Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Matthew Connolly Called back to Cardiff City '

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Hull City's proposed deal for Cardiff defender Matthew Connolly in doubt

Matthew Connolly has returned to Cardiff City

Hull Daily Mail

Tuesday 15th January 2019

Hull City’s proposed deal to sign Matthew Connolly is in doubt after talks over the defender’s loan move hit a stumbling block this morning.

Connolly had been identified as the experienced centre-back Nigel Adkins wanted to sign and is understood to have passed his medical with the Tigers yesterday.

City were expecting to complete their first signing of January window today but Connolly, who had indicated his willingness to join last week, has now returned to Cardiff without putting pen to paper.

The reasons behind the transfer stalling are currently unclear but the Tigers have stressed that negotiations are continuing.

The setback will be a source of frustration for Adkins, who is still waiting to greet his first new signing of this month.

City are a centre-back down after seeing Tommy Elphick recalled by Aston Villa last month and Adkins is keen to see his defensive line bolstered by another experienced figure.

Connolly, 31, had ticked those boxes after winning promotion out of the Championship with four different clubs, but it remains to be seen if he will now be arriving at the KCOM Stadium.

Adkins is likely to retain his current central defensive pairing of Jordy de Wijs and Reece Burke for this weekend’s trip to play-off rivals Aston Villa.

Re: ' Matthew Connolly Called back to Cardiff City '

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Morrison op true then I take it

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:03 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:Morrison op true then I take it

Apparently Morrison, is out injured for a while.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:Morrison op true then I take it

Apparently Morrison, is out injured for a while.

All the best Mozza and im sure Connors could do a job for us if needed as he's been a good servant to our club

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Slot Manga into RB finally.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:20 pm

The info I received is that he is in hospital waiting for an op on his appendix.

Not sure if its true though

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Even if the Morison story isn't true, and notwithstanding Connelly has not played any PL or meaningful football all season, he is all City have got presently as back up.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:29 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Slot Manga into RB finally.

:?

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:44 pm

T1JMO wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Slot Manga into RB finally.

:?
Don't you mean cb.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:49 pm

I think Cunningham will play centre back before Connolly as he is the natural left footer.

Dont be suprised to see Bamba and Cunningham saturday with Manga right back

Or all three with Bennett and Hoilett wing backs in a back 5

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:51 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think Cunningham will play centre back before Connolly as he is the natural left footer.

Would agree with all of that.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:17 pm

If Morrison is out then it’s a no brainer Manga to partner Bamba & bring in Richards or Peltier (in that order) at right back.

Having seen the goal Cunningham gave away against Burnley would have no confidence in him being a centre back. Manga has been excellent playing in that position.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:24 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think Cunningham will play centre back before Connolly as he is the natural left footer.

If he plays a back four I think he will move Manga inside and bring Peltier in personally.

You could be right about wingback tho.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Morrison definitely out! BBC confirms club

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=203906

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:59 am

Hull City are exploring other options to Matthew Connolly according to Hull Daily Mail, with the Cardiff City defender’s loan to the KCom Stadium on ice for the time being.

Connolly had been set to join the Tigers only for Cardiff to put the brakes on when Sean Morrison was taken to hospital for a procedure.