Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Worst performance of the season.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:24 am

This was the worst performance of the season without a doubt. Etheridge was brilliant. Our defence was non existant, Manga was useless he was being drawn into his natural position of centre back and needs to be replaced with a real full back, it is no good saying he is not a full back and keep playing there. Our midfield were clueless which resulted in our forwards having no ball and no chance. Murphy is so weak on the ball I cannot see him making it in the Premier League. We need a midfield dynamo who can control a game and a centre forward who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. I hate to say this but it is our management who dictate our style of play and they must take responsibility and it is they who must initiate the changes needed. Going by our recent purchases I am not confident to give them the money to spend in the transfer market. Madine, Murphy, Reid all big money all struggling to get into a mediocre team.

Re: Worst performance of the season.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:02 am

Bluesman wrote:This was the worst performance of the season without a doubt. Etheridge was brilliant. Our defence was non existant, Manga was useless he was being drawn into his natural position of centre back and needs to be replaced with a real full back, it is no good saying he is not a full back and keep playing there. Our midfield were clueless which resulted in our forwards having no ball and no chance. Murphy is so weak on the ball I cannot see him making it in the Premier League. We need a midfield dynamo who can control a game and a centre forward who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. I hate to say this but it is our management who dictate our style of play and they must take responsibility and it is they who must initiate the changes needed. Going by our recent purchases I am not confident to give them the money to spend in the transfer market. Madine, Murphy, Reid all big money all struggling to get into a mediocre team.

They were fantastic last week :banghead:

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:36 am

Fantastic against Southampton. what game were you watching. We fluked a goal and won 1:0 WOW.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Go and support the Jacks mate ffs.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Go and support the Jacks mate ffs.

I'm not sure if you went to the game yesterday or not but everything the OP said in his initial post was absolutely spot on.

It's no use pretending that performance was anything less than completely sub-standard. Yes Watford were much better than we were and yes in the last 10 minutes of the game we gave them a bit of a fright but the gulf in class was staggering,

This is Watford we are talking about - a solid Premier League team but not exactly Man City. They had not won in the last six games but they put the game beyond us without getting out of second gear.

We've got fighters and we've got battlers but we've got nowhere near enough talent or ability and the tactics employed in away games as explained by the manager "Hope to hold them for 60 minutes then hit them on the break" are proving fruitless time and time again away from home yet still we persist with them.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:26 pm

I was at the Watford game and I have to say I don't disagree that that was our worst performance of the season for me. For 70 mins we were shocking. No energy, lack of desire, didn't put any pressure on their midfield let alone their defence, and couldn't string more than 2 passes together. However after we got the first goal we seemed to show some fight and energy shame we didn't show that in the first 70 mins of the game. Thought every one of them was garbage apart from Etheridge, Bamba and Paterson who was the only offensive player to show any hunger on the pitch for the full 90 mins.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:09 pm

But surely as fans you understand and can see it is what it is, we don’t have that quality it is what it is and it’s a bloody miracle we have won 4 out 5? Or is it great motivation, never say die attitude and fantastic support. I don’t get the complaints, we have a good team with quality but the other sides are years ahead of us. Its like being the 10 th slowest person having a race then bemused why you finished 10th.

Also need to remember who we have played away.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Davids, I was at the game, and maybe it's just what I have seen over many many years of SUPPORTING the City, you need to wake up and smell the coffee, we are what we are.If we had got a equaliser you wouldn't be bumping your gums. This season is about survival in one of the toughest leagues in the world. ffs get behind the lads and stop whinging like your some kind of expert. Remember Slade? and that's not here it is Merry Christmas.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Davids, I was at the game, and maybe it's just what I have seen over many many years of SUPPORTING the City, you need to wake up and smell the coffee, we are what we are.If we had got a equaliser you wouldn't be bumping your gums. This season is about survival in one of the toughest leagues in the world. ffs get behind the lads and stop whinging like your some kind of expert. Remember Slade? and that's not here it is Merry Christmas.

Exactly, and saying it’s juat Watford tells you what some fans think. It’s only Bournemouth was the other quote, yep that team who were always below us!! No that established premiership team who play good football and have a decent home record.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:28 am

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Davids, I was at the game, and maybe it's just what I have seen over many many years of SUPPORTING the City, you need to wake up and smell the coffee, we are what we are.If we had got a equaliser you wouldn't be bumping your gums. This season is about survival in one of the toughest leagues in the world. ffs get behind the lads and stop whinging like your some kind of expert. Remember Slade? and that's not here it is Merry Christmas.

No you're wrong, If we'd got an equaliser I still would have thought it was our worst performance of the season. I don't go to every game home and away to do anything other than SUPPORT the City but that doesn't mean I have to jump up and down clapping happily when I think we could be doing better.

Are we happy just to be in the league or are we going to try to compete with these teams? If we accept that Watford and Bournemouth are established teams who play good football and have good home records, let's just give them the three points and not bother turning up,

Yeah, please accept my apologies. I should just go to every game, sing and cheer, clap the players off and not give a f**k if we've won, lost or drawn and have absolutely no opinion on how we've played. Who cares if we play well or badly eh?

Let's not dare criticise the team or the management at any time or for any reason or we're not proper "supporters" who get behind the lads without questioning anything.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:37 am

Davids, I don't see you on here whinging when we win, so I believe that you just spread negativity, and I think as supporters of a club which has had some very desperate times, this is a season to put your wonderful knowledge on the game to one side, and yes back the team with all our might, make the ground a fortress, encourage. I do know enough about the game to recognise all is not great, but have waited long enough to see the Liverpools and Man Uniteds and therefore will be enjoying the helter scelter journey as that is what you sign up for as a City SUPPORTER me.

!

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:46 am

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Davids, I don't see you on here whinging when we win, so I believe that you just spread negativity, and I think as supporters of a club which has had some very desperate times, this is a season to put your wonderful knowledge on the game to one side, and yes back the team with all our might, make the ground a fortress, encourage. I do know enough about the game to recognise all is not great, but have waited long enough to see the Liverpools and Man Uniteds and therefore will be enjoying the helter scelter journey as that is what you sign up for as a City SUPPORTER me.

Why would I be whingeing when we win? :?:

So you believe that if we play poorly in a game no mention should be made of it because it breeds negativity? If I came on here after the game and said how brilliant we were and how unlucky we were to lose by just one goal and how we matched them all over the pitch would you have been happier then? Would that have proven to you what a great supporter I am as opposed to the whinger you think I am.

I actually think we are doing really well this season - as I mentioned in my first post we have a team of fighters and battlers who absolutely deserve our full support throughout the season. I also think that we could and maybe should be doing even better than we are and if you're looking for negativity just look at some of the things our manager has had to say about the quality of our players in the media!

I am just saying it as I see it - that's what a forum is for isn't it? :thumbup:

I don't pretend to have any more or less knowledge than anybody else - we all see the game differently and it whilst there would be no point being constantly negative just supporting blindly without seeing any problems to me is just as daft.

By the way, Mel Sutton was one of my favourite players when I started going down to games in the early 1970's :thumbup:

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:26 pm

davids wrote:

No you're wrong, If we'd got an equaliser I still would have thought it was our worst performance of the season. I don't go to every game home and away to do anything other than SUPPORT the City but that doesn't mean I have to jump up and down clapping happily when I think we could be doing better.

Are we happy just to be in the league or are we going to try to compete with these teams? If we accept that Watford and Bournemouth are established teams who play good football and have good home records, let's just give them the three points and not bother turning up,

Yeah, please accept my apologies. I should just go to every game, sing and cheer, clap the players off and not give a f**k if we've won, lost or drawn and have absolutely no opinion on how we've played. Who cares if we play well or badly eh?

Let's not dare criticise the team or the management at any time or for any reason or we're not proper "supporters" who get behind the lads without questioning anything.

lets just give them the 3 points is exactly what your implying though..

it doesnt work every game but generally this staying in the game and then try to pinch points at the end is as good as it gets...ok we havent pinched points but no one else down the bottom has either..the general consensus within football was that we were one of if not the weakest squad to get promoted add to this lack of spending and our lower wages and then conclude that only if the manager would change tactics we would be doing better is expecting far too much..and tbh a bit insulting to the group ,players/manager/ coaching staff who must be working their socks off planning and carrying out a strategy to contain and frustrate better opponents

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Davids, we are all in this together and I note good points from dogfound poster. Our players are running through brickwalls for us, appreciate our unconditional support by the way they acknowledge us after every game.Warnock is by far the best manager for us under the circumstances we are in. Our job is to push them over the line. Our support is being talked about in the media as the best in the league at the moment, I'm proud of that mate, cos I contribute big time and get frustrated at people who can't be bothered, prawn cocktail brigade. Just look at the Leeds fans, outstanding for me. Our away support is fantastic and yeah we maybe three down but we ain't gonna be silenced. The Mel Sutton attitude for me, this my user name mate, glad you remember him. Peace out.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Why do people criticize people who are stating what was obvious to everyone who was there on Saturday including myself. We were terrible. We hardly put a tackle in all game and if it wasn't for Etheridge and a very unlikely comeback we would have been embarrassed. No one is saying we should win at places like Watford - they are a decent side. But they hadn't won for six games and yet we made them look like Man City at their best. Its wasn't the loss, it was the manner of it that was worrying.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:02 pm

dogfound wrote:
davids wrote:

lets just give them the 3 points is exactly what your implying though..

it doesnt work every game but generally this staying in the game and then try to pinch points at the end is as good as it gets...ok we havent pinched points but no one else down the bottom has either..the general consensus within football was that we were one of if not the weakest squad to get promoted add to this lack of spending and our lower wages and then conclude that only if the manager would change tactics we would be doing better is expecting far too much..and tbh a bit insulting to the group ,players/manager/ coaching staff who must be working their socks off planning and carrying out a strategy to contain and frustrate better opponents

No it's really not what I'm implying.

What I'm trying to get at is that the way we are currently approaching away games isn't working because we are leaking goals and we are getting comprehensively outplayed by all our opponents in away games.

The strategy we are using isn't working so why not try a different approach? Do we just accept that every team we play away are better than us so we should just sit back and let them have the ball right up to the edge of our box without putting them under any pressure? Then hope we can stay in the game as long as possible and try to nick something at the end?

My point is that this approach clearly isn't working and if we persist with it it's difficult to see how we can get any positive results away from home. We don't play that way at home so why do we play that way away from home? Perhaps change it up a bit and see if things improve. They may not but at least give it a go.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:17 pm

JJ1927, obvious if you read and have some understanding of the thread really. Yes it's a forum, and if people want to come on and critisize then great. That's easy to do. We as fans need to be positive.I try to forge an understanding to such critics of where we have come from and the situation we are in. We are the lowest spenders and favourites to go down. We have enough external critics without internal.Man U have spent 400 million and couldn't lay a glove on Liverpool, sums it up for me.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:JJ1927, obvious if you read and have some understanding of the thread really. Yes it's a forum, and if people want to come on and critisize then great. That's easy to do. We as fans need to be positive.I try to forge an understanding to such critics of where we have come from and the situation we are in. We are the lowest spenders and favourites to go down. We have enough external critics without internal.Man U have spent 400 million and couldn't lay a glove on Liverpool, sums it up for me.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:JJ1927, obvious if you read and have some understanding of the thread really. Yes it's a forum, and if people want to come on and critisize then great. That's easy to do. We as fans need to be positive.I try to forge an understanding to such critics of where we have come from and the situation we are in. We are the lowest spenders and favourites to go down. We have enough external critics without internal.Man U have spent 400 million and couldn't lay a glove on Liverpool, sums it up for me.

If you cant have a bloody moan after spending eight hours on the road another two hours freezing and occasionally getting wet watching what was undoubtedly our worst performance of the season without being castigated as some sort of closet Jack then god help this forum.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:46 pm

I don't get why people are reflecting on the performance, we lost and got a -1 goal difference for it, that is a bonus as it could have been worse can't sit here and reflect on this game.. this league doesn't give any time for reflection if your a team like us.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:01 pm

JJ1927, maybe if youd been to Scarborough, Halifax, Rochdale, Doncaster, Darlington etc etc, with no real future expectations you might see things in a different light, as I do. Sorry for the castigation, but as it's a forum, I thought I put my input in.Keeping the Faith and I got soaked by the way.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 pm

JJ1927 wrote:Why do people criticize people who are stating what was obvious to everyone who was there on Saturday including myself. We were terrible. We hardly put a tackle in all game and if it wasn't for Etheridge and a very unlikely comeback we would have been embarrassed. No one is saying we should win at places like Watford - they are a decent side. But they hadn't won for six games and yet we made them look like Man City at their best. Its wasn't the loss, it was the manner of it that was worrying.

it all comes down to personal expectations...and I did not have any this season..it was not a strong championship squad and we did not spend a great deal to strengthen.the miracles our manager and players pulled out of hats last season just could not continue, there has to be a level where just good organisation and 11 gutsy players is not enough..
anyway having been told umpteen times during the summer how we were going to be hammered every week and relegated by Xmas I really am quite pleased how its going because logic said those predictions were quite possible.