Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

how are we tired?

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:31 pm

People saying some players are tired .correct me if I'm wrong but this season we will only play 38 league games and 2 cup games.the lowest ever total in a season in the clubs entire history?.

Re: how are we tired?

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37 pm

And for half the side that was there first game in 11 days.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:39 pm

I wouldn't say they were tired but more lacking fitness which does not help if you are carrying injuries

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Any pro will tell you, if you chase the ball fo 90 minutes, you will get tired.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 pm

skiprat wrote:People saying some players are tired .correct me if I'm wrong but this season we will only play 38 league games and 2 cup games.the lowest ever total in a season in the clubs entire history?.

If only it was that simple.

For almost all of those 38 games we are then underdog playing against teams with world class players. We have had to run our asses off every single game. You can’t really compare it to anything else.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:17 am

Llan_Blue wrote:
skiprat wrote:People saying some players are tired .correct me if I'm wrong but this season we will only play 38 league games and 2 cup games.the lowest ever total in a season in the clubs entire history?.

If only it was that simple.

For almost all of those 38 games we are then underdog playing against teams with world class players. We have had to run our asses off every single game. You can’t really compare it to anything else.

Exactly and not many of our players are used to playing against this calibre of opposition, they’ve never played in the Premier League before.

Of the team that started yesterday only Morrison, Bennett, Gunnarsson, Arter and Hoilett had ever played in this league before.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:38 am

Well that's because the game at this level is a lot more intense. In any sport or physical activity, and also in cerebral ones actually, the higher the standard the more it will drain you. Playing in a lower level club game requires fitness but you'll find that the difference playing for a bigger club is huge, and at international level it's torture.
A soldier in training doing route marches on Salisbury Plain or in Otterburn will cope easily after a while , but when he repeats that under fire or at risk if fire it's another thing altogether .
We notice that Lee Tomlin had no trouble shining for Peterborough yesterday , demonstrating a certain difference.

Also bear in mind that our boys are in many cases playing a bit above their own best expected standards to keep up at this level, which is a great tribute to them, but they can't keep that level up forever unless something happens to bolster their morale.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:08 am

Because on average we have less than 38 possession in games and spend most of the 60% + time chasing shadows and defending. It takes its toll I guess.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 pm

having less games is defo a plus.
but the mistake that keeps being made on here is that fatigue is purely cumulative which is not the case. you can be absolutely drained after game 1 and recovered totally by game 2.