Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Politics and race in football

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:41 pm

I turned on "football focus " today stupidly expecting that they'd be talking about football.
No. They were banging on about racism again.

If we haven't got Gary Lineker campaigning against Brexit we've got very rich ,but not necessarily intelligent footballers bemoaning what they consider to be hidden attitudes about race on the part of un named individuals in general society.

I tend to classify this as similar to lots of people who go on about being "working class " and feel agreived about what they imagine others think about them because of that. They'll tell you that they'd be spurned by influencial or wealthy people if they dealt with them , which hasn't been my experience actually, and see obstacles everywhere which are largely in their own minds.

Be that as it may , my point is that if I were keen on listening to people recycling identity politics and virtue signalling about their affinity with every different group of people in the world, then there are plenty of programmes I could watch and endless meetings I could attend at the expense of the ratepayer.

If anyone were being badly treated in some significant way, I'd be the first to object , but actually I'm afraid that when I see some of the things which go on in the world and recall some of the substantive race conflicts of the past , I find it hard to get too upset if a footballer earning £150K a week feels hurt by some unspoken and hidden attitudes which he imagines people might have about him even if they don't say so.

It's a sign of stupidity to think that you know what other people have in their minds, and it's a sign of mental illness to project your own imagination into someone else's mind then get annoyed with them about that instead of yourself.

Is it any longer possible to just enjoy the game of football,which actually tends to unite different groups and create new friendship between them, or must it degenerate like virtually every other aspect of human society into a reason for people to feel personally victimised without any real reason and try to make everyone else feel guilty about that ?

Re: Politics and race in football

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Typical BBC really. More interested in forcing their agenda on people rather than the actual purpose of their programmes. Why show football on a football programme when you can discuss politics instead.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:35 pm

I believe racism is not a problem in football. The problem lay with those who have a vested interest in the race industry talking up the problem so they can either keep their well paid jobs or they can blame others for their own failures.

Finally if someone makes a false allegation of racism then it is about time they were dealt with in the criminal courts. It is similar to women falsely claim rape. Being wrongly tagged as a rapist or racist has devastating consequences for those who are wrongly accused and the public needs to be protected from such spiteful people.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I don't think Racism is as big a problem as they make out in football. But it does happen in football and no ones say nothing (me included in this one), the number of times I've been on a coach to an away match, typically London, and I hear stinking p**is and it's like spot the white person and that's just with Cardiff.

As for the papers and media, I think social media has a big part to the way players are treated these days and the stupid amount of the money that they're paid. But I can see where Sterling is coming from especially with the two articles that he's posted.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I believe racism is not a problem in football. The problem lay with those who have a vested interest in the race industry talking up the problem so they can either keep their well paid jobs or they can blame others for their own failures.

Finally if someone makes a false allegation of racism then it is about time they were dealt with in the criminal courts. It is similar to women falsely claim rape. Being wrongly tagged as a rapist or racist has devastating consequences for those who are wrongly accused and the public needs to be protected from such spiteful people.

Kick it out and the like have a vested interest in exaggerating racial divide, as you say many do very well from it.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:34 pm

What an intelligent and well expressed series of posts !
It's fantastic and uplifting to know that we've got a few members here with an IQ above room temperature !

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm

I logged on "this football site " today stupidly expecting that they'd be talking about football.

:laughing6: :laughing6:

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:35 pm

I watched that Debate programme when Sol bamba was on there and you had Danny Murphy talking about calling a player a beast years ago. Ruud Gullit was his fellow pundit and asked Murphy if he's ever described a white player as a beast. Murphy said he no longer uses the word beast anymore for fear of racism.

Lukaku being called lazy was also discussed as wrong because the word lazy is disrespectful to the history of how black people used to be treated. I guess that's the end to us all calling Kenneth Zohore lazy then.

I just think it's going so over the top with us being told what we can and what we can't say. Racism is 100% wrong, but twisting it to say we can't call anyone lazy anymore is ridiculous. We will start running out of words to use because they are finding a way to link so many words we innocently use as being disrespectful to black people now.

The lack of black managers were discussed, although they then went on to reveal Sol Campbell has a history of not interviewing very well. Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry have had no problems getting managerial jobs. Maybe there just aren't enough black managers up to standard in the UK at the moment?

Why have the Phillipines national team hired Sven Goran Eriksson as their manager? Is Phillipines being racist against its own people employing a white manager, or is it simply because a white manager was the best candidate at the time? Why do other black nations employ white managers for their countries?

There was outrage over no black actors being nominated for the Oscars, despite there being several black Oscar winners in previous years. Maybe there just weren't any good enough black actors throughout that year to warrant getting nominated?

Regarding Raheem Sterling, it's of course 100% wrong what he's had to put up with from those Chelsea fans, but he hasn't done himself any favours over the years gloating about all the money he's earning and the expensive houses, cars etc he's bought. His gloating antagonises the ordinary person (black or white). Raheem Sterling's behaviour over the years has made him unpopular and therefore, an easy target.

However, it seems perfectly acceptable for English people to racially abuse Welsh people and there are instances where black people know they are now in a position of power knowing they can push boundaries and get away with it. There are racism claims which are unreasonable and over the top. In my opinion, these unreasonable false racism claims by black people trying it on, in an attempt to gain further privileges/power is antagonistic to white people and creates further divisions.

Ideally, every black and white person would respect each other and get on with life together in a civil manner. Racism works both ways. It happens to white people as well. The only difference is a white person is scared to say something about it as black people are always considered the victims, and this is what triggers racism in the first place in my opinion.

If we treated each other equally, behave reasonably to each other, respect each other and work together, we could unite together and tackle racism. I don't think playing the victim, playing the system and pushing agendas will ever make racism go away, as this just creates the divisions we currently experience in life, which I think is the cause of racism in the first place.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:51 pm

GENERAL CHAT wrote:I logged on "this football site " today stupidly expecting that they'd be talking about football.

:lol: :lol:

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:59 pm

I also had the misfortune to tune in. Took me a few minutes to realise it wasn’t Question Time.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:27 pm

GENERAL CHAT wrote:I logged on "this football site " today stupidly expecting that they'd be talking about football.

Not true though, is it ?
You had to deliberately choose and click on a thing which says " Politics and Race in football "

- doesn't work as a smart arse comment at all !

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I watched that Debate programme when Sol bamba was on there and you had Danny Murphy talking about calling a player a beast years ago. Ruud Gullit was his fellow pundit and asked Murphy if he's ever described a white player as a beast. Murphy said he no longer uses the word beast anymore for fear of racism.

Lukaku being called lazy was also discussed as wrong because the word lazy is disrespectful to the history of how black people used to be treated. I guess that's the end to us all calling Kenneth Zohore lazy then.

I just think it's going so over the top with us being told what we can and what we can't say. Racism is 100% wrong, but twisting it to say we can't call anyone lazy anymore is ridiculous. We will start running out of words to use because they are finding a way to link so many words we innocently use as being disrespectful to black people now.

The lack of black managers were discussed, although they then went on to reveal Sol Campbell has a history of not interviewing very well. Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry have had no problems getting managerial jobs. Maybe there just aren't enough black managers up to standard in the UK at the moment?

Why have the Phillipines national team hired Sven Goran Eriksson as their manager? Is Phillipines being racist against its own people employing a white manager, or is it simply because a white manager was the best candidate at the time? Why do other black nations employ white managers for their countries?

There was outrage over no black actors being nominated for the Oscars, despite there being several black Oscar winners in previous years. Maybe there just weren't any good enough black actors throughout that year to warrant getting nominated?

Regarding Raheem Sterling, it's of course 100% wrong what he's had to put up with from those Chelsea fans, but he hasn't done himself any favours over the years gloating about all the money he's earning and the expensive houses, cars etc he's bought. His gloating antagonises the ordinary person (black or white). Raheem Sterling's behaviour over the years has made him unpopular and therefore, an easy target.

However, it seems perfectly acceptable for English people to racially abuse Welsh people and there are instances where black people know they are now in a position of power knowing they can push boundaries and get away with it. There are racism claims which are unreasonable and over the top. In my opinion, these unreasonable false racism claims by black people trying it on, in an attempt to gain further privileges/power is antagonistic to white people and creates further divisions.

Ideally, every black and white person would respect each other and get on with life together in a civil manner. Racism works both ways. It happens to white people as well. The only difference is a white person is scared to say something about it as black people are always considered the victims, and this is what triggers racism in the first place in my opinion.

If we treated each other equally, behave reasonably to each other, respect each other and work together, we could unite together and tackle racism. I don't think playing the victim, playing the system and pushing agendas will ever make racism go away, as this just creates the divisions we currently experience in life, which I think is the cause of racism in the first place.

I’ve never associated a black person as a beast as I train/teach lots of beasts in Krav Maga and they are all colours. Sad world we live in now .Snowflakes everywhere

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Ha ha, excellent! :thumbup:

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:58 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Not true though, is it ?
You had to deliberately choose and click on a thing which says " Politics and Race in football "

Sorry, but to some, it seems to be. :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Never mind eh. :D :wave:

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:27 am

GENERAL CHAT wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Not true though, is it ?

Sorry, but to some, it seems to be. :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Never mind eh. :D :wave:

Not many. I think you'd find these are the people who've written a note to Santa and keep up with geo politics by watching the "One" Show.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:42 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:What an intelligent and well expressed series of posts !
It's fantastic and uplifting to know that we've got a few members here with an IQ above room temperature !

Room temperature is approx 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

68 on the IQ scale is Mild Mental Retardation. It is a little harsh to say that all but a few on this board attain this level.

I appreciate that this is an IQ Level that you can only dream of, however, maybe intelligence levels in not a subject to which you have much to contribute?

how about that for a smart arse comment?

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:58 am

"Intelligence is not your IQ" some bloke once said..

Name escapes me... rhymes with Dorking or something like that..

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:45 am

Dave67 wrote:

68 on the IQ scale is Mild Mental Retardation. It is a little harsh to say that all but a few on this board attain this level.

I appreciate that this is an IQ Level that you can only dream of, however, maybe intelligence levels in not a subject to which you have much to contribute?

I thought that he knew its 68 and the remark was aimed at your twin 66 ,for that reason..

the trumpton twins :lol:

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:36 am

Dave67 wrote:

Great response Dave :thumbup:

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:10 am

Racism has been constantly stoked by the establishment for years for there own agendas when in truth there isn’t any of any note. Players complaining of racism all the time it pisses you off when Jack Johnson in America suffered true horrendous racism. I’m glad that is no longer tolerated or done

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:17 am

[/quote]Great response Dave :thumbup:[/quote]

Great is usually conferred where some outstanding or exceptional feat has been achieved.

Schoolboy retorts don’t cut it somehow.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Brilliant :laughing5:

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Dave67 wrote:

Agree. A great response to a self opinionated prick of a poster.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:32 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Dave67 wrote:

Too true OGB

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 am

City Slicker wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Dave67 wrote:

Too true OGB

You’re spot on as per usual Slicker.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 am

City Slicker wrote:
Dave67 wrote:

:laughing5:

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:10 pm

I can’t believe how ignorant people on this thread are. Racism not a problem in football? Two players have been racially abused in the past few weeks and people have to cheek to complain about this issue being talked about? The reason racism has been and still is part of football is because people brush it under the rug and pretend that it doesn’t happen. When it is addressed people are accused of ‘pushing an agenda’ are you people that naive or simply obtuse. No, probably complicit in such vulgar beliefs and ideologies. You’re telling me nobody has ever heard any form of racism at football, I most definately have not attended as many games as probably most on here but I have undoubtably heard racism whilst following Cardiff, be it in the stands and even on coaches attending away games.

And regarding politics I can’t remember Gary Lineker discussing any on tv. If he wishes it discuss it on social media then that’s up to him. The elite and people in power always try to ostracise those talking about politics because they don’t want people like us (working class/joe bloggs) getting involved and voting. I don’t think people realise how dull they sound when they regurgitate such nonsense that is being used against them.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I watched that Debate programme when Sol bamba was on there and you had Danny Murphy talking about calling a player a beast years ago. Ruud Gullit was his fellow pundit and asked Murphy if he's ever described a white player as a beast. Murphy said he no longer uses the word beast anymore for fear of racism.

You think Raheem Stirling’s racist abuse is brought upon himself ? When have you ever see sterling brag about flashy cars and jewellery, it’s the media that post and share these things because they have nothing better to report on. It kills some English fans knowing that one of their best players is black. You’re being force fed racism in these vile newspaper, you think sterling wants to plastered across newspapers every time he buys a new car or home ?

I bet you believe Muslims want Christmas banned too ?

You’re being told these lies and lap it up, doing exactly what these newspapers want you to do, vilify and hate those (believe it or not) similar to you. It takes the load of those in power when people direct their frustrations at those with no power and no voice.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:54 am

Dave67 wrote:

Well... a bit poor, but you're trying and that's good .
Oddly, I didn't mean it literally, but since you raise the matter, how can you define room temperature ? I'd have thought that it was a variable thing, although I'm sure someone has posted their idea of what it means on the internet somewhere to help mildly retarded people understand the concept.
I've got a very high IQ actually, so if you want me to contribute to the subject I expect I'd manage to do that. Why don't you start a thread on the subject ?

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:19 am

J-Bluebird wrote:I can’t believe how ignorant people on this thread are. Racism not a problem in football? Two players have been racially abused in the past few weeks and people have to cheek to complain about this issue being talked about? The reason racism has been and still is part of football is because people brush it under the rug and pretend that it doesn’t happen. When it is addressed people are accused of ‘pushing an agenda’ are you people that naive or simply obtuse. No, probably complicit in such vulgar beliefs and ideologies. You’re telling me nobody has ever heard any form of racism at football, I most definately have not attended as many games as probably most on here but I have undoubtably heard racism whilst following Cardiff, be it in the stands and even on coaches attending away games.

And regarding politics I can’t remember Gary Lineker discussing any on tv. If he wishes it discuss it on social media then that’s up to him. The elite and people in power always try to ostracise those talking about politics because they don’t want people like us (working class/joe bloggs) getting involved and voting. I don’t think people realise how dull they sound when they regurgitate such nonsense that is being used against them.

That post is a bit mixed up really, but I think i get the general sentiment . Thing is though that a lot of people don't watch football for the racism , or to scrutinise the state of society through football.
I don't know why you denigrate yourself with this "working class " label, still less why you include me or anyone else in it. Since you raise the point though, it's probably the other way around- the political classes absolutely love as many people as possible talking about politics because it gives them credibility and produces nothing more dangerous than hot air. They wouldn't like it if people understood what they were talking about upon the subject of course, but there's not much chance of that happening is there ?
The BBC Charter prohibits anyone from being employed as a presenter and politically campaigning at the same time. At least one local BBC reporter has been sacked under this rule for attending a "Leave" meeting before the referrendum. Gary Lineker is a very high earning poster boy of the establishment though, ( rather than a "working class/Joe blogs " type as you put it), and it's for this reason that he's above the rules of the corporation.

Apparently you feel strongly about racism. Well, good for you, but I don't know why you think this general rebuke should be inflicted on everyone who watches football because some people who also watch football apparently disagree with you.
If you're honest with yourself, aren't you just virtue signalling a bit.