Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED: CHELSEA FANS SAY THEY WERE NOT RACISTS

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Chelsea fan accused of abusing Raheem Sterling insists words were NOT racist, saying he called Manchester City star a ‘Manc c***’

Telegraph / The Times / The Daily Mail

December 2018

A football supporter caught on camera abusing Raheem Sterling revealed the shame his actions have caused him, but insisted the words he used weren’t racist.

Colin Wing was among a group of Chelsea fans shouting at the Manchester City player during a match on Saturday.

The 60-year-old, from Beckenham, South East London, apologised for his actions but denied he was a racist, telling the Daily Mail: “I’m deeply ashamed by own behaviour and I feel really bad.

“But I didn’t call him a black c***, I called him a Manc c***.”

The Metropolitan Police have launched an investigation into the alleged racial abuse at Stamford Bridge, while Chelsea have suspended four supporters and say they will support the police and pass on any information they gather.

Wing also claimed he’d been sacked and lost his season ticket as a result of his actions, adding he wanted to be left alone.

“I’ve been going to Chelsea for 50 years now and, because of where I sit, I’m picked up on the camera most weeks.

“If I had a history of saying this sort of thing I would’ve been caught by now.

“Nobody around me said they heard anything. I want to apologise unreservedly to Raheem and hope he can be a better man than I am by accepting it.

“I offer him an unreserved apology. Even if it wasn’t racist, it’s not right what I said.

Most Popular Football News

“Even the swearing is bad – but I got carried away.

“I was completely out of order, but I’ve lost my job and my season ticket now so everybody’s got what they wanted. So why can’t they leave me alone?”

Mr Wing, who didn’t reveal what he did for work, said he’d been spoken to by police twice on Saturday, but has not been charged with any crime. Sterling, meanwhile, has also been interviewed by officers.

Pep Guardiola, the 24-year-old’s manager at Manchester City, said he appreciates what Chelsea have done in reference to the suspension of supporters. “If it happened in my club we should do the same,” he said.

Chelsea fan Dean, circled, used to talkSPORT to send his apology to Sterling

Another Chelsea fan, Dean, who also shouted abuse at Stamford Bridge used talkSPORT to apologise to Sterling.

“I didn’t say anything racist, but I do admit swearing at him and calling him an embarrassment to England.

“I don’t defend it. It was a passionate game and we needed to win, but that really is no defence.

“I apologise for anything I said that was offensive. On behalf the other fans it just abhors me and I’m just really sorry.

“That language shouldn’t have come out, even what I said shouldn’t have come out.”

Sterling only smiled at the time, but later responded on social media, saying on Instagram he ‘expected no better’ at Stamford Bridge.

His team-mate, Leroy Sane, believes the England international has dealt with the matter well.

He said: “I think it’s sad this happens still. We all support Raheem and are on his side.

“He is a strong guy, a good guy. He can handle it and he is not letting it get him down.”

CHELSEA FAN ON TALK SPORT:

“I never heard him say anything”

“I called Sterling an embarrassment to England”

“I wouldn’t have said anything if I heard racism. I wouldn’t know what to say”

“I apologise to Raheem Sterling"

This #CFC fan was near the man who is alleged to have racially abused @Sterling7.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' CHELSEA FANS SAY THEY WERE NOT RACISTS '

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:33 pm

I remember some years ago we were playing at Stoke, and their ex Swansea striker MS was playing, our lot sang you Jack b*stard at him, after the game several Stoke fans rang in T/S, 5 live etc saying our fans were chanting racist chants, people need to know the actual words said before automatically claiming its racist, as with our chant it had nothing to do with colour or race and is sang at many ex jack players regardless.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:35 pm

The Cobra wrote:I remember some years ago we were playing at Stoke, and their ex Swansea striker MS was playing, our lot sang you Jack b*stard at him, after the game several Stoke fans rang in T/S, 5 live etc saying our fans were chanting racist chants, people need to know the actual words said before automatically claiming its racist, as with our chant it had nothing to do with colour or race and is sang at many ex jack players regardless.

I rem that well.

I am starting to think/believe Raheem Sterling was not racially abused, just insulted.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
The Cobra wrote:I remember some years ago we were playing at Stoke, and their ex Swansea striker MS was playing, our lot sang you Jack b*stard at him, after the game several Stoke fans rang in T/S, 5 live etc saying our fans were chanting racist chants, people need to know the actual words said before automatically claiming its racist, as with our chant it had nothing to do with colour or race and is sang at many ex jack players regardless.

I rem that well.

I am starting to think/believe Raheem Sterling was not racially abused, just insulted.

not sure mate its a bit unclear....

plenty on here queueing up early to be awarded the bestest mostest politically correct though

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:29 pm

you can quite clearly see in the video he is called a ‘black c**t’. to suggest otherwise makes you either heinously ignorant or completely blind.

say the words ‘black’ and ‘manc’. your mouth makes entirely different movements.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:29 pm

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I rem that well.

not sure mate its a bit unclear....

plenty on here queueing up early to be awarded the bestest mostest politically correct though

Thats the problem as usual most people assume they were guilty.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I rem that well.

Yes, I remember that incident/accusation and (to be fair) it was quickly put to bed when they realised what was actually being shouted :thumbright:

The Chelsea 'Gang of Four' is, I would have thought, an easy one to sort out with modern sound technology from TV crews at games and the fact it was picked up originally means it is recorded

Not condemning or condoning their actions; I wasn't there and the evidence will confirm their actions or otherwise

Where I sit at the CCS and previously at Ninian Park, I can hear a lot of the so-called 'banter' between some of our more quick-witted fans and opposition (sometimes our own) players. Some of it is just daft but a lot of it is genuinely funny and I've seen opposition players both laugh and join in to applause from the City support for taking it on the chin and I can honestly say I haven't heard an audible racist comment shouted for many a year at the CCS

Seems our house is in order. Let's hope it stays that way :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I rem that well.

Not the first time that happened either mate, in the mid 90s Scunthorpe away, Andy Mcfarlane, ex Swansea was playing for Scunthorpe, he was getting the customary YJB and the old bill came into the stand untill it was explained what was being said it was getting a bit fractious

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I rem that well.

Yes, I remember that incident/accusation and (to be fair) it was quickly put to bed when they realised what was actually being shouted :thumbright:

The Chelsea 'Gang of Four' is, I would have thought, an easy one to sort out with modern sound technology from TV crews at games and the fact it was picked up originally means it is recorded

Not condemning or condoning their actions; I wasn't there and the evidence will confirm their actions or otherwise

Where I sit at the CCS and previously at Ninian Park, I can hear a lot of the so-called 'banter' between some of our more quick-witted fans and opposition (sometimes our own) players. Some of it is just daft but a lot of it is genuinely funny and I've seen opposition players both laugh and join in to applause from the City support for taking it on the chin and I can honestly say I haven't heard an audible racist comment shouted for many a year at the CCS

Seems our house is in order. Let's hope it stays that way :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Chris, Correct modern technology would clear this up and it needs to be used ASAP :thumbright:

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:02 pm

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:you can quite clearly see in the video he is called a ‘black c**t’. to suggest otherwise makes you either heinously ignorant or completely blind.

say the words ‘black’ and ‘manc’. your mouth makes entirely different movements.

maybe you should join the police or become a pro lip reader because clear it is not...

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I rem that well.

Chris, Correct modern technology would clear this up and it needs to be used ASAP :thumbright:

It does, Annis. We need VAR now! :thumbright: :lol:

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 pm

dogfound wrote:
BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:you can quite clearly see in the video he is called a ‘black c**t’. to suggest otherwise makes you either heinously ignorant or completely blind.

maybe you should join the police or become a pro lip reader because clear it is not...

Exactly, you cannot tell the difference, and whats happened with the innocent untill proved guilty in this country? Seems to gone the other way these days, the alleged guilty person has lost his job and s/t and yet not even charged! Do it when proven guilty yes absolutly, but not before for gods sake!

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 pm

dogfound wrote:

Exactly, you cannot tell the difference, and whats happened with the innocent untill proved guilty in this country? Seems to gone the other way these days, the alleged guilty person has lost his job and s/t and yet not even charged! Do it when proven guilty yes absolutly, but not before for gods sake!

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:22 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I rem that well.

Not the first time that happened either mate, in the mid 90s Scunthorpe away, Andy Mcfarlane, ex Swansea was playing for Scunthorpe, he was getting the customary YJB and the old bill came into the stand untill it was explained what was being said it was getting a bit fractious

I really have my doubts on this one.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:24 pm

The Cobra wrote:
dogfound wrote:

this fella has had his ticket taken, lost his job, a picture of his house ,the names of his children even schools he attended have been made public...and maybe he did not even say it..
and anyone that even suggests that we should wait and see get called racists,blind and heinously ignorant..by the brain dead pc morons

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Stands reason that the next time a player swears in the referees face, or at another player, they get sacked.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:45 pm

dogfound wrote:
The Cobra wrote:
dogfound wrote:

this fella has had his ticket taken, lost his job, a picture of his house ,the names of his children even schools he attended have been made public...and maybe he did not even say it..
and anyone that even suggests that we should wait and see get called racists,blind and heinously ignorant..by the brain dead pc morons

Its a disgrace mate, so if hes not charged or found not guilty who will compensate him for the above hes going through. Nobody, but they should, R/S, Emirates fc especially with thier corrupt human rights abusing owners and the bbc!

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I rem that well.

I really have my doubts on this one.

Well he laughed at it and he as not come out and say he was racially abused (his colour) using bad language is not racial is it, If so 99% of fans are guilty every game of swearing at players! Football is really losing its heart and passion on and off the pitch .. :o

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Chelsea fans. What a horrible bunch of racists that all are. Not much of an IQ between all of them. :old:

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:35 pm

I’ve said from the beginning that you can clearly see that the feller called him a Manc c**t. Sterling obviously didn’t hear what he said, and just made a big deal of it for the media.

That could have been any group of fans including ours, which wouldn’t have thought twice about calling him a Manc c**t.

Feel for the feller, because I don’t think he’d be shouting those things with Black fellers sat that close to him.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Bananas wrote:Chelsea fans. What a horrible bunch of racists that all are. Not much of an IQ between all of them. :old:

Well not all of them but they have a track record with that sort of shit.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:57 am

We’re people also defending the scum Chelsea fans who prevented a black man from getting on a train in France a couple of years ago and then started chanting “Were racist and that’s the way we like it.”?

People who are going out of their way to defend him when they can’t be sure of what he has said is a bit ridiculous. Let’s wait and see what happens. Like I said on a diffrent thread on here though it’s always the older generation doing this sort of vile shit at football. Think some football fans are living in the past and somehow think that the fact they are surrounded by fellow supporters means they can act like complete knobheads and I dont just mean at the games either but also the traveling too and from the games. Some the behaivour on the trains for example to other travellers I have witnessed from City fans can only be described as disgraceful.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:15 am

phildavies wrote:We’re people also defending the scum Chelsea fans who prevented a black man from getting on a train in France a couple of years ago and then started chanting “Were racist and that’s the way we like it.”?

People who are going out of their way to defend him when they can’t be sure of what he has said is a bit ridiculous. Let’s wait and see what happens. Like I said on a diffrent thread on here though it’s always the older generation doing this sort of vile shit at football. Think some football fans are living in the past and somehow think that the fact they are surrounded by fellow supporters means they can act like complete knobheads and I dont just mean at the games either but also the traveling too and from the games. Some the behaivour on the trains for example to other travellers I have witnessed from City fans can only be described as disgraceful.

no body has defended racial abuse on here or racism..they have defended innocent until proven guilty
others including yourself have DECIDED guilt and linked it to another incident....yes your correct its 2018 ...no kangaroo courts here thanks...

and yes ive seen disgraceful behaviour on trains by some of our fans too but that does not mean it would relate to you ,just because you support the same team..

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:35 am

dogfound wrote:
phildavies wrote:We’re people also defending the scum Chelsea fans who prevented a black man from getting on a train in France a couple of years ago and then started chanting “Were racist and that’s the way we like it.”?

no body has defended racial abuse on here or racism..they have defended innocent until proven guilty
others including yourself have DECIDED guilt and linked it to another incident....yes your correct its 2018 ...no kangaroo courts here thanks...

and yes ive seen disgraceful behaviour on trains by some of our fans too but that does not mean it would relate to you ,just because you support the same team..

Re read what I said as you clearly didn’t comprehend it properly at no point did I decide guilt. Was just saying that people need to stop defending him as if he is innocent when they don’t have a clue of what he actually said.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:19 am

I cannot see how there would be no reaction from the black supporters around these idiots if this had been said and that this wouldn't of been at all mentioned if Man city had won the match .

Whether he has called him black/manc the guy is still in the wrong but its far too easy for us all to speculate that what was said was racist because of past behaviour by Chelsea fans/players .

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:36 am

phildavies wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Re read what I said as you clearly didn’t comprehend it properly at no point did I decide guilt. Was just saying that people need to stop defending him as if he is innocent when they don’t have a clue of what he actually said.

I read your comments as you say here and you are right! :thumbright:

So far, we have only been 'told' what happened. The only 'evidence' most have seen is press reports (and they have no agendas, do they? :lol: ) and a muted out video where you'd have to be an experienced lip-reading expert to know what was said

The Chelsea 'Gang of Four' (the two on the right of the image look like father and son? :? ) have clearly shouted something detrimental towards Raheem Sterling and the guy Colin Wing (aged 60! :shock: ) has already admitted to his part in it. For him at least, it is just the level of the abuse that needs to be clarified

Colin Wing's comment (quote) "I was completely out of order, but I’ve lost my job and my season ticket now so everybody’s got what they wanted. So why can’t they leave me alone?" is laughable though. It is unlikely he would be 'sacked' without overwhelming evidence and/or an immediate admission of guilt

Wouldn't be an issue though, if only he'd afforded Raheem Sterling the same courtesy, eh? ;) :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:11 pm

phildavies wrote:
dogfound wrote:

people going out of their way to defend him...………????????
read the threads and social media...…..that is not how it went .its the exact opposite...people actually jumped to guilty without evidence linking this to other incidents.. and those that remarked otherwise were the ones saying..hang on a minute lets make sure first...for saying that you get called a racist..

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Sven wrote:
phildavies wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I read your comments as you say here and you are right! :thumbright:

So far, we have only been 'told' what happened. The only 'evidence' most have seen is press reports (and they have no agendas, do they? :lol: ) and a muted out video where you'd have to be an experienced lip-reading expert to know what was said

The Chelsea 'Gang of Four' (the two on the right of the image look like father and son? :? ) have clearly shouted something detrimental towards Raheem Sterling and the guy Colin Wing (aged 60! :shock: ) has already admitted to his part in it. For him at least, it is just the level of the abuse that needs to be clarified

Colin Wing's comment (quote) "I was completely out of order, but I’ve lost my job and my season ticket now so everybody’s got what they wanted. So why can’t they leave me alone?" is laughable though. It is unlikely he would be 'sacked' without overwhelming evidence and/or an immediate admission of guilt

Wouldn't be an issue though, if only he'd afforded Raheem Sterling the same courtesy, eh? ;) :ayatollah:

people are going out of their way to defend him when its not clear what was said....?????????
yes mate ..its much better to defend a mans legal rights to condemn them as being racist without evidence..
don't mix this up with defending racism..
yes he was abusive and admitted being wrong but that is not the same thing...as for the sacking.....well there you go again..judge,jury,executioner...

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Let's not not put this one in any confusion you don't have to be a professional lip reader to see exactly what he said, I can't believe people are doubting it or even second guessing. :oops:

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:15 pm

“seeing what he said”.

Wtf is that?