Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

EMILIANO SALA REJECTED 11TH HOUR CHINESE BID

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Cardiff City £15m 'capture' Emiliano Sala rejects huge 11th hour Chinese offer - French reports
ByPaul Abbandonato

Saturday 19th January 2019

Emiliano Sala is sticking with his decision to come to Cardiff

Cardiff City target Emiliano Sala rejected an 11th hour bid from China to snatch him away from the Bluebirds, claim reports in France.

French website Le 10 Sport say an unnamed Chinese club were prepared to offer double the £15m Cardiff are paying Nantes for Sala and give the striker a hugely lucrative salary.

The offer, they report, was tabled on Friday morning as Sala was arriving in South Wales via private jet for his Cardiff medical.

However, Le 10 Sport, who cover French football, say Sala rejected the overtures because he wants to play in the Premier League with the Bluebirds.

After undergoing what manager Neil Warnock dubbed a 'thorough medical', Sala was photographed with Bluebirds fans outside Cardiff City Stadium last night. He is holding what appears to be a Cardiff shirt in his hand.

"His Premier League dream was stronger than the mind-blowing bid from China," say the French website.

Warnock insists reports saying the deal is worth £18m are wrong and the figure Cardiff are paying is closer to the £15m mark.

That still smashes their transfer record, the previous highest fee being the £11m Malky Mackay agreed to bring Gary Medel on board six years ago.

Cardiff feel they have value for money, with an English player of Sala's quality expected to net around £30m.

The Bluebirds will formally announce the deal once the paperwork is sorted. Sala is returning to France this weekend and flies back to Cardiff next week to begin training with his new team-mates.

Cardiff don't have a game next weekend, having been knocked out of the FA Cup, so Sala's first match will be Arsenal away on January 29.

Warnock feels Sala and fellow newcomer Oumar Niasse can fire the goals to keep the Bluebirds away from the Premier League relegation spots.

Sala, who will become first Argentinian to play for the Bluebirds, has 12 Ligue 1 goals to his name this season, trailing only behind World Cup winner and Ballon D'or nominee Kylian Mbappe and Lille's Nicolas Pepe as top scorer in France.

Nantes coach Vahid Halilhodzic fought hard to keep hold of his star striker, but said: "Sala is 28-years old. Cardiff offered him six to seven times his salary. I might have made the same decision if I had been in his place, we could not compete.”

If the reports from France are to be believed Sala could have netted even more money in China, but at 28 has resisted the overtures for the proper competition of the Premier League.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: EMILIANO SALA REJECTED 11TH HOUR CHINESE BID

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Still nothing official from the club?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:49 pm

I see this as a positive, as it means Emiliano Sala is showing a little bit of personal ambition by opting to 'give it a go' in the Premier League with Cardiff City

The fee is (sort of) irrelevant now, as the club have chosen to pay it and both clubs and the player himself are 'happy' with the arrangements (and wages) agreed

What is important now is for Emiliano Sala to 'show his worth' on the football pitch and help his new club secure another season the the Premier League

As for China?

Well, if we look at it positively, there may be a chance of clawing back Vincent Tan's investment in a a couple of seasons, if that route were to be available again when the circumstances and age of the player would make that more appealing

Of course, for that to happen, Emiliano Sala will have needed to be a success at Cardiff City FC first! ;) :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Dahboy wrote:Still nothing official from the club?

Waiting for international clearance, which is expected Monday before he starts training on Tuesday :thumbright:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Tomlin would of definitely excepted a Chinese.

That’s his biggest problem.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:Tomlin would of definitely excepted a Chinese.

That’s his biggest problem.

*would have not would of...GGGGRRRRRR....

:laughing6: still funny though :laughing6: :thumbup:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Sven wrote:
Dahboy wrote:Still nothing official from the club?

Waiting for international clearance, which is expected Monday before he starts training on Tuesday :thumbright:

:thumbup:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:42 pm

He hasn't signed yet, back in France anything could happen in the next 48 hours.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:54 pm

dazza wrote:He hasn't signed yet, back in France anything could happen in the next 48 hours.

Yes he has.

Everything signed, but he’s gone back to France to get some things. Deal goes through on Monday when the Premier League authorise it.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
dazza wrote:He hasn't signed yet, back in France anything could happen in the next 48 hours.

Yes he has.

Everything signed, but he’s gone back to France to get some things. Deal goes through on Monday when the Premier League authorise it.

Not according to sky, they are saying it's 90% done due back on Monday to sign if he gets international clearance.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:47 pm

dazza wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Yes he has.

Not according to sky, they are saying it's 90% done due back on Monday to sign if he gets international clearance.

Bet he’s on a plane to Beijing :lol:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:55 pm

dazza wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Yes he has.

It's signed but it still has to get international clearance, which is expected to be a formality but clearly the club would be naive to announce it until the ink is dry! ;)

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:11 pm

if i was him, i'd go to china. although i believe the story is utter bollocks. you have to remember there is a 100% tax that chinese clubs pay to their FA for any player signed over $6.9m, so assuming they matched our £15m bid, they'd be paying £30m.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 pm

northernbluebird wrote:if i was him, i'd go to china. although i believe the story is utter bollocks. you have to remember there is a 100% tax that chinese clubs pay to their FA for any player signed over $6.9m, so assuming they matched our £15m bid, they'd be paying £30m.

There not short of cash over there it makes no difference

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Sven wrote:I see this as a positive, as it means Emiliano Sala is showing a little bit of personal ambition by opting to 'give it a go' in the Premier League with Cardiff City

The fee is (sort of) irrelevant now, as the club have chosen to pay it and both clubs and the player himself are 'happy' with the arrangements (and wages) agreed

What is important now is for Emiliano Sala to 'show his worth' on the football pitch and help his new club secure another season the the Premier League

As for China?

Well, if we look at it positively, there may be a chance of clawing back Vincent Tan's investment in a a couple of seasons, if that route were to be available again when the circumstances and age of the player would make that more appealing

Of course, for that to happen, Emiliano Sala will have needed to be a success at Cardiff City FC first! ;) :thumbright: :ayatollah:

I think that Chinese story is probably a bit of old cock Sven. I saw it earlier and noticed that it was an "un named" Chinese club and nothing factual in the piece whatsoever . I suspect a French journalist inventing copy.