' Sean Morrison out for 6 weeks '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby thomasblue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:17 pm

EXCLUSIVE-news

Daily Express

Saturday 19th Jan 2019

PREMIER LEAGUE star Sean Morrison came within just 45 minutes of losing his life in a frantic dash to hospital on Monday night.

The Cardiff City captain was only saved by the quick thinking of his wife Stacey and the club’s doctor Len Nokes after he initially refused to seek medical attention for a pain in his stomach.

Thankfully, Stacey insisted calling the medic herself and when Morrison explained how the pain had shifted from the middle of his stomach to the lower right-hand side, Dr Nokes immediately diagnosed the potential for acute appendicitis.

He ordered Stacey to take Morrison, 28, to accident and emergency without delay.

There, the player was rushed straight into surgery where it was discovered Morrison’s appendix had already burst – a life-threatening problem as toxins are released into other parts of the body.

Doctors opened him up to remove his appendix and clean out the damage and after a couple of days’ of intensive antibiotics being administered directly into his vein, he was finally given the all-clear and released home.

However, staff at the hospital warned that if Morrison had arrived just 45 minutes later, they may not have been able to save him.

It will now be at least six weeks before Morrison can resume training as Cardiff battle to avoid the drop.

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock this week deliberately kept the news under wraps because he did not want it to overshadow preparations for today’s relegation six-pointer against Newcastle.

On Tuesday, a club spokesman revealed that Morrison had been in hospital to “undergo a procedure” but refused to elaborate as the player began his recovery.

In the press conference ahead of the game yesterday, Warnock continued to disguise the severity of Morrison’s condition.

He had a procedure on Monday," he confirmed. “I’ve had the physio on the phone just now.

“I don’t think Morrison will play tomorrow, but if there’s any doubt I won’t play him anyway. We can’t gamble on anyone.”

Appendicitis is most common among 10 to 20-year-olds and affects one in 13 people in the UK at some point during their life.

Removing the appendix, a five to 10cm long pouch connected to large intestine, is usually a straightforward keyhole procedure. But if the appendix bursts, it releases bacteria into the abdomen.

According the NHS, ”If this isn't treated immediately, it can cause long-term problems and may even be fatal.”

Before today, Morrison had played in all 22 of Cardiff’s Premier League games with the Bluebirds going into the game against 18th-placed Newcastle just one slot above them, but crucially outside of the relegation zone.

But even if he recovers in time to play again in March, Morrison will miss at least six games at a time when the Cardiff squad is already stretched by a number of injuries.
Attachments
0_GettyImages-952390942.jpg
0_GettyImages-952390942.jpg (53.55 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
thomasblue

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Morrison out for 6 weeks

Postby Blueboys1927 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Hope he makes a full recovery.
Should have gone for Gary Cahill from Chelsea, who Fulham signed on a free yesterday :bluebird:
Blueboys1927

Postby howbluewasmyvalley » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Crikey. Annis passed on inside info that it was appendicitis but who of us could guess how serious.
Had appendicitis when I was 40. Working in Heads of the Valleys. Had no idea what the problem was and told the boss I was feeling really bad. He said you look awful so go home.
Drove home to Cardiff but was in so much pain couldn’t drive after 20 mins.
Stopped on A470 and threw up on the hard shoulder then passed out.
Woke up I think 20 mins later and managed to get home. Rushed into Llandough and the little bugger removed.

Best of luck with the recovery Sean.
Oh yes, don’t let anyone try to make you laugh its f...ing excruciating.

Block 111 :ayatollah: :bluebird:
howbluewasmyvalley

Postby welshrarebit » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:40 pm

Has Cahill confirmed? If not maybe we should be trying to gazump
welshrarebit

Postby howbluewasmyvalley » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Crikey. Annis passed on inside info that it was appendicitis but who of us could guess how serious.
Had appendicitis when I was 40. Working in Heads of the Valleys. Had no idea what the problem was and told the boss I was feeling really bad. He said you look awful so go home.
Woke up I think 20 mins later and managed to get home. Rushed into Llandough and the little bugger removed.

howbluewasmyvalley

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:48 pm

howbluewasmyvalley wrote:Crikey. Annis passed on inside info that it was appendicitis but who of us could guess how serious.

Sadly its true, club tried to play it down.

We will miss Morrison, badly.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Re: ' Sean Morrison out for 6 weeks '

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Cardiff City captain Sean Morrison indebted to his wife after being rushed to hospital for emergency treatment on burst appendix

Saturday 19th Jan 2019

Cardiff City captain Sean Morrison suffered a burst appendix and was saved by the reaction of his wife, it has been revealed.

Morrison is said to have required emergency surgery when wife Stacey called the medic after the 28-year-old had initially refused to seek treatment for pain in his stomach.

Cardiff said on Tuesday that Morrison had been admitted to hospital for a "procedure".

The Premier League captain missed today's game at Newcastle as he recovers, although it is suggested manager Neil Warnock kept the news under wraps before the match because he did want it to overshadow matters.

It is unclear how long Morrison will be out for, but there are suggestions it could be at least six weeks. In his absence Bruno Manga and Sol Bamba will play centre-half, the positions they filled against Newcastle.

Sean Morrison and Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock (Image: Gareth Everett/Huw Evans Agency)
A report in the Express claimed hospital staff warned that if Morrison had arrived just 45 minutes later, they may not have been able to save him.

Warnock reacted to that 45 minute claim this evening by saying "I'm not sure about that, it might be a bit dramatic that."

But he confirmed that Morrison had been fortunate and indebted to his wife's speedy reactions.

"I spoke to him last night and he was bright, he was a lucky lad I think if his wife hadn't been on the ball," admitted Warnock.

"She rang our club doctor Len Nokes and explained the symptoms and he said 'get yourself down straight away' and he arranged for the surgeon to see him. It was done straight away. He is a lucky lad."

Morrison was ordered to go to accident and emergency without delay for the potential of acute appendicitis after club doctor Nokes was notified. He was rushed into emergency surgery and it is reported his appendix had already burst.

According to medics, that can lead to toxins being released into other parts of the body.

Thankfully, Morrison has been given the all-clear and returned home after having his appendix removed and a course of intensive antibiotics.
Attachments
0_GettyImages-952390942.jpg
0_GettyImages-952390942.jpg (53.55 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Bluesman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Get well soon Mozza. Don't worry about the football it's only a game. You family is more important.
Bluesman

Postby northernbluebird » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:58 pm

stories like this put football in perspective. terrible news and thank goodness he got medical attention in time.

it's a bad time to be losing one half of your centre back pairing.
northernbluebird

Postby snoopystorm » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:10 pm

I said on the post on Facebook he’d be out for 6weeks minimum
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm

Today showed how much we miss him.
2blue2handle

Postby Bluebina » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 am

2blue2handle wrote:Today showed how much we miss him.

Massive loss, not only his commitment and blocks and 100% effort but also his talking and organisation of the defence and midfielders ahead !!!

Get well soon Morrison :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: !!!
Bluebina

Postby Lawnmower » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:03 am

Yet plenty wanted him dropped.

Possible that Manga and Bamba are better footballers, but communication isn’t a strength with either as Manga is very quiet and Bamba is just chaotic and most of what he seems to shout is after the event.

Short of leaders yesterday without Morrison, Arter and Gunnar
Lawnmower

Postby Lawnmower » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 am

5 weeks until Watford game.

Hopefully he’ll be back for that, but it means he’ll be missing 2 massive games in Bournemouth and Southampton as well as Arsenal
Lawnmower

Postby BlueMoon1974 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:06 am

Lot of haters on here of late towards him. We will miss him that's for sure.

Get well Soon
BlueMoon1974

Postby Bluebina » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:07 am

Lawnmower wrote:

Possible that Manga and Bamba are better footballers, but communication isn’t a strength with either as Manga is very quiet and Bamba is just chaotic and most of what he seems to shout is after the event.

Agreed :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204160
Bluebina

Postby thomasblue » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:10 am

Bluebina wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

Agreed :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204160

It will be interesting to see how our defence gets on with Arter and Gunnarsson back in midfield.
Then we will see who was the bigger loss.
I agree that the communication between defence and midfield was sorely lacking though which is Morrisons strength
thomasblue

Postby Bluebina » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:11 am

Lawnmower wrote:

Hopefully he’ll be back for that, but it means he’ll be missing 2 massive games in Bournemouth and Southampton as well as Arsenal

Appendix, that should be 8 weeks at least, but I suppose he's tough as can be and will get the best treatment, but that would be very quick !!!
Bluebina

Postby snoopystorm » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:16 am

Bluebina wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

Appendix, that should be 8 weeks at least, but I suppose he's tough as can be and will get the best treatment, but that would be very quick !!!

Minimum is 6 weeks, depends if there is any complications ie infection during post op
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby northernbluebird » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:24 pm

would the first goal have happened with morrison? i doubt it.

have people been calling for him to be dropped? just shows a lack of understanding of what he brings to the team if so. he hasn't stepped up as much as we hoped but is still a better defender than manga or bamba.
northernbluebird

Postby Lawnmower » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

I’m. Hoping that being a fit strong lad and with the best possible treatment he’ll be back a bit quicker
Lawnmower

Postby dogfound » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:30 pm

just said in the Fulham v spurs commentary that Eric Dier missed 10 games after an appendix opp.
need a CB.
dogfound

Postby bluespeers » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:37 pm

Get well soon Big Man, :thumbup: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
bluespeers

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 am

bluespeers wrote:Get well soon Big Man, :thumbup: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

My sentiments exactly, was unfortunate to suffer a burst appendix when I was 5,strangely enough was playing 3 and in with a few mates,got tackled, fell over,and couldn't get up off the floor,my friend run and got my mum to come to see what was wrong,I was in absolute agony,lucky for me, an abscess had formed around the appendix and was collecting most of the toxins and had emergency surgery,still have a 6" scar 50+ years later,where they had fitted a large drain to remove abscess and it took me,2 + months before I was allowed to do anything strenuous,I wish you a speedy recovery mozza,get well soon,we need you :ayatollah:
bluesince62

Postby Bluebina » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:54 am

northernbluebird wrote:would the first goal have happened with morrison? i doubt it.

have people been calling for him to be dropped? just shows a lack of understanding of what he brings to the team if so. he hasn't stepped up as much as we hoped but is still a better defender than manga or bamba.

For the first goal, it was Niasse chasing him back, if Arter or Gunner were playing they would have taken a yellow and taken him out well before he got near our box.
Bluebina

Return to General Chat