Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Building for next season?

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:22 am

Do you think that Warnock and the board are looking at building a team that might challenge in the championship next season or are they going to sign 3 or 4 players that might give us a chance of staying up?

Let's not forget if we go down we will need to sign an entire new midfield as the 2 loans will go and Gunnar is our of contract, not to mention our 2 biggest problems CLEAN SHEETS and SCORING GOALS. I know we get 100+ million for getting relegated but will Tan invest that in the club?

I get the feeling that it all depends on the Huddersfield and Newcastle games, if we lose both of them then we won't sign anyone of any note, if we win the board just might sign one or two players.

I don't expect any signings until the final day of the window.

Re: Building for next season?

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:27 am

Think you are spot on, the lack of activity in the transfer market is worrying.
NW stated throughout December he wanted players in early now he is stating it may be the last day of the window.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:38 am

What is the point of building for a season in the Championship? If we are then what is next season's aim?

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:03 am

Gaynor Straight wrote:What is the point of building for a season in the Championship? If we are then what is next season's aim?

Next season's aim is not to do a Sunderland, Leeds, Southampton and Man City. I think the board want us to be the next West Brom or Burnley, promotion then relegation and promotion again but it's doesn't work every time.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 am

I don't think so, they are clearly trying to add to keep us up. The club are being consistent with their plans.

The problem is players will always look for a better option so the clubs down the bottom are rarely going to get their first options unless they pay big.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:39 pm

dazza wrote:Do you think that Warnock and the board are looking at building a team that might challenge in the championship next season or are they going to sign 3 or 4 players that might give us a chance of staying up?

Let's not forget if we go down we will need to sign an entire new midfield as the 2 loans will go and Gunnar is our of contract, not to mention our 2 biggest problems CLEAN SHEETS and SCORING GOALS. I know we get 100+ million for getting relegated but will Tan invest that in the club?

I get the feeling that it all depends on the Huddersfield and Newcastle games, if we lose both of them then we won't sign anyone of any note, if we win the board just might sign one or two players.

I don't expect any signings until the final day of the window.

Your first statement undoubtedly!

Correct and no he won't!

Whether we win lose or draw these 2 games we won't sign anyone of any note. Rationale: if we win or draw the reason given for buying no-one of note will be we don't need them; if we lose both games the reason given will be that we won't want to throw good money after bad with the Championship staring us in the face.

Make no bones about it, NW and the boys have done fantastically well to even get into the Premier League and undoubtedly deserve our support. The problem is not with NW or the current playing staff. NW needed the financial resource last summer to have an even chance of staying up there and for the City to move to the next stage of development - that was obvious to NW, Tan, the players and fans. Last summer we then invested in permanent deals for players of only Championship quality interspersed with one or two decent loans (Camarasa and Arter). The writing was therefore on the wall last summer - NW and the players have and continue to do all they can but although we are currently outside the bottom 3, Fulham, Burnley and Southampton are improving and we are not. Those teams will also do decent business this window and we will not. You can't pull your socks up if you don't have any on.

Tan's target is to bring in millions more than he pays out He will achieve this through this year's promotion to the EPL and next year's parachute payments - that's the way it is - he is a businessman. Because of that target; the hierarchy have no ambition to establish us as a premier league club, which is the next stage of development for us. Under Tan we can expect no more than being a yo-yo club spending 4/5 years in the Championship then a brutal season in the EPL. Those fans that are happy with that then power to your elbow but for me I want to see City established long term in the EPL and that won't happen under Tan so I hope he will get fed up and sell to someone like the late Leicester City owner. Perhaps I'm a dreamer but if you don't dream you don't aspire and will never achieve anything other than mediocrity.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:46 pm

We are not even in the relegation zone at the moment

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:59 pm

dazza wrote:
Gaynor Straight wrote:What is the point of building for a season in the Championship? If we are then what is next season's aim?

Next season's aim is not to do a Sunderland, Leeds, Southampton and Man City. I think the board want us to be the next West Brom or Burnley, promotion then relegation and promotion again but it's doesn't work every time.

That's exceptionally negative and (IMHO) way wide of the mark! :(

Clearly, it is in both the club (financial) and Neil Warnock's (status) interest to stay in the Premier League but (as they say) there is both a limit to what they are prepared to spend, and there is an issue with attracting the players they want, if other (more established) Premier League teams are in for them also

It's not rocket science and whilst the lack of early movement is frustrating, there are signs that signings are imminent

Madine (forget Tomlin) going is a positive sign of activity and others are seemingly departing, too

6 days of the window gone so far and some are in meltdown :shock: (Maybe not so shocking ;) )

Thankfully most can see that there are still 25 days to go and appreciate the club will be working very hard to complete some business! :thumbright:

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:59 pm

englishbluebird wrote:We are not even in the relegation zone at the moment

I agree - have look at the last but one line of paragraph 4 of my post.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Sven you are so far off the mark it is untrue. For those interested in a fantastic breakdown and explanation of football team finances have a read of the swissramble on Twitter. He goes through the accounts of numerous clubs and provides a thorough breakdown of their finances.

In his discussion about Cardiff he mentions that 90% of our cash comes from tan and so far (as of last year, not including premier league money, he has invested 182m in to the club). Outside of the typical premier league teams that means he has only invested less than the owners of aston villa, QPR and Brightons.

This myth that Tan hasn't invested and isn't doing a fantastic job running the club needs to stop. He has been the most successful chairman the club has had in decades and unlike many owners (e.g. Bolton, Villa and QPR) isn't gambling to ensure the club make him a profit or give him short term success but instead put Cardiff in a sustainable position for the future. I feel any fan who calls for Tans head at this stage just doesn't read into the facts or is still hung up on the shirt change, which he has reversed and apologised for.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:24 pm

LaBamba wrote:Sven you are so far off the mark it is untrue. For those interested in a fantastic breakdown and explanation of football team finances have a read of the swissramble on Twitter. He goes through the accounts of numerous clubs and provides a thorough breakdown of their finances.

In his discussion about Cardiff he mentions that 90% of our cash comes from tan and so far (as of last year, not including premier league money, he has invested 182m in to the club). Outside of the typical premier league teams that means he has only invested less than the owners of aston villa, QPR and Brightons.

This myth that Tan hasn't invested and isn't doing a fantastic job running the club needs to stop. He has been the most successful chairman the club has had in decades and unlike many owners (e.g. Bolton, Villa and QPR) isn't gambling to ensure the club make him a profit or give him short term success but instead put Cardiff in a sustainable position for the future. I feel any fan who calls for Tans head at this stage just doesn't read into the facts or is still hung up on the shirt change, which he has reversed and apologised for.

90% ?
that means parachute payments, gate reciepts, advertising, merchandising combined come to 10% ?..impossible

either youve read it wrong or the bloke is a real beaut

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:33 pm

dogfound wrote:
LaBamba wrote:Sven you are so far off the mark it is untrue. For those interested in a fantastic breakdown and explanation of football team finances have a read of the swissramble on Twitter. He goes through the accounts of numerous clubs and provides a thorough breakdown of their finances.

It’s not impossible

90% ?
that means parachute payments, gate reciepts, advertising, merchandising combined come to 10% ?..impossible

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It’s not impossible

90% ?

oh so he has invested billions?
of course its impossible, infact impossible does not do how wrong it is justice..
but please do explain... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:12 pm

blemmy wrote:
englishbluebird wrote:We are not even in the relegation zone at the moment

I agree - have look at the last but one line of paragraph 4 of my post.

I am assuming paragraph 4 is the 3 clubs picking up...
since start of December Fulham have picked up 6 pts. Southampton 8pts..burnley 9 points..we have picked up 7 points..

all three you mentioned have beaten Huddersfield within that period....we of course might not but its hardly a sea change in form..as for decent signings , you don't know how well they fit or how poor they are until they play. rationale. we signed two loanees better than 100 million pounds worth of waste products that Fulham signed..

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:29 pm

Thats based on cash flow over the last decade. A cash flow is split in to three types of activities: Operating activities (All the things you mentioned), Investing activities (this will include transfers and stadium sale) and financing activities (this includes loans and shares).

Operating activities is based on the bottom line of profit and loss which is almost always negative, transfers over the last decade have been negative. Therefore within the assessment those are not considered funding areas.

The profitable areas which are considered funding areas are the owner loans, share issues and stadium sale. Thats my understanding of the break down.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 pm

dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It’s not impossible

90% ?

of course its impossible, infact impossible does not do how wrong it is justice..

I never said he has I said it’s not impossible

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:00 am

Far off the mark with what (where I've actually stated something above) exactly? :?

I think you're mistaking me for someone else, if you even think I've ever knocked or denied Vincent Tan's financial input at Cardiff City FC

My main point (above) was that City are actively in the transfer market and it is in the club's (therefor Vincent Tan's) interest financially

I think you're either making it up as you go along or just actively looking to have you six penn'orth! ;)

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:56 am

Even if we sign nobody we will still most likely stay up so this talk of building for the champ is utter nonsense. Anyway we will sign a couple of players this window it’s still early days for. I hate the jan transfer window personally anyway and think it should be abolished.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:32 am

Needed to sign players before Huddersfield game not only to help win the very important game but also to show commitment and ambition to staying up.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm

Bluesman wrote:Needed to sign players before Huddersfield game not only to help win the very important game but also to show commitment and ambition to staying up.

Id rather get the right player after the Huddersfield game than rush and get the wrong player before it.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It’s not impossible

90% ?

I never said he has I said it’s not impossible

fair enough..
but the post I quoted was a bit silly ,if all I mentioned adds up to only 10% ,Tans 90% really would run into billions which is more than he is worth..?

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:51 pm

LaBamba wrote:Thats based on cash flow over the last decade. A cash flow is split in to three types of activities: Operating activities (All the things you mentioned), Investing activities (this will include transfers and stadium sale) and financing activities (this includes loans and shares).

Operating activities is based on the bottom line of profit and loss which is almost always negative, transfers over the last decade have been negative. Therefore within the assessment those are not considered funding areas.

The profitable areas which are considered funding areas are the owner loans, share issues and stadium sale. Thats my understanding of the break down.

so 90% of our cash does not come from Tan. its 90% of losses are covered by him..i think most people figured that out, even the haters.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:58 pm

SVEN
Its not a case of fans in meltdown at no signings after 6 days its the fact we are short in certain areas even you can surely see that and we have these winable games coming up now thats what some of us are referring to and the board and neil saying they wanted to get things done early and that now has now obviously changed and its that disappointment by some fans not for the sake of not signing just anybody but not getting players lined up and doing the deals early for these important games well thats my veiw i got no problem with neil as a manager what so ever just our stuttering in the transfer market and excuses there wanting to much and a the never ending line of we missed out because bla bla niasse from everton is for sale for 6 .8 mill not bad in my eyes for a striker and considering we nearly payed that for madine why not just pay it done striker signed and imo he not bad at that price.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:07 pm

montyblue wrote:SVEN
Its not a case of fans in meltdown at no signings after 6 days its the fact we are short in certain areas even you can surely see that and we have these winable games coming up now thats what some of us are referring to and the board and neil saying they wanted to get things done early and that now has now obviously changed and its that disappointment by some fans not for the sake of not signing just anybody but not getting players lined up and doing the deals early for these important games well thats my veiw i got no problem with neil as a manager what so ever just our stuttering in the transfer market and excuses there wanting to much and a the never ending line of we missed out because bla bla niasse from everton is for sale for 6 .8 mill not bad in my eyes for a striker and considering we nearly payed that for madine why not just pay it done striker signed and imo he not bad at that price.

Sorry, but many fans (as is clear on this Forum) are in meltdown a week into the January transfer window and the amount of stick both club and manager have taken by the usual suspects is culpable.

It's the same every window and will (sadly) probably be the case going forward

If you (or anyone else) thinks the club aren't working hard within the parameters they have (rightly) set, then you are mistaken. Furthermore, the club itself hasn't (to my knowledge) released a list of targets or the financial details of what the have to spend

People just have to be a little patient, which is clearly impossible for some ;)

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:14 pm

montyblue wrote:SVEN

looks like our club wre pretty confident about Clyne and Sala .in Clynes case it seems both he and his club had agreed..in Salas case it seems the transfer deal was done but the player turned it down despite being offered a considerable pay increase..its football.

as for Niasse , have we offered anything.?

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:33 pm

DOGFOUND
I don't t think we have offered anything for niasse but neil did say he was interested palace burnley will probably pick him up while we keep hanging on like the grujic sage with this guy from nantes i would'nt give a fig on signing until the end of january if we where say playing man city chelsea or Liverpool because if we did have new players in they probably would struggle against these teams but we have udders newcastle bournmouth coming up now and with new editions we could be talking all points of these.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:42 pm

montyblue wrote:DOGFOUND
I don't t think we have offered anything for niasse but neil did say he was interested palace burnley will probably pick him up while we keep hanging on like the grujic sage with this guy from nantes i would'nt give a fig on signing until the end of january if we where say playing man city chelsea or Liverpool because if we did have new players in they probably would struggle against these teams but we have udders newcastle bournmouth coming up now and with new editions we could be talking all points of these.

was in Kirkdale the evening Everton got thumped by Spurs ,so listened to game on local radio and after match chat re whats wrong and how they could improve..Niasse came up...big firm no, not even after a thumping, the Everton fans I spoke to in spoons were of the same mind, absolutely terrible...personally I haven't seen much of him but players can sound much better when they are not your players ?

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Brother in law is everton always said he was a threat and when i mentioned he said he would be good for us a lot better than what you have up front at the mo and from what i seen of him on the box i could ' nt argue the fans in the pub you met probably were' nt happy with lukaka either anybody thats not banging 20 goals in a season is not for there club probably

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:49 pm

montyblue wrote:Brother in law is everton always said he was a threat and when i mentioned he said he would be good for us a lot better than what you have up front at the mo and from what i seen of him on the box i could ' nt argue the fans in the pub you met probably were' nt happy with lukaka either anybody thats not banging 20 goals in a season is not for there club probably

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive ... tal-palace