Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Football - isn't it ?

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:55 am

I'm not sure whether this link will work, but if not I'll post the details so you can find it yourself .

In the words of the old Tim Hardin song " it's hard to listen to people talking 'bout what they don't know ".

I keep reading drivel here from people who alternately get euphoric when we win a game ,then get immediately convinced that we'll certainly be relegated when we lose one. Obviously they don't understand the nature of the game , but then they add insult to injury by insisting that we should play some whacky combination of players and just attack like whirling dervishes as soon as the whistle blows and never vary tactics according to those of the particular opponents or any other factor.

To these people ,( and you know who you are), I suggest this book, which explains some of the very basic elements of football when played at a higher level than you might have experienced in the playground when you were 14. It's quite different you see, and requires a bit more thinking and discipline than "3 and in" with a plastic ball. It's also different to computer game football where I believe you just buy Ronaldo, Pele and Jimmy Greaves and press a few buttons then win the Champions League later that afternoon.

I picked out this book at random. It seems to cover the basics, but there are loads of others available , so I'd suggest that those who are trying to join in without really understanding these basics read one or two of them privately . No one will know, and I promise you'd enjoy it much more if you knew what was going on during the games ,

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y

Re: Football - isn't it ?

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I'm not sure whether this link will work, but if not I'll post the details so you can find it yourself .

In the words of the old Tim Hardin song " it's hard to listen to people talking 'bout what they don't know ".

I keep reading drivel here from people who alternately get euphoric when we win a game ,then get immediately convinced that we'll certainly be relegated when we lose one. Obviously they don't understand the nature of the game , but then they add insult to injury by insisting that we should play some whacky combination of players and just attack like whirling dervishes as soon as the whistle blows and never vary tactics according to those of the particular opponents or any other factor.

To these people ,( and you know who you are), I suggest this book, which explains some of the very basic elements of football when played at a higher level than you might have experienced in the playground when you were 14. It's quite different you see, and requires a bit more thinking and discipline than "3 and in" with a plastic ball. It's also different to computer game football where I believe you just buy Ronaldo, Pele and Jimmy Greaves and press a few buttons then win the Champions League later that afternoon.

I picked out this book at random. It seems to cover the basics, but there are loads of others available , so I'd suggest that those who are trying to join in without really understanding these basics read one or two of them privately . No one will know, and I promise you'd enjoy it much more if you knew what was going on during the games ,

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y

:lol: :lol: