Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL SAME MANTRA

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Neil still saying on goals on sunday we need a striker but if it's no better than what we have we won't be signing and we will go with what we have got, this was the mantra and mistake before the season started i understand the loans thing for other positions but i feel we need to push the boat out for a striker we are lacking a goalscorer simple and imo it will give all the fans a big lift if we do but if we don't get a striker in this could break the bond between everbody, i do hope we sign and keep everbody together.

Re: NEIL SAME MANTRA

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:55 pm

montyblue wrote:Neil still saying on goals on sunday we need a striker but if it's no better than what we have we won't be signing and we will go with what we have got, this was the mantra and mistake before the season started i understand the loans thing for other positions but i feel we need to push the boat out for a striker we are lacking a goalscorer simple and imo it will give all the fans a big lift if we do but if we don't get a striker in this could break the bond between everbody, i do hope we sign and keep everbody together.

I expect he feels the same as the fans. Unlike us fans, he probably has a better idea of the funds likely to be made available. He may think that with the sort of cash he has to play around with, he won't be able to get anything much better than we already have. He may be giving an indication that we should not be setting our sights too high, and that his budget might not be anywhere near the amount that some have guessed at on here recently.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
montyblue wrote:Neil still saying on goals on sunday we need a striker but if it's no better than what we have we won't be signing and we will go with what we have got, this was the mantra and mistake before the season started i understand the loans thing for other positions but i feel we need to push the boat out for a striker we are lacking a goalscorer simple and imo it will give all the fans a big lift if we do but if we don't get a striker in this could break the bond between everbody, i do hope we sign and keep everbody together.

I expect he feels the same as the fans. Unlike us fans, he probably has a better idea of the funds likely to be made available. He may think that with the sort of cash he has to play around with, he won't be able to get anything much better than we already have. He may be giving an indication that we should not be setting our sights too high, and that his budget might not be anywhere near the amount that some have guessed at on here recently.

I think you're right and he's trying to keep expectations low because there won't be much money available. Warnock will have known that the main transfer window is the summer window when it was made clear that very little money was being made available.

It's rare that quality signings become available in January and if Tan was not willing to spend in the summer, why would he spend in January when we are still odds on to be relegated?

I am still of the opinion that very little money will be made available as Tan's objective is now solely to get as much of his investment back as he can and to put the club in a position where he can get out. He has no interest in trying to establish the club in the Premier League and I think people will start to see this at the end of January when they see what has or hasn't been spent. In another thread it was suggested that Tan doesn't really mind if we get relegated and I think that's true as he has the Premier League money and parachute payments coming into the club without being committed to large wages or transfer fees.

I must stress I don't blame Tan in many ways for doing this - undoubtedly he has had his fingers burned and has lost any interest he may have had at one time in the club and football in general. We rarely see him at games even though we are now back in the Premier League and nothing he has done since we got promoted has suggested that he is determined to remain in this division.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:03 pm

davids wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

I think you're right and he's trying to keep expectations low because there won't be much money available. Warnock will have known that the main transfer window is the summer window when it was made clear that very little money was being made available.

It's rare that quality signings become available in January and if Tan was not willing to spend in the summer, why would he spend in January when we are still odds on to be relegated?

I am still of the opinion that very little money will be made available as Tan's objective is now solely to get as much of his investment back as he can and to put the club in a position where he can get out. He has no interest in trying to establish the club in the Premier League and I think people will start to see this at the end of January when they see what has or hasn't been spent. In another thread it was suggested that Tan doesn't really mind if we get relegated and I think that's true as he has the Premier League money and parachute payments coming into the club without being committed to large wages or transfer fees.

I must stress I don't blame Tan in many ways for doing this - undoubtedly he has had his fingers burned and has lost any interest he may have had at one time in the club and football in general. We rarely see him at games even though we are now back in the Premier League and nothing he has done since we got promoted has suggested that he is determined to remain in this division.

Tan is a businessman rather than a Cardiff fan, and that is why I believe you are right.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
davids wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Tan is a businessman rather than a Cardiff fan, and that is why I believe you are right.

Tan set out his plan for citys debt several years ago so why should he change it just because we are in premiership ? Promotion was bonus for him and it as helped us to stabilise far better than he was expecting . So don't expect January transfer window to be that great but it is what it is got up get on with it best we can :thumbup:

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:08 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
davids wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Tan set out his plan for citys debt several years ago so why should he change it just because we are in premiership ? Promotion was bonus for him and it as helped us to stabilise far better than he was expecting . So don't expect January transfer window to be that great but it is what it is got up get on with it best we can :thumbup:

Well there is an argument that if we were to stay in the Premier League for a few seasons and establish ourselves in the way that say Watford or Bournemouth have then that would be worth a lot more money to Mr Tan than just having one season and a few years parachute payments and that should appeal to even a businessman which is what Tan is, as Steve Zodiak says.

To do that would be a gamble that, having taken once, Tan seems reluctant to take again and in many ways that is perfectly understandable. However that means that Warnock and the team are trying to negotiate a very tough league with both hands tied behind their back.

In fairness to Tan he took on the responsibility for the club when nobody else was either willing or able to do so. At the moment it seems he is still the only game in town. As you say, it is what it is , and we have to get on with it as best we can.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:17 pm

If he said ‘I’m desperate for a striker’ other clubs could hold us to ransom with transfer fees as could agents with wages and signing on fees etc.
Hopefully NW is keeping cool atm.