Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MAN UTD: GARETH SOUTHGATE UNDER CONSIDERATION

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:29 am

Gareth Southgate linked with Manchester United job
By Sky Sports News

Gareth Southgate is under consideration to be the next permanent manager of Manchester United, according to Sky sources.

United, who face Tottenham at Wembley on Sunday, live on Sky Sports, have not made contact with the FA at this stage but the England manager's work with young players, style of play and ambassadorial qualities have made him a candidate.

Southgate extended his contract with England in October, which will see him lead the Three Lions to the 2022 World Cup.

He took the national side to the World Cup semi-finals in Russia last summer just missing out on the final after losing 2-1 to Croatia in extra-time.

Jose Mourinho was sacked by United in December and was replaced by caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solksjaer. Since then, United have won their last five games in all competitions.

United declined to comment when contacted by Sky Sports News.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MAN UTD: GARETH SOUTHGATE UNDER CONSIDERATION

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:48 am

Maybe I’m getting too cynical, but this sounds like Sky up to their old tricks.

1) Put out a story on Sky Sports that Southgate is in the running for the MUFC job.

2) There are a flurry of bets on SkyBet for Southgate to get the job, causing him to become favourite.

3) As he is favourite, plenty others put money on Southgate to get the job.

4) It emerges that Southgate is not on Manchester United’s shortlist, but at least SkyBet have made good money out of it.

I can’t see them going for him anyway. Their first choice is obviously Pochettino and they’ll put everything they have into getting him. If they fail, then I’d say Solskjaer is likely to be their fall-back option, if they continue their current resurgence.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:10 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Maybe I’m getting too cynical, but this sounds like Sky up to their old tricks.

1) Put out a story on Sky Sports that Southgate is in the running for the MUFC job.

2) There are a flurry of bets on SkyBet for Southgate to get the job, causing him to become favourite.

3) As he is favourite, plenty others put money on Southgate to get the job.

4) It emerges that Southgate is not on Manchester United’s shortlist, but at least SkyBet have made good money out of it.

I can’t see them going for him anyway. Their first choice is obviously Pochettino and they’ll put everything they have into getting him. If they fail, then I’d say Solskjaer is likely to be their fall-back option, if they continue their current resurgence.

Ned, I can see your thinking! :thumbright:

I've said before that Sky as a conglomerate are having way too much influence on both the set up and direction of all sports in which they are involved financially (not just football; look at cycling, for example) and you can see patterns in their focus on certain stories until they come true; specifically when a manager is under pressure

Their relentless chase of Jose Mourinho was a disgrace IMHO and it's happened to others :(

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:48 am

Southgate is not good manager.

He has the luxury of having probably the best group of young English players for decades.

His qualifying groups have been walkovers as is the next one.

The world cup group was kind

Any time they come up against any type of quality in a meaningful game they lose.

Tactically he is poor.

His record at club level is also poor, he would be a big gamble for them . There are better Young English managers about than him