Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How can we change our away form?

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Personally, against most teams I would like to see the team set up a bit more offensively. I think that we must have PACE going forward and ensure pace players track back. I accept that against the top teams We are unlikely to get much whatever our set up. But presently what We do is not working. We are not good enough to go away defend well and get a draw or Nick a goal because we don't keep clean sheets.
At present we have one away point out of 8 (?) Away games. And that point was against all of Huddersfield team that were reduced to 10 men.

The second half of our season we are away more than home.....We won't stay up on home form alone. We need to win a couple away from home.
What do you think? :bluebird:

Re: How can we change our away form?

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:46 pm

I think if we set up more attacking away from home we might get some batterings.

But today’s insipid display until 80 minutes I’d prefer that.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Change of mentality and tactics away are needed

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Lengee wrote:Personally, against most teams I would like to see the team set up a bit more offensively. I think that we must have PACE going forward and ensure pace players track back. I accept that against the top teams We are unlikely to get much whatever our set up. But presently what We do is not working. We are not good enough to go away defend well and get a draw or Nick a goal because we don't keep clean sheets.
At present we have one away point out of 8 (?) Away games. And that point was against all of Huddersfield team that were reduced to 10 men.

The second half of our season we are away more than home.....We won't stay up on home form alone. We need to win a couple away from home.
What do you think? :bluebird:

Easy by not setting up for a draw all the time. Have some balls and go for it.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Defend better!

Re: How can we change our away form? More investment

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:09 pm

My suggestion: get the Sultan of Brunei one of the richest men in the world and a friend of Mr. Tan’s to join the board. Recruit young manager from the Spanish or French leagues to work under Warnock who is made the director of football.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 pm

That’s right. The day is drawing near when Tan must either spend, or sell the club. The Sultan would love one of those heated seats, a night out in Minskys, and on to Caroline St..

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:52 pm

He has been backed but pissed away 30 million

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:58 pm

DEANO wrote:He has been backed but pissed away 30 million

Hardly

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm

Three, words come to mind ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:59 pm

Need a striker to take our chances

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:17 pm

In a nutshell, I think if something is not working we need to look at a different system. One point away from home all year! I am not saying be gung ho but at least show an intent and threaten. Ok sometimes we may concede more goals, but today we could easily have lost by 4 clear goals
(6-2) and not complained much. So could a more positive formation have done much worse.
For Neil Warnock to try to blame the ref is, quite frankly, ridiculous. The goals at the end have put a gloss on a very poor display. But they also showed that Watford were there to be beaten. It was their first win in 6 or 7.
:thumbup: :bluebird:

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:22 pm

maccydee wrote:

Hardly

Almost

Tomlin
Madine
Cunningham
Smithies
Reid (rarely starts -lightweight)
Murphy (ok in parts of games - fades badly)

That's more than £30m for players none of whom are regular first teamers and none of whom have shown themselves to be Premier League quality.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Easy

Actually go out and try win the game.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:17 pm

davids wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Hardly

Almost

Tomlin
Madine
Cunningham
Smithies
Reid (rarely starts -lightweight)
Murphy (ok in parts of games - fades badly)

That's more than £30m for players none of whom are regular first teamers and none of whom have shown themselves to be Premier League quality.

While I agree he hasn't spent well in key areas that's nonsense. Murphy has been excellent and Medine only cost 6m because we got promotion. Reid has been the poor one simply because he doesn't fit.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:25 pm

wez1927 wrote:Need a striker to take our chances

Obviously haven’t watched many away games we don’t create many chances. Only way to improve is to press higher up the pitch like we do at home instead of setting up so defensively and letting teams pass it around on the edge of our box with 10 players behind the ball.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:56 pm

phildavies wrote:

Obviously haven’t watched many away games we don’t create many chances. Only way to improve is to press higher up the pitch like we do at home instead of setting up so defensively and letting teams pass it around on the edge of our box with 10 players behind the ball.

Hit and hope won't work.

Let's be honest would a quality striker want to play in this team.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:13 am

phildavies wrote:

Quite right :occasion5: we need to get away from the idea,as neil himself said"we hoped to frustrate them for 60 minutes,and then have a go at them" then why wait to be two or three goals down? Teams are being allowed to swarm forward, because they have sussed how we set up away from home,change it a little neil and sucker it and see I say. :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:14 am

bluesince62 wrote:
phildavies wrote:

Quite right :occasion5: we need to get away from the idea,as neil himself said"we hoped to frustrate them for 60 minutes,and then have a go at them" then why wait to be two or three goals down? Teams are being allowed to swarm forward, because they have sussed how we set up away from home,change it a little neil and sucker it and see I say. :ayatollah:

Suck for sucker :laughing5:

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:10 am

Hypnotise the players before the start of the game in thinking we're already 3-0 down, this way we will start playing from kick off.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:07 am

rumpo kid wrote:That’s right. The day is drawing near when Tan must either spend, or sell the club. The Sultan would love one of those heated seats, a night out in Minskys, and on to Caroline St..

He really wouldn't you know

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:22 am

Some frankly naive and stupid comments here.
No point in even addressing the half witted tactics being suggested by some. Anyone who thinks they've got more knowledge and experience of football than the manager should submit their CV to the club, but in the mean time try to grasp the fact that he's achieving fantastic results with such limited rescources that most top managers wouldn't even attempt it.

Obviously we're experiencing a difficulty with away games but then we've gradually addressed and overcome a number of problems and no doubt we'll eventually work this one out . It won't happen overnight, but regard it as part of growing up and being British. I'm optimistic that the pieces will eventually all click into place because so far we've transformed from a very rag tag bunch being outclassed by every comer into a team which can compete with anyone in the premiership without disgracing itself.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:40 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Some frankly naive and stupid comments here.
No point in even addressing the half witted tactics being suggested by some. Anyone who thinks they've got more knowledge and experience of football than the manager should submit their CV to the club, but in the mean time try to grasp the fact that he's achieving fantastic results with such limited rescources that most top managers wouldn't even attempt it.

Obviously we're experiencing a difficulty with away games but then we've gradually addressed and overcome a number of problems and no doubt we'll eventually work this one out . It won't happen overnight, but regard it as part of growing up and being British. I'm optimistic that the pieces will eventually all click into place because so far we've transformed from a very rag tag bunch being outclassed by every comer into a team which can compete with anyone in the premiership without disgracing itself.

Well said.

The same people would Be here kicking off if we were attacking away from home and getting pumped each week.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:32 am

We're getting pumped anyway so what's the difference

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:42 am

Lengee wrote:In a nutshell, I think if something is not working we need to look at a different system. One point away from home all year! I am not saying be gung ho but at least show an intent and threaten. Ok sometimes we may concede more goals, but today we could easily have lost by 4 clear goals
(6-2) and not complained much. So could a more positive formation have done much worse.
For Neil Warnock to try to blame the ref is, quite frankly, ridiculous. The goals at the end have put a gloss on a very poor display. But they also showed that Watford were there to be beaten. It was their first win in 6 or 7.
:thumbup: :bluebird:

That’s the point and it’s spot on , we set up not to conceded and be compact but we’re not very good at doing it , conceding possession all the time with wave upon wave of opposition possession and pressure before we eventually conceded. , we need to be a lot more positive and give the opposition something to think about and have a go at them

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:45 am

Blue print or away? ?

3 centre backs
Patterson to RWB
New CF
New DCM to bring on to help our run ragged midfielders
Dont play Murphy(too weak and raw at the moment ) is time will come

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 am

maccydee wrote:

Well said.

The same people would Be here kicking off if we were attacking away from home and getting pumped each week.

I read a lot of opinions on here concerning the lack of money available to Warnock during the Summer, and as a result the general opinion seemed to be that if we could hang on to those teams who, like us, would be in a big relegation fight, hopefully we could strengthen in the January window and progress from there. Many posters were worried that by January we would be too far adrift at the bottom, and that relegation would be almost impossible to avoid. That is not going to happen. Thanks to Warnock and the team, we will still be in touch with those around us, and if we can attract a bit of talent to the club, it is possible that we may still be able to play PL football next season. Not easy, but we are still on track and plenty of ups and downs to come yet.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Change the way we play would help because I think letting opposition have plenty of ball means when it comes to defending situations we do not mark opposition tight enough most of goals conceded wether be dead ball or open play opposition seem to have all space required while we don't in same situation..

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Well said.

I read a lot of opinions on here concerning the lack of money available to Warnock during the Summer, and as a result the general opinion seemed to be that if we could hang on to those teams who, like us, would be in a big relegation fight, hopefully we could strengthen in the January window and progress from there. Many posters were worried that by January we would be too far adrift at the bottom, and that relegation would be almost impossible to avoid. That is not going to happen. Thanks to Warnock and the team, we will still be in touch with those around us, and if we can attract a bit of talent to the club, it is possible that we may still be able to play PL football next season. Not easy, but we are still on track and plenty of ups and downs to come yet.

I really don't see a problem. It's in our hands and so long as we continue to progress - consolidate - progress a bit more , there's no reason w can't be comfortable by the end of the season. This is very much as I saw it going, because unlike some people here, I never expected to go from playing Brentford to playing Manchester City in one easy stage. I certainly did expect an ajustment period, as I've consistently said , and that's what's happening. We're no longer a push over for anyone and we're increasingly getting a few results. That's solid progress and it's happening at a rate which, if it continues at the same rate, will see us quite safe in the division.
Remember, though, this achievement is not nothing. It's a very hard thing to go up so far and match the standard of these great teams - we've done a lot so far but there's obviously more to do, which is perfectly okay because we can see that the boys are doing it , always going in the right direction generally and if there are a few cock ups and setbacks along the way ,well that's to be expected .

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:27 pm

A new holding player is key. Gunnars was totally exposed by Deulofeu , who hasn't even been a regular starter for Watford. Ampadu on loan would be good, but ideally someone with experience like Allen.