accusations of prejudice without backing it up with facts or stats.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Some of the London clubs are genuinely horrific in their chants and very racist having worked with a few Chelsea and spurs fans in the past. To be honest never seen anything like that at the city.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:11 pm

No-one likes Sterling, he comes across as arrogant and aloof, same as Lewis Hamilton..they seem to get annoyed that because they are talented sportsman, they should automatically gain respect. It isn’t there.

Sol Campbell is just weird.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:44 pm

I’ve asked before and I’ll ask again,what was said to sterling?
Was it racist or just hating an opponent player.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:58 pm

theclaw wrote:I’ve asked before and I’ll ask again,what was said to sterling?

So far they are not saying what was supposedly said ? ? ?

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Chelsea fan rang talk sport

“I never heard him say anything”

“I called Sterling an embarrassment to England”

“I wouldn’t have said anything if I heard racism. I wouldn’t know what to say”

“I apologise to Raheem Sterling"

This #CFC fan was near the man who is alleged to have racially abused @Sterling7.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=202639 :thumbright:

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Annis I’ve seen at Cardiff and every other ground,opposing players getting a right gob full.Doesnt mean it’s racist it’s just hatred for the opposition.
If Sterling is complaining ( and rightly so if racist),come out and say it so everybody knows.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:24 pm

theclaw wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis I’ve seen at Cardiff and every other ground,opposing players getting a right gob full.Doesnt mean it’s racist it’s just hatred for the opposition.
If Sterling is complaining ( and rightly so if racist),come out and say it so everybody knows.

Brynna,
Thats exactly how I see it, I am starting to believe there was NO RACISM.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:02 pm

We ave Eden Hazard dogs abuse is that the same ? It’s all part of football banter as long as it isn’t racist. I have no idea if those Chelsea fans were guilty of racist abuse or not.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:15 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

The kid may have said he was a footballer or a drug dealer if he was white as well. Lets not assume everyone is racist.

The reason Sol Campbell didn't get a job is because he comes across as a complete a**hole with a huge ego.

agree
Sol Campbell has been flirting with politics for years...didn't he try running for mayor and wanted to be an MP.?
if I was at football...black or not etc....is he really saying he misses fans being angry and abusive because I see it every week..

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:45 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

On the second part he said it comes in different forms not just about the colour of skin.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Let's not sugar coat this it is clear as day without even having to hear what the Chelsea fan was saying you can read exactly what he was saying.

You can't really argue with what Sterling said in his statement/post, you see the article for Foden compared to Sterling's why do the media always have to separate the wording for a white player against a black player why can't they used the same terminology.. I am not saying people who work in media are racist but the question is why do they make a negative side of a title/article against Sterling compared to Foden.

This will go on for a while just like the gender neutral debates where you'll find people reading way too far inbetween the lines to find racism in things but you got to ask the question why the media seem to make negative headlines towards black players compared to white players? It's clear as day how one article portrays Foden in a good light and Sterling in a bad light like he's some mega rich player that splashes money like a spoilt player.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:52 pm

thomasblue wrote:It was the worst debate on racism in football i have heard.

All they did was spout accusations of prejudice without backing it up with facts or stats.

If anything they backed it up reasonably and fairly enough, let's not hide from it and pretend it's not there.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:16 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Let's not sugar coat this it is clear as day without even having to hear what the Chelsea fan was saying you can read exactly what he was saying.

How can it be clear as day when you can't hear what was said? 'Read exactly what he was saying?' Well inform us was did you read or should I say what is it YOU WANTED TO HEAR? :roll:

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Let's not sugar coat this it is clear as day without even having to hear what the Chelsea fan was saying you can read exactly what he was saying.

How can it be clear as day when you can't hear what was said? 'Read exactly what he was saying?' Well inform us was did you read or should I say what is it YOU WANTED TO HEAR? :roll:

He called him a 'black c**t' I don't know why people are doubting it when there is clear evidence and it's easy to lip read what he said, I just don't know why people are being so naive on this and just accept the fact there is clear racism in this.

You can see by the posts people are just scared to admit the cruel truth of the situation.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:04 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:

He called him a 'black c**t' I don't know why people are doubting it when there is clear evidence and it's easy to lip read what he said, I just don't know why people are being so naive on this and just accept the fact there is clear racism in this.

You can see by the posts people are just scared to admit the cruel truth of the situation.

why would anyone be scared of saying racist....and no its not so clear if it was the guy by now would be arrested...
the cruel truth here is some pEople in a quest to look super PC instead of following lawful procedure are behaving like flat out NAZIS..

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:21 pm

dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:

why would anyone be scared of saying racist....and no its not so clear if it was the guy by now would be arrested...
the cruel truth here is some pEople in a quest to look super PC instead of following lawful procedure are behaving like flat out NAZIS..

People are too scared to talk about people being racist or the topic racism, there's no point in denying it. We are only now having proper debates and discussion on it across the country.

Lord Ouseley stepping down as kick it out chairman after 25 years speaks volumes on the whole situation and how far we actually come. It really is a sad mess.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:32 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:

People are too scared to talk about people being racist or the topic racism, there's no point in denying it. We are only now having proper debates and discussion on it across the country.

Lord Ouseley stepping down as kick it out chairman after 25 years speaks volumes on the whole situation and how far we actually come. It really is a sad mess.

are we beginning to debate..?
seems to me there is this group that want to shout racist constantly whether there is or is not racism...which obviously stops any real debate..

Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:15 am

Their’s only one kind of racism,it’s to discriminate someone’s colour, ethinticity,religion or culture and it’s also illega. To make excuses for using abusive racist language or actions & describing it as banter is hypocritical and quite frankly pathetic
Chelsea were right to take action against those racist bigots, the consequences of their actions, they are now beginning to regret.Cardiff City football club should take the strongest action if it ever happened at our club & I hope we never see any racism at our club. Sol Bamba is right to express his feelings & we should support him. Well done Sol Bamba. :bluescarf:

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:44 am

dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:

are we beginning to debate..?
seems to me there is this group that want to shout racist constantly whether there is or is not racism...which obviously stops any real debate..

No we're not. This thread is perfect proof that, all that's being asked is whether that colin fella has said anything wrong,, whats should happen if hes found innocent and that Sol Campbell is a bit of a t**t.

Sterling and Bamba are talking about racial undertones in football abd media and what we do if we witnessed blatant abuse, which is relatively new in terms of racism topic. So yeah Dando has a point about it just starting to be discussed.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:02 am

Like Hartson said on BT these vile people in society and football grounds are just in need of education and are basically thick. SPOT ON,

Check out @btsportfootball’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/sta ... 69504?s=09