Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

There is a real problem with Cardiff's Academy says

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Families unite in fight against 'bully' Craig Bellamy with help of lawyer and support of the PFA as they prepare to present evidence against Cardiff City's Under 18s coach

One father said: 'I believe there is a real problem at Cardiff's academy and it runs deeper than Bellamy. There is no accountability from above. Allegations have been made previously and swept under the carpet.

'The academy needs seriously investigating in terms of the number of boys who are becoming deeply unhappy.'

There was a complaint against Craig Bellamy by a player contracted to Cardiff
They want to see the former Wales captain removed from academy coaching
Families will provide statements through a lawyer this week and help of PFA

By CRAIG HOPE FOR THE DAILY MAIL

14 January 2019

The families of former Cardiff City academy players who claim their sons were bullied by Craig Bellamy have joined forces with the help of a lawyer and support from the PFA to present their evidence against the Under 18s coach.

The group came forward after Sportsmail broke the story earlier this month of a complaint against Bellamy by a player currently contracted to the club.

They want to see the former Wales captain, 39, removed from academy-age coaching in a bid to prevent other young players suffering like they say their sons did.

The group came forward after Sportsmail broke the story of a complaint against Craig Bellamy

The group hope that by engaging a law firm it will encourage others to come forward +6

When will football leave bullying culture in the past? The...

Have we got to the stage where Craig Bellamy could be forced...

Craig Bellamy turned the club toxic: Father of a former...

'This is about doing things properly': Former police chief...
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

They will provide detailed statements through a lawyer this week rather than deal directly with Cardiff's head of safeguarding Rob Cronick, who has been tasked with leading the investigation.

The families are concerned that Cronick is also a coach within the academy, although the former detective chief inspector has told us his investigation will be 'professional and effective' and has promised parents there will be no cover-up.

The group hope that by engaging a law firm — a move supported by the PFA — it will encourage others to come forward as they believe players have been scared to speak out against Bellamy and other coaches. They also feel previous complaints were not handled correctly.

One father said: 'I believe there is a real problem at Cardiff's academy and it runs deeper than Bellamy. There is no accountability from above. Allegations have been made previously and swept under the carpet.

'The academy needs seriously investigating in terms of the number of boys who are becoming deeply unhappy.'

They hope this will prevent other young players from suffering like they say their sons did
One of the father's sons claims Bellamy called him a 'f****** snitch' and 's***house'

His son claims Bellamy called him a 'f****** snitch' and 's***house' after he made a formal complaint of bullying against another coach.

In a grievance letter seen by Sportsmail from November 2016 and addressed to academy manager James McCarthy, the player listed a series of allegations against Under 23s coach Jarred Harvey.

One of the accusations of verbal bullying was that Harvey told the teenager he'd had a 'f****** holocaust' in front of his team-mates after he made a mistake in a game.

Bellamy officially joined the academy a few weeks later and both the player and his parents became uncomfortable with his language and behaviour. They raised their concerns about Bellamy in the grievance meeting dealing with their original complaint against Harvey, which centred on allegations of abusive and aggressive language.

The families want to see the former Wales captain, 39, removed from academy-age coaching
Bellamy, who played for the likes of Cardiff, Liverpool and West Ham, denies the allegations

The parents later spoke to academy education officer Steve Ellis, and say he told them he had warned Bellamy and Harvey about their conduct.

The player's father said: 'I did not take matters further as I was assured the bullying would stop. However, Bellamy then called my son, "The f****** little snitch who sent in the letter. You are a f****** s***house". Bellamy asked him why he had to get his parents involved. I could not believe this.

'There was then an incident before an FA Youth Cup game when Bellamy went around the dressing room shaking hands. He got to my son and said, "Nah, not you mate". This man has no boundaries.' Bellamy vehemently denies this.

The player, who had been in the academy since the age of eight and was capped by Wales at youth level, told us: 'Bellamy made my life a misery after that. I didn't even want to play football. The incident with not shaking my hand was humiliating.'

The father added: 'They sent him to train with younger age groups and he was isolated. I think they did it to demoralise him. It's disgusting.

'Boys should be having the time of their lives playing football at that age but our son was coming home in tears. It's too late for my son, this is about preventing other boys and parents going through what we did.'

Bellamy denies all the allegations. Harvey did not comment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: There is a real problem with Cardiff's Academy says

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:10 pm

What’s the chances of the group being the perants of kids who haven’t made it.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:What’s the chances of the group being the perants of kids who haven’t made it.

Well sure it is not from parents who have made because we don’t have any kids who have made it The rumours coming out of the academy have not been great for the club.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 pm

The real pain is having your father telling everyone you were humiliated..how humiliating.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 pm

rumpo kid wrote:The real pain is having your father telling everyone you were humiliated..how humiliating.

There's a lot of dissatisfied kids who thought they were going to be rich as a footballer but in reality they're not good enough so got to take it out on someone? Not that academy is perfect or any good but smacks of dissapointed parents venting their anger kids not good enough. :old:

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Today's news, tomorrows fish and chip paper

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 pm

So if I read this correctly parents of young adults who are no longer employed by the club want a current employee sacked. What other business would take this serious

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:14 pm

Yep there's a problem it doesn't seem to produce many decent players.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 pm

I can see Bellemy having a go at people who think they have made it and they can't take it. Don't know why Tan keeps it going. ? Bloody waste of time, no one's come through for many years, wouldn't mind betting Bellars was very concious of this and he probably was asking too much from them.I believe he was working with them for no payment either.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 pm

the Academy players not even good enough for League 2 standard, and they wonder why coaches are frustrated

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:32 pm

When golf comes first for bellamy it wouldn't surprise me

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 pm

bluebird1972 wrote:So if I read this correctly parents of young adults who are no longer employed by the club want a current employee sacked. What other business would take this serious

yes you did, i am not sure ive read your post correct though.. you seriously think our armed forces ,further education system and pretty much any company thats worth its salt would not take bullyng claims seriously.

bit of a strange thread this , nobody seems to care if there are problems there or not.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 am

Nothing to do with Bellamy, for me our Academy has struggled badly for the last 8 years.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:20 am

Don't know the ins and outs of the cases but, "Bellamy is a little gobshite shocker". Always has been, plus he's a scouser

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:46 am

Bambacrew, I will always appreciate what he gave to my club, end of.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:49 am

It sounds like it goes deeper than Bellamy, sounds like they were all at the bullying malarkey, shame on them. The academy is appalling and has been for years

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:13 am

Always been the same since the days of Tate, I couldn't stand how arrogant he was. But he was the Last one to produce any players, Ernie, Bamby, Roberts, Ledley, Gunter. His attitude was why Bale never came and went off to Southampton academy. Need to wait another 20years before we get anything probably.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 am

so basically some teenagers (who likely were not good enough anyway) are unhappy that their coach swore at them and said some bad words.

not condoning bullying etc but if they cant handle a bit of tough treatment from bellamy they wont make it far in football. bunch of wet flannels. i bet every player in the country has had rough treatment for a manager at many points in their lives.

i bet the parents of this kid will be there in 20 years time 'my son would be playing for man utd now if bellamy didnt swear at him'

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:12 am

pembroke allan wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:The real pain is having your father telling everyone you were humiliated..how humiliating.

There's a lot of dissatisfied kids who thought they were going to be rich as a footballer but in reality they're not good enough so got to take it out on someone? Not that academy is perfect or any good but smacks of dissapointed parents venting their anger kids not good enough. :old:

Exactly, I've got a few mates who's children made the academy at a young age but get booted out at 16, apparently, they were the best boys there, better than Adam Matthews, they don't know what they are doing blah blah blah.

Years later they say, he had all the ability, but just didn't have the heart and dedication to make it, in other words at the time they took out the anger on the club and coaches, it's always happened and it always will !!!

For the boys in the academy, it's not the ones with the most ability, it's the boys who really want it and have the mental strength and ambition that will make it !!!

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 am

Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Exactly, I've got a few mates who's children made the academy at a young age but get booted out at 16, apparently, they were the best boys there, better than Adam Matthews, they don't know what they are doing blah blah blah.

Years later they say, he had all the ability, but just didn't have the heart and dedication to make it, in other words at the time they took out the anger on the club and coaches, it's always happened and it always will !!!

For the boys in the academy, it's not the ones with the most ability, it's the boys who really want it and have the mental strength and ambition that will make it !!!

yes but what has that to do with bullying.?
being told your boy is not good enough but you thinking he is, is one thing. the accusation here is bullying.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:58 am

dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

being told your boy is not good enough but you thinking he is, is one thing. the accusation here is bullying.

I just think that the Dads and children are really angry at the time, and if they get a chance to vent they will.

They probably don't like the fact that the kids were binned, of course, it's not very nice, and it's easy to cast aspersions on the people who were involved in the decision making. If they complain and say he was good enough, it gets thrown out, if they say he was good enough but wasn't treated properly, the complaint has to be investigated.

Anyone who makes decisions on peoples future will undoubtedly receive complaints, it's the shit society we live in today, it's always someone else's fault, and someone has to pay.

That's my view anyway, I've no doubt Bellamy is quite hard but professional and is trying to push these kids further than they have before.

Teachers, Hospital workers, GP's, social workers and virtually every occupation are all being battered by the moaning public, and receiving more complaints than ever before !!!

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I just think that the Dads and children are really angry at the time, and if they get a chance to vent they will.

They probably don't like the fact that the kids were binned, of course, it's not very nice, and it's easy to cast aspersions on the people who were involved in the decision making. If they complain and say he was good enough, it gets thrown out, if they say he was good enough but wasn't treated properly, the complaint has to be investigated.

Anyone who makes decisions on peoples future will undoubtedly receive complaints, it's the shit society we live in today, it's always someone else's fault, and someone has to pay.

That's my view anyway, I've no doubt Bellamy is quite hard but professional and is trying to push these kids further than they have before.

Teachers, Hospital workers, GP's, social workers and virtually every occupation are all being battered by the moaning public, and receiving more complaints than ever before !!!

non of that is bullying. which btw is the act of cowards and only happens when the bully feels safe to do it.
being firm, strict or a hard task master is not bullying. really not sure how so many people want to muddy the waters here and pretend one is the other

bullying is not ok and if your unfortunate enough to be in a situation where there is no one to sort the bully out I would imagine its horrible.ive never stood for it myself, but it seems most on here would not ever intervene and some might even encourage it .proper strange.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:22 pm

dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

non of that is bullying. which btw is the act of cowards and only happens when the bully feels safe to do it.
being firm, strict or a hard task master is not bullying. really not sure how so many people want to muddy the waters here and pretend one is the other

bullying is not ok and if your unfortunate enough to be in a situation where there is no one to sort the bully out I would imagine its horrible.ive never stood for it myself, but it seems most on here would not ever intervene and some might even encourage it .proper strange.

You seem to assume he's a bully, I assume he's not just a tough-talking taskmaster who wants the best for the club and to try and make the kids the best they can be.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

You seem to assume he's a bully, I assume he's not just a tough-talking taskmaster who wants the best for the club and to try and make the kids the best they can be.

assume.? why the hell would someone just assume that.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:53 pm

There has been a bullying culture at the academy in the past. One player from Cardiff who my son played with left due to bullying, he’s now in the first team squad at Bristol City age 17 FACT :bluebird:

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Seems like something isn't right to me and hopefully it gets investigated thoroughly and totally revamped if required.

Its all very well saying its from people who have left the academy but if there is a bullying culture then I doubt anyone that can still make it is going to speak out even if they did think there is bullying going on. First and foremost these players will mostly do anything to get their dream job .

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Let's not dive into all the nonsense that has come about from the academy with the paper rumours and the comment from blueboys1927, it's all crap.

The academy has been poor for a long time probably since we been in the new stadium and I think supporters and clearly parents need to accept their kid is rubbish and it ain't good enough, sad reality but true.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:41 pm

"One of the accusations of verbal bullying was that Harvey told the teenager he'd had a 'f****** holocaust' in front of his team-mates after he made a mistake in a game."

What's wrong with that?

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm

nubbsy wrote:"One of the accusations of verbal bullying was that Harvey told the teenager he'd had a 'f****** holocaust' in front of his team-mates after he made a mistake in a game."

What's wrong with that?

Some of these must live in the clouds and never seen Warnocks half time team talks in years gone by, he swore at them, how terrible :roll:

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:24 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Let's not dive into all the nonsense that has come about from the academy with the paper rumours and the comment from blueboys1927, it's all crap.

The academy has been poor for a long time probably since we been in the new stadium and I think supporters and clearly parents need to accept their kid is rubbish and it ain't good enough, sad reality but true.

I wouldn’t say moving on and making the first team squad at a championship side at just 17 years old rubbish, would you ? :bluebird: