Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Let’s Be Honest

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 pm

I am still optimistic that City can bring a few players in during this transfer window but let’s be honest as a club we don’t seem to do particularly well in the transfer market. We always seem to flag up to other clubs our targets, don’t do the deal (whether down to haggling over price/method of payment or the player) and then another club comes in, pays the going rate and we miss out.

All the talk about missing out on players whilst waiting for others, e.g. Grujic/Clyne and then the media talking up deals e.g. Sala, Tameze, N’Jie.

It is frustrating that as a club we have a great chance of staying up if only we strengthened the squad with 2/3 quality players. Premiership survival is there for the taking but we just seem content with plodding along without any real urgency. There must be many clubs out there who would love to be in our position. Why don’t we give it a good go & benfit from the huge financial rewards. We don’t need to settle for relegation and parachute payments.

I hope that the club pulls one or two rabbits out of the hat before the end of the window or many fans will be disappointed knowing that we haven’t given it a good go regardless of the current players who have given 100% so far. Some will probably disagree and say the club are doing a good job but there’s seem to be many disappointed City fans on Twitter at the moment.

Re: Let’s Be Honest

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:I am still optimistic that City can bring a few players in during this transfer window but let’s be honest as a club we don’t seem to do particularly well in the transfer market. We always seem to flag up to other clubs our targets, don’t do the deal (whether down to haggling over price/method of payment or the player) and then another club comes in, pays the going rate and we miss out.

All the talk about missing out on players whilst waiting for others, e.g. Grujic/Clyne and then the media talking up deals e.g. Sala, Tameze, N’Jie.

It is frustrating that as a club we have a great chance of staying up if only we strengthened the squad with 2/3 quality players. Premiership survival is there for the taking but we just seem content with plodding along without any real urgency. There must be many clubs out there who would love to be in our position. Why don’t we give it a good go & benfit from the huge financial rewards. We don’t need to settle for relegation and parachute payments.

I hope that the club pulls one or two rabbits out of the hat before the end of the window or many fans will be disappointed knowing that we haven’t given it a good go regardless of the current players who have given 100% so far. Some will probably disagree and say the club are doing a good job but there’s seem to be many disappointed City fans on Twitter at the moment.

So many people on this board think buying a player is like nipping to the supermarket to pick up a pint of milk

It’s not easy firstly the player has to have some form of interest in joining and given our league position and the fact it’s gonna be a dogfight getting a player better than we have is a tough ask

Then you have to agree a fee in January this is always inflated for a start

Once you agree a fee and the payment structure of it you then get to talk to a greedy agent

Said agent will want his player to have a large signing on fee plus x amount of wages usually double what they are already on at their club, so then is their wages within or budget are we happy with agent fee and signing on fee is the contract length right for both parties, bonuses relegation wage drops there masses to factor in you also have the agent well so and so are offering this my client would prefer to live in London can he travel back and forth etc etc

Then there’s a medical sometimes players change their mind last ministerial, clubs change mind and refuse player to leave

So basically relegations battling clubs with tight wage budgets and no doubt large wage drop relegation clauses and maybe release fees of relegated don’t appeal to many players, maybe more to young hungry players but better quality than we have already not many imo

So no for me I’d rather stick with what we have if the players we bring in don’t walk into the first 11

Re: Let’s Be Honest

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:35 pm

What ever way you dress it up its the same for all clubs in the prem not just cardiff this happens to with transfers so we should be able to get a deal over the line like other clubs do.