Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED: WHAT CARDIFF REALLY OFFERED FOR SALA

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:06 am

Tuesday 15th January 2019

UPDATED: WHAT CARDIFF REALLY OFFERED FOR SALA

Updated:

Apparently Cardiff City did not offer £18mill-£20mill, they offered £13mill, well below the asking pice for Sala.

Cardiff City transfer target Emiliano Sala is expected to feature for Nantes in their Wednesday night fixture against Nimes, with his future still to be decided.

UPDATED:

Sala mulling his options

Emiliano Sala is now back in France and considering his options after holding talks with Cardiff City.

We’re not expecting an imminent decision, not today at least, his agent is also speaking to other clubs.

Emiliano Sala and Cardiff enjoy 'constructive' talks as Nantes striker flies home

Sky Sports

15/01/19

Nantes striker Emiliano Sala has flown back to France following "constructive" talks, his agent has confirmed to Sky Sports News.

The Nantes striker met with manager Neil Warnock and club's chief executive Ken Choi for more than two hours of this afternoon.

Sala flew into south Wales earlier today for talks and a possible medical ahead of a £18m club-record transfer to Cardiff.

"Emiliano was very impressed with what Neil and Mr Choo had to say and with the club itself," his representative Mark McKay told Sky Sports News, but a number of clubs have shown interest.

Cardiff boss Neil Warnock says he still wants to sign a striker in the January window and gives updates on moves for Emiliano Sala and Adrien Tameze

We understand negotiations are at an advanced stage and are this evening continuing between the player and the two clubs.

The £18m fee, which would see Cardiff pay £15m up front with a further £3m to come in additional payments, would dwarf the £11m the club paid for Chilean midfielder Gary Medel in 2013.

The 28-year-old Argentine has scored 12 goals in 18 Ligue 1 appearances this season, with Nantes sitting in mid-table in the French top flight.

Sala has been linked with a number of Premier League clubs but it is Cardiff who look set to land his signature.

Last week, Cardiff boss Neil Warnock admitted that he needed to sign another striker in the January window in a bid to get more goals into the side.

"I'd still like another striker, even with the lads that are here, because something like this might happen again," Warnock said.

"We're very thin on the ground in that area and we've got to try and get more goals into the team."

Callum Paterson is the club's top scorer in the league this season with four goals, with Cardiff having scored just 19 in total in the Premier League.

Sala joined Nantes from Bordeaux in 2015 following loan spells with Chamois Niortais and Caen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sky Sports: Latest on Nantes striker Emiliano Sala

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:14 am

I hope I'm wrong but we have seen this many times over the years....agents getting the best deal. I think there's a chance we're going to get gazumped here :(

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 am

Sala mulling his options

Emiliano Sala is now back in France and considering his options after holding talks with Cardiff City.

We’re not expecting an imminent decision, not today at least, his agent is speaking to their clubs.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 am

Bananas wrote:I hope I'm wrong but we have seen this many times over the years....agents getting the best deal. I think there's a chance we're going to get gazumped here :(

Of course he is, that's his job and if you were the player surely you would want all the options before making a big move. Makes sense.

Re: UPDATED Sky Sports: Latest on Nantes striker Emiliano Sa

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:54 am

Seems like it could be a move to attract attention from other clubs. No doubt he'll hold out for days, choose someone else and then we'll blame nit getting anyone on him wasting our time rather than go out and get someone who's keen to come.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 am

nubbsy wrote:Seems like it could be a move to attract attention from other clubs. No doubt he'll hold out for days, choose someone else and then we'll blame nit getting anyone on him wasting our time rather than go out and get someone who's keen to come.

Wise words Nubberz

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:07 am

Obviously not as simple as that Nubs the way the game has gone with agents and there prima donnas dictating play.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 am

Bananas wrote:I hope I'm wrong but we have seen this many times over the years....agents getting the best deal. I think there's a chance we're going to get gazumped here :(

Hey it could be worse, we could be offering £75m for Callum Wilson :laughing6:

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:20 am

Looks like he's holding out for a better deal. Give him a few days if he hasn't signed move on. We can't afford to risk going to deadline day waiting on him.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 am

Hmmm agreed he and his agent may be using us for better offers ???

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:31 am

Forget him immediately and get on with signing someone else. We have been here before wake up City.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 am

Perhaps we should have got him to sign yesterday while he was here or perhaps we have given him 48 hours to make his mind up but i hope that we also have put in a deadline we don' t want a grujic saga again

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 am

based on his record, you'd agree he's probably better than what we already have, but £18m for a 28 year old? yes he's in a purple patch, but his record is not great. i know the market has moved on even since last season, but this seems far too much. only premier league or chinese clubs would pay that sort of money.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am

Move on we don't have time to have this kid dictate.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:01 am

nubbsy wrote:Seems like it could be a move to attract attention from other clubs. No doubt he'll hold out for days, choose someone else and then we'll blame nit getting anyone on him wasting our time rather than go out and get someone who's keen to come.

Who is keen to come to Cardiff though? A championship striker looking to make the step up maybe. Most strikers of quality are not going to jump at the chance to join Cardiff especially the way we play. They will want to see all the option. They ain't fans, and just like most of us looking at new jobs we would consider all the options before making a big choice.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 am

You would hope that city will keep looking and trying to get another striker in and if we get someone it's Salas loss.. if club comes back and say we missed other signings waiting for him fans will be a bit angry! :old:

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 am

100% - this has all the hallmarks of a transfer where a player is stringing us along, keeping the media updated at every stage, in the hope that other teams come in.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 am

Waking up and seeing this is worrying, got told he had a medical today and would be announced later on in the day and I was sure of it, but this doesnt seem like he’s having a medical today, very worrying, if we don’t get him today, I can’t see him coming, if he wanted to come, he would’ve signed yesterday I reckon

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:18 am

2blue2handle wrote:

Who is keen to come to Cardiff though? A championship striker looking to make the step up maybe. Most strikers of quality are not going to jump at the chance to join Cardiff especially the way we play. They will want to see all the option. They ain't fans, and just like most of us looking at new jobs we would consider all the options before making a big choice.

Like you say, probably easier to sign someone looking to make a step up than someone looking to make a sort of sideways move. Easy and understandable for our fans to say go get him, but most know that's not the way it works. We are not looking to sign up fans of Cardiff City, we are looking to persuade someone to come here and become an employee of the club. Professional athletes are going to weigh up all options before signing a contract, and it takes two to form that partnership, not just the football club.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:31 am

He has had weeks to make a decision and is just playing silly buggers now. As others have suggested he is just waiting for another club to come in with a better offer and is just using us as a patsy till then. If he is so reluctant to come to Cardiff we really should move on. This has all the hallmarks of the Grujic pre season situation when we allowed him to bugger us about till we were left scrambling around for alternatives at the last minute,practically by accident that turned out quite well but it wont necessarily happen again.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 am

northernbluebird wrote:based on his record, you'd agree he's probably better than what we already have, but £18m for a 28 year old? yes he's in a purple patch, but his record is not great. i know the market has moved on even since last season, but this seems far too much. only premier league or chinese clubs would pay that sort of money.

I see a lot of people complaining about his price because of his age. Glen murray is 35 and still scoring goals in the premiership and doing a job for brighton, sala is 28.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 am

damned if you do damned if you don't though..
be honest mate who would be keen to come here, good chance we will be relegated and do not create many chances. the players keen to sign up for that are most likely not good enough.so to improve this squad we need to be overpaying and prepared to be fucked around a bit.it is what it is.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:34 am

montyblue wrote:Perhaps we should have got him to sign yesterday while he was here or perhaps we have given him 48 hours to make his mind up but i hope that we also have put in a deadline we don' t want a grujic saga again

Maybe he has

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:36 am

I say move on.Give him a deadline date like tomorrow and see what he says. We need a striker as a matter of urgency. There has to be someone out there.Especially as there are funds now.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 am

Tell him and his agent to go and do one..
Had enough time.. move on

Re: UPDATED: WHAT CARDIFF REALLY OFFERED FOR SALA & NOW EVER

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:52 am

Tuesday 15th January 2019

UPDATED: WHAT CARDIFF REALLY OFFERED FOR SALA & NOW EVERTON WANT TO SPEAK TO HIM

Updated:

Apparently Cardiff City did not offer £18mill-£20mill, they offered £13mill, well below the asking pice for Sala.

Daily Mirror.

Everton to meet Sala after agent alerts them.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 am

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:
northernbluebird wrote:based on his record, you'd agree he's probably better than what we already have, but £18m for a 28 year old? yes he's in a purple patch, but his record is not great. i know the market has moved on even since last season, but this seems far too much. only premier league or chinese clubs would pay that sort of money.

I see a lot of people complaining about his price because of his age. Glen murray is 35 and still scoring goals in the premiership and doing a job for brighton, sala is 28.

murray is the exception not the rule.

within a year or two sala's transfer value has diminished hugely and this is borne out through countless transfers. it's the best time to cash in on a player.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 am

Forever Blue wrote:Tuesday 15th January 2019

UPDATED: WHAT CARDIFF REALLY OFFERED FOR SALA & NOW EVERTON WANT TO SPEAK TO HIM

Updated:

Daily Mirror.

Everton to meet Sala after agent alerts them.

And that's all she wrote :lol:

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 am

Cardiff City FC

How much Cardiff City have actually bid for Emiliano Sala and when the deal could be done

Neil Warnock would love to sign a striker in January to aid Premier League survival

By Dominic Booth Cardiff City Correspondent

15 JAN 2019

Cardiff City transfer target Emiliano Sala is expected to feature for Nantes in their Wednesday night fixture against Nimes, with his future still to be decided.

The Bluebirds held talks with Sala and his representatives on Monday evening, showing him around Cardiff City Stadium in an effort to persuade the striker to sign.

The talks were described as "constructive" by Sala's agent Mark McKay, though it's expected nothing will be sealed until the weekend, with Sala unlikely to be a Cardiff player in time for the clash with Newcastle United on Saturday.

WalesOnline understands an offer of around £13million is on the table - not the reported £18million or even £20million figures - with potential add-ons to be agreed.

Nantes will consider the offer after Sala has featured in the French club's Ligue 1 away clash at Nimes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:02 pm

No-one on this forum has a clue as to how things are progressing or what has been discussed. Do fans really think it's just a matter of doing a bit of window shopping, seeing a couple of youtube clips and saying we'll have that one. Easy to say forget him and move on to the next one. Just how many players do people think are begging City to sign them up. Take everything in the media with a pinch of salt as well. One report saying £13m offered, one saying £15m plus add ons. The fact is we don't know what is going on, so best wait rather than jump to conclusions based on nothing. I'm sure there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but whatever some fans say, it is not easy to persuade a player to join an unfashionable club who are still one of the favourites to be relegated.