Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

As superb as Etheridge was today

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Kicking is an issue and I wish we could play from the back a lot more.....I’m guessing he is told to pump the ball up but we look comfortable passing so play from the back...... but again taking nothing away from him today he was superb and kept is well and truly in the game....my man of the match... :ayatollah:

Re: As superb as Etheridge was today

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Krabb, you just hung him, unbelievable.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:15 pm

It's honestly no exaggeration to say that without him we would have conceded 8 goals today.

As soon as he has the ball ALL of our players immediately turn their back on him and walk away up the field.Not one of them goes wide or comes short looking for the ball to start play from the back.

This instruction must come from the manager - it's clear that the players are being told that when the keeper has the ball he has to kick it as hard and as far as he possibly can and he is not to play the ball short.

Would much prefer a brilliant goalkeeper who's kicking needs improving than a great kicker who can't save the ball.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:09 pm

We are direct, I'm sure Etheridge would love to roll it to a CB and play from the back, it's not us thought. If we started to play like that we would drop massively.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:08 am

krabb wrote:Kicking is an issue and I wish we could play from the back a lot more.....I’m guessing he is told to pump the ball up but we look comfortable passing so play from the back...... but again taking nothing away from him today he was superb and kept is well and truly in the game....my man of the match... :ayatollah:

Krabb by name and Krabb by nature
:(

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:02 am

I agree that Etheridge was by far our man of the match. Without him it would have been 7. as fir us playing it out from the back come off it we can't pass the ball anywhere on the pitch. We are a lump it forward team. The player I felt sorry for was Patterson, what a thankless job, even he looked as if he wanted to give up and that is not him. This was our worst performance of the season by a country mile. We have to change our style of play to survive.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:38 am

His kicking has been a problem since day one, to be fair, but he’s improved it. Brilliant shot stopper, which is the modern day ‘keeper, but I do wish he wouldn’t push the ball across the 6 yard box so often when he makes some of those saves - hasn’t cost us goals previously, and could have yesterday too.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:34 am

davids wrote:It's honestly no exaggeration to say that without him we would have conceded 8 goals today.

As soon as he has the ball ALL of our players immediately turn their back on him and walk away up the field.Not one of them goes wide or comes short looking for the ball to start play from the back.

This instruction must come from the manager - it's clear that the players are being told that when the keeper has the ball he has to kick it as hard and as far as he possibly can and he is not to play the ball short.

Would much prefer a brilliant goalkeeper who's kicking needs improving than a great kicker who can't save the ball.

Good Post mate, agree with all that.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:05 pm

For those that had a go about this post....read what warnock said about Etheridge...... his kicking needs to improve ....some of you just don’t get it... :ayatollah: