Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Neil Etheridge '

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:56 am

The rise of Cardiff City's Neil Etheridge and the formula Neil Warnock needs to find away from home -

Monday 17th December 2018

If Cardiff City are to remain in the Premier League beyond this season, they must develop a formula that allows them to win matches away from home.

The recent home form has been excellent, four wins in the last five at Cardiff City Stadium.

There comes a point, however, when the Bluebirds also have to start picking up points on their travels. Thus far, they have managed a paltry one point out of a possible haul of 24.

Yes, they've been to Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton. But Saturday's 3-2 defeat at Watford was an opportunity missed. As was the previous 3-1 loss at West Ham.

With games looming over Christmas at Crystal Palace and Leicester, Cardiff have to start getting things right. Those are away matches Neil Warnock can target.

So why is it going so wrong for the Bluebirds away from home?

It starts with the defence, a cornerstone of their success on the road last season but a unit that's malfunctioning at the moment.

The Bluebirds were carved open far too easily for Watford's goals and there is clearly work to do for Kevin Blackwell, organiser in-chief of the defence on the training ground, in the coming days.

Were it not for Neil Etheridge in goal, Cardiff's defeat would have been far heavier.

This was comfortably Etheridge's best display of the season, quite a feat given that he started his Premier League career by stopping penalties in successive matches.

Despite that excellent start, the statistics actually showed Cardiff's goalkeeper to be making fewer stops than his counterparts in subsequent matches, so it was great to see him come to the party at Vicarage Road - even though he wasn't helped out by his defence on this occasion.

Three times Etheridge superbly denied Roberto Pereyra, with another flying stop preventing a Cardiff own goal after pinball in the visitors' box near the end.

Watford had eight goals on target and it is no stretch to suggest the Hornets could have won the game by five or six goals.

So can Etheridge keep the Bluebirds up?

The answer is more complex than it seems.

It's well documented that the former Walsall stopper will miss matches in January while he plays for his native Philippines in the Asia Cup, with Alex Smithies waiting in the win

NEIL WARNOCK:

Warnock said of his keeper: "He's been like that all season. His kicking could be a bit better but he's improving, he's feeling comfortable at this level."

Etheridge himself isn't the type to bask in a good individual display especially after such a disappointing display from his back four and a bad result.

"It's always nice to put in a good personal performance, although it doesn't put points on the board for us," he said modestly.

"I've got to keep the players in the game and even though I've made some great stops, we conceded three so it's something to work on during the week."

If Etheridge can repeat this performance in away games at Crystal Palace and Leicester - providing his defence do their bit - the Bluebirds' unwanted away record should come to an end in the near future.

But not if the defensive display at Watford is repeated.

Cardiff were caught too narrow, with Javi Gracia's side playing a fluid 4-4-2 that consistently opened up space for Pereyra, Ken Sema and the brilliant Gerard Deulofeu in the channels.

Bruno Manga and Joe Bennett would admit this wasn't their finest match. Each was pinned back and tucked in too much, allowing Watford's forward players freedom of movement.

Cardiff backed off Deulofeu and put in some sloppy challenges to enable the Spaniard to skip through for the opening goal.

In fact the nature of the three Hornets goals - scored from around the edge of the box - indicated that Cardiff retreated far too much.

Warnock's side pose a threat at the other end of the field, as their rally at Vicarage Road showed, while they've got an excellent, improving, goalkeeper.

So the onus is on the defence to rediscover the steel that was their trademark in the Championship last season.

There's only so much Etheridge can do.

When Smithies comes in, he'll need a settled defence to ease him into the role.

Christmas needs to bring Cardiff the gift of an away win. At some point, the hoodoo needs to be broken.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Neil Etheridge '

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Not great if he's going to be our best player week in week out. Means our defence is awful.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:16 pm

If he hadn't already chosen his international allegiance there wouldn't be many in front of him for an England call up.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:34 pm

JJ1927 wrote:If he hadn't already chosen his international allegiance there wouldn't be many in front of him for an England call up.

His kicking is not good when he's under pressure.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 pm

I've always been a big supporter of Etheridge and am pleased to see him doing well. Taken his opportunity with both hands and has never let us down, all credit to him.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Dahboy wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:If he hadn't already chosen his international allegiance there wouldn't be many in front of him for an England call up.

His kicking is not good when he's under pressure.

All keepers have their flaws mate, it's whether they improve on it and imo he is improving that aspect of his game.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:39 pm

He is a decent keeper but would be nowhere near a England call up for a while.

They have at least 5 very good keepers at this level

Joe Hart
Tom Heaton
Jordan Pickford
Jack Butland
Nick Pope
Alex Mccarthy
Fraser Forster

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:40 pm

His kicking isn't the best but we have had worse. More importantly id rather a good shot stopper than a good kicker.

I think he's been great this season.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:42 pm

I think he will end up at a side like Bournemouth, West Ham, Everton when Pickford leaves, he's got so many qualities and his kicking will come on, reminds me of Fabianski

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:16 pm

thomasblue wrote:

He is a decent keeper but would be nowhere near a England call up for a while.

They have at least 5 very good keepers at this level

Joe Hart
Tom Heaton
Jordan Pickford
Jack Butland
Nick Pope
Alex Mccarthy
Fraser Forster

He is better than all of those except Pickford imo. There are 3 Burnley keepers and 2 Southampton keepers and a championship keeper, and Pope and Forster have been injured forever.
Plus Etheridge will improve at this rate and City will be lucky to hold onto him

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Reminds me of Marshall when we were last in Premier League,great shot stoppper but kicking and crosses weakness,hope we survive this time and he goes from strength to strength unlike Marshall!

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 pm

RV Casual wrote:I've always been a big supporter of Etheridge and am pleased to see him doing well. Taken his opportunity with both hands and has never let us down, all credit to him.

:thumbup:

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:00 am

f**k sake here we go same as last time we was in the prem.

He’s a good keeper but he’d be nowhere near an England call up.

Just like Marshall he has double the amount of work to do so it seems as if he’s being a world beater. Let’s not forget he’s let in 33 goals and only kept three clean sheets.

Saying that I hope he stays here for a long time and he’s doing nothing wrong but let’s not all start acting delusional and start saying things like he’s a 30 million pound goalkeeper.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:14 am

I disagree . Any good standard current premiership player goes for a lot money these days, and that's what he is .

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 am

Llan_Blue wrote:f**k sake here we go same as last time we was in the prem.

Just like Marshall he has double the amount of work to do so it seems as if he’s being a world beater. Let’s not forget he’s let in 33 goals and only kept three clean sheets.

Saying that I hope he stays here for a long time and he’s doing nothing wrong but let’s not all start acting delusional and start saying things like he’s a 30 million pound goalkeeper.

Sense at last.
He’s a decent keeper but not at Marshall’s level at his peak. Nothing to say he won’t continue to improve though and I like him.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:38 am

Nowhere near it! he's barely had half a good year in the prem. Keepers at the bottom generally stand out as they are the busiest in the league. He's a really good keeper but he's got a long way to go to get to that level, his distribution is not great.

Let's not get carried away, the other day I read Murphy would get an England call up :banghead:

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:05 am

No ones mentioned Andy dibble seems like he's coached him well

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:12 am

Decent shot stopper but his distribution is awful. Even from goalkicks and freekicks, when not under pressure, his kicks are poor.

That said, he has made a massive step up and what a find by Warnock! Didn’t we pick him up out of contract!? Will only get better, hopefully his kicking improves as well.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I agree that he wouldn't be anywhere near an England call up (if he could) or worth £30 million (although iv only seen young Sam say that to be fair), however I find it pretty sad that people would rather pick out the negatives of a player who has been one of our most consistent over the past two seasons rather than give praise where its due.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:00 pm

and the 3 keepers England took to the world cup..?
1 made the most saves in the prem last season and the other 2 finished with the 4th most and 6th most saves...so the extra work does not seem to be a factor..so of course they would be looking ,who else is playing regular.?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:29 pm

RV Casual wrote:I agree that he wouldn't be anywhere near an England call up (if he could) or worth £30 million (although iv only seen young Sam say that to be fair), however I find it pretty sad that people would rather pick out the negatives of a player who has been one of our most consistent over the past two seasons rather than give praise where its due.

Nobody’s picking on his faults everybody has agreed that he’s doing well and we all want him to stay for a long time.
There’s no need to go overboard like people on here do about our players sometimes. Makes me cringe sometimes.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:31 pm

dogfound wrote:

1 made the most saves in the prem last season and the other 2 finished with the 4th most and 6th most saves...so the extra work does not seem to be a factor..so of course they would be looking ,who else is playing regular.?

I never mentioned making saves at all. But I did mention only keeping three clean sheets and letting in 33 goals maybe you can dig those stats out??

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:I agree that he wouldn't be anywhere near an England call up (if he could) or worth £30 million (although iv only seen young Sam say that to be fair), however I find it pretty sad that people would rather pick out the negatives of a player who has been one of our most consistent over the past two seasons rather than give praise where its due.

Nobody’s picking on his faults everybody has agreed that he’s doing well and we all want him to stay for a long time.
There’s no need to go overboard like people on here do about our players sometimes. Makes me cringe sometimes.

I understand what your'e saying about going overboard and I agree as I used to feel the same about Marshall, some people (not suggesting you) do seem to have had the knives out for Etheridge for a while, there were people who wanted him replaced in the summer, felt like they were willing him to fail at times.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I never mentioned making saves at all. But I did mention only keeping three clean sheets and letting in 33 goals maybe you can dig those stats out??

you mentioned amount of work...silly me I thought you meant as a goalkeeper not mowing his lawn or painting the shed..
and why would i mention facts youve got correct ..

my point was the keepers they took were also ot playing for top sides.. :roll:

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:13 pm

dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

you mentioned amount of work...silly me I thought you meant as a goalkeeper not mowing his lawn or painting the shed..

:lol:

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 pm

dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Why you rolling your eyes and being cocky for??

One of the keepers was from Burnley who finished 7th and the other one was from Everton who finished 8th. To me finishing in those positions makes you a top side.

My point was the amount of work Etheridge is doing this season is going to make him look better then he is nothing to do with you won’t get picked for England making loads of saves. The difference is Pickford will probably be making those saves to keep it 0-0 and Etheridge will be making them when we are already two goals down.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

One of the keepers was from Burnley who finished 7th and the other one was from Everton who finished 8th. To me finishing in those positions makes you a top side.

My point was the amount of work Etheridge is doing this season is going to make him look better then he is nothing to do with you won’t get picked for England making loads of saves. The difference is Pickford will probably be making those saves to keep it 0-0 and Etheridge will be making them when we are already two goals down.

sorry but this time last season Pickford was making those saves stopping Arsenal scorring their 6th or Man Utd and Southampton getting their 5th..and thats despite having about 300 million pounds worth of talent in front of him..

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 am

dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

sorry but this time last season Pickford was making those saves stopping Arsenal scorring their 6th or Man Utd and Southampton getting their 5th..and thats despite having about 300 million pounds worth of talent in front of him..

Not every week then like etheridge is doing no?

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:20 pm

I recall some of our loyal true blues on here calling to replace him with the ex jack Fabianski in the summer. Any comments patriots.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:33 am

Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Not every week then like etheridge is doing no?

look if you dont like Etheriidge just say it...i dont really think stats prove much but you started with clean sheets and busier moved to nil nils..now its every week..which again your wrong, at this point last season pickford had made more saves {was bussier after going 2 behind than etheridge has been at 2 gls down this season..

just call it a win to you,i cant be bothered tbh.