Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: “ The penalty incident “

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 am

Gaynor Straight wrote:
20190113_070905.jpg

That photo only proves that the defender has come in from behind Hoillet

It doesn’t show him contacting the ball

What it does show is Hoillet is on his way down, doesn’t prefer be he’s been fouled, but it’s more than likely he has.

I’ve watched it over a few times and for me he took Hoilett out , whether he took the ball after is inconclusive from the video.

He’s dived in from behind and 9 times out of 10 that’s a penalty and potentially a sending off

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 am

dogfound wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
dogfound wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Thoughts on this?

I was in the Ninian stand opposite it but still quite difficult to see, as it was the other side of the penalty box.

We’re last on MOTD tonight, but will wait for that to have a more informed opinion.

My first instinct was that it was a penalty - very surprised when the referee changed his mind after speaking to his assistant. The referee seemed certain behind any doubt it was a penalty at the time.

ours was, it might no have been intentional but he completely takes hoilett out.

Would definitely agree with that. On first viewing, I thought both were penalties. Still waiting for MOTD to show us.

theirs I actually thought he tripped Bennett but I was not very close.

On watching the replays that’s what it looks like to me.
Bennett has blocked him and he’s gone through Bennett.

Looks like that’s how the linesman saw it too.

And also this all happened outside the box, so if he’s calling Bennett for the block then it’s a free kick

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:50 am

Lawnmower wrote:
Gaynor Straight wrote:
20190113_070905.jpg

What it does show is Hoillet is on his way down, doesn’t prefer be he’s been fouled, but it’s more than likely he has.

I’ve watched it over a few times and for me he took Hoilett out , whether he took the ball after is inconclusive from the video.

He’s dived in from behind and 9 times out of 10 that’s a penalty and potentially a sending off

He was going for the ball before Hoilett got past, so didn't go for him from behind. Officials got it spot on.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:06 am

Lawnmower wrote:
Gaynor Straight wrote:
20190113_070905.jpg

I had a brilliant view of that and I thought it was 100% a penalty, but not a sending off, because their player made a genuine attempt for the ball, but make no mistake in doing so he cleared Hoilett out inside the 6 yard box moving in on goal. I believe if that challenge had happened outside the box it would 100% been a free kick and there were numerous examples of that yesterday where Mason give a freekick. We have ALL seen penalties given for challenges like that but yesterday it will go down as just another bizarre decision by Mason.

His most bizarre was giving them a penalty, again I had a brilliant view of that, because any offence, if there was one, was clearly outside the box as the players tangled and they both ended up on the floor inside the box. About the only thing he got right was the drop ball restart.

One of those unremarkable games where a poor performance by the referee was the only "Real" highlight.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:09 am

Gaynor Straight wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
Gaynor Straight wrote:
20190113_070905.jpg

He was going for the ball before Hoilett got past, so didn't go for him from behind. Officials got it spot on.

I think that is what the ref thought but then again if Hoilett gets past him as he is going for the ball and misses the ball because Holiett is in the way then it's a pen.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am

They were both not given so who cares now :roll:

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:17 am

Bluebina wrote:They were both not given so who cares now :roll:

People who like to talk about the game, after the final whistle, care.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:19 am

Spot on, pardon the pun and the beauty of football, many different opinions from different parts of the ground and even after viewing the incidents on TV, still many differing views.
I thought Mason was very poor yesterday, but maybe not now as poor as first thought??

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Gaynor Straight wrote:
20190113_070905.jpg

He got the ball before he made any contact with the player. No penalty for us. I thought this was a contact sport?

Bennett blocked off the Huddersfield player, but the initial contact was just outside the penalty area. Should have been a free kick to Huddersfield. No idea what the linesman saw.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
Gaynor Straight wrote:
20190113_070905.jpg

He got the ball before he made any contact with the player. No penalty for us. I thought this was a contact sport?

Bennett blocked off the Huddersfield player, but the initial contact was just outside the penalty area. Should have been a free kick to Huddersfield. No idea what the linesman saw.

Contact sport. You wouldn't have thought it with some of the free kicks he gave them yesterday. Any time we got near them they fell over!

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Valley Lad wrote:

Spot on, pardon the pun and the beauty of football, many different opinions from different parts of the ground and even after viewing the incidents on TV, still many differing views.
I thought Mason was very poor yesterday, but maybe not now as poor as first thought??

This is exactly why VAR wont work in football. Too many different opinions. Even this board cannot agree on a decision even after multiple replays and angles and this type of discussion is exactly what people love about football.if everything was perfect the game would be a bit boring

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:58 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Valley Lad wrote:

This is exactly why VAR wont work in football. Too many different opinions. Even this board cannot agree on a decision even after multiple replays and angles and this type of discussion is exactly what people love about football.if everything was perfect the game would be a bit boring

Var doesnt have to work all it needs is for the var official watching to say if it's a pen/goal ect ect , what ref thinks doesn't matter as we've seen in cup games other week if var says goal it's a goal ect ect but pundits and fans will still argue over things but now it will be focused on var not match officials, what he would have made of yesterday's incident with Huddersfield pen God knows because no one else seems to....