Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CARDIFF WERE AGAIN POOR TODAY & THE DEFENCE WERE AWFUL "

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:54 pm

My View / Opinion

" CARDIFF WERE AGAIN POOR TODAY & THE DEFENCE WERE AWFUL "

Over all in my opinion Cardiff were once again very poor and looked like a relegated team.

Cardiff and Newcastle both contributed to a poor game.

City played Newcastle who were beneath them in the table before today, now City find themselves in the bottom 3.

There was no real urgency by City and City deserved to lose the game conceding three dreadful goals.

Cardiff have now failed to score in 11 Premier League games this season and have only scored once in their last 6 outings.

Everton on loan striker Niasse made his debut today.

First--half: Disappointing from Cardiff City,not a lot of quality on show,but Fabian Schar’s goal what separated the two teams.
Cardiff's defence just stood still for Newcastle's goal.

NEWCASTLE 3 CARDIFF CITY 0 :cry: :cry:
Crowd
Away Support 1,682 (Cardiff fans)

Cardiff City:
Etheridge; Peltier, Manga, Bamba, Bennett; Ralls, Camarasa; Mendez-Laing, Paterson, Hoilett; Niasse.

Subs: Alex Smithies Greg Cunningham Aron Gunnarsson Kadeem Harris Josh Murphy Bobby Reid Danny Ward

24th min terrible terrible defending by Cardiff, it was a lovely run from Schar, but the Cardiff defence just opened up for him on the edge of the area. He glided past two or three Cardiff defenders, and a low drive into the bottom corner. Warnock must of been furious with that one. Awful defending by City 1-0 :cry: :cry:

Poor first-half by both clubs, but Newcastle had the lead, thanks to terrible defending by Cardiff.

h/t 1/0 :cry:

Cardiff started brightly.

But yet again Cardiff's defence let them down in the 63rd min Ritchie curled a corner into the area, Lascelles headed it on towards the back post and Schar was there to let it hit his leg and deflect into the net. Cardiff players were once again just stood still, another terrible goal to concede.
2-0 :cry: :cry:

64th min Bobby Reid came on for new signing Niasse.

Josh Murphy came on for Mendez-Laing.

City conceded a 3rd goal in injury time 3-0 :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cardiff City did not deserve anything from this game.

F/T 3-0 :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " CARDIFF WERE AGAIN POOR TODAY & THE DEFENCE WERE AWFUL

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:55 pm

We are already relegated I don’t think we will win more than 2 games rest of season

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Very poor today. But it's still very close. Lots of points to play for.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:59 pm

very very very bad
sala probably having second thoughts

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:00 pm

The Tactics are killing us !!!

Continue to play Patterson up front it's surely going to kill morale very quickly.

Warnock needs new tactics very quickly as league one tactics do not work in the premier

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Could have signed Gary Cahil from Chelsea on a free, just signed for Fulham :bluebird:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:05 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

well today just summed it up i feel sorry for the fans who have made the trip . but shocking again really needed 4 points from past 2 games lets face it with arsenal away next we will more than likely be further adrift then you get to feb even with 3 home games atm i dont see us getting more than 3 points out of 12 said it at start of season with the run in we got last 6-8 games r shocking we needed to be atleast 6 points clear of bottom 3 to stand a chance i just dont see us staying up sorry for being negitave the last 2 games have shown it we are nowhere good enough and with warnocks baffling tactics esp away from home we will get relegated
Last edited by ch1ppy82 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warnock was bold today and went with two up front. it had the predictable effect of us getting murdered in the centre of the park, with rails looking out of his depth. camarasa was crap aswell. the first goal was a terrible one to concede.

our problem is that because of the way we play, we need to play a target man like paterson, but playing 4-4-2 lets other teams dominate our midfield, which struggles to keep possession at the best of times.

perhaps playing paterson wide right and niasse centre could be a solution.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:06 pm

All our issues are coming from both flanks, at the back and up front.
Neither winger today was able to beat his man and cross a ball.
Both full backs are pulled out of position and neither have the guile or speed to rectify their mistakes.
Spine of the team is premier league, the flanks are championship at best. Consistency is needed not the odd worldy or run and lose possession. Add Arter for Ralls (who just isn't quick enough in thought or deed) and the 7 in the middle are good enough.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Tactically impotent, losing the ball by lumping the ball upfield. Random showed how to be an all-round target man with his hold up play, high tempo and assists through quality passing. We have been desperate for a new RB since the summer and with two loaner CMs who look shattered it’s fair to say we are desperate for a midfielder or two. Instead though, our club and Warnock are going to spend large on strikers who will simply not get the service.

No fight, no passion and no premier league tactics today, we got exactly what we deserved. The last two weeks were crucial games for our season and to see the lads so tired and void of confidence is far from inspiring. The marking today for the goals - I’ve seen more formation from the geeks playing Pokémon in the park!

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:09 pm

We looked totally out of our depth yet again. Everyone of them bar Etheridge look like they have long accepted relegation. Shocking, and yes they should do something for the fans who travelled all that way

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:10 pm

It's tough to be positive after the results of the last week but now is not the time to 'give up' on Neil Warnock's Cardiff City team!

We were away against a Newcastle team that are clearly better than their League position suggests and (for the newbies) we don't exactly have a good record at St James' Park or, indeed, away from home this season

The latter (away this season) is why I thought the set up might have been a little different today with a view to attacking Newcastle from the off and trying to create some panic in the Newcastle defence

We did neither and we paid the price, as an opportunist but well taken goal from Fabian Schar gave the Magpies a valuable 1-0 half-time lead

City's midfield (with Camarasa being double marked) was inept and I struggle to make a case for Joe Ralls being in the team; not that that let's anyone else off the hook today

Neil Warnock clearly has work to do this week and beyond and with a tough away game to Arsenal game to come on Saturday we may have to wait until February for our next real points opportunity

But for some to write us off? A little premature yet, methinks; and with new additions to the team and some time to bed in, we could just pull off the 'save' that many on here said could occur if we got three or four players in and we're half way there! ;) :thumbright:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:10 pm

We looked totally out of our depth yet again. Everyone of them bar Etheridge look like they have long accepted relegation. Shocking, and yes they should do something for the fans who travelled all that way

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:11 pm

Hugely damaging result and the performance. We have been dreadful in every game since Leicester. I can cope with defeat but to be smashed by a very average Newcastle side is really not good enough. For the first time this season I've lost faith in Warnock. I can't see this turning now. Any energy or confidence in the side has gone. Give it a couple more games to see if performances can improve but I think the club hierarchy should have half an eye on a caretaker manager until the end of the season.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:12 pm

We won’t get out of the bottom 3 from here on in.
Save the Sala money for the summer, waste of effort now.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:14 pm

I’ve said all along give Warnock the season as he deserves it,but I don’t run the club.
Tan must be Qestioning him.
Poor performances recently and we don’t look like scoring yet alone winning.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:14 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:Hugely damaging result and the performance. We have been dreadful in every game since Leicester. I can cope with defeat but to be smashed by a very average Newcastle side is really not good enough. For the first time this season I've lost faith in Warnock. I can't see this turning now. Any energy or confidence in the side has gone. Give it a couple more games to see if performances can improve but I think the club hierarchy should have half an eye on a caretaker manager until the end of the season.

Under your assumptions, Neil Warnock would be better kept ready for next season too! ;) :laughing6:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Very poor.we need another 3 or 4 players

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 pm

Sven wrote:It's tough to be positive after the results of the last week but now is not the time to 'give up' on Neil Warnock's Cardiff City team!

We were away against a Newcastle team that are clearly better than their League position suggests and (for the newbies) we don't exactly have a good record at St James' Park or, indeed, away from home this season

The latter (away this season) is why I thought the set up might have been a little different today with a view to attacking Newcastle from the off and trying to create some panic in the Newcastle defence

We did neither and we paid the price, as an opportunist but well taken goal from Fabian Schar gave the Magpies a valuable 1-0 half-time lead

City's midfield (with Camarasa being double marked) was inept and I struggle to make a case for Joe Ralls being in the team; not that that let's anyone else off the hook today

Neil Warnock clearly has work to do this week and beyond and with a tough away game to Arsenal game to come on Saturday we may have to wait until February for our next real points opportunity

But for some to write us off? A little premature yet, methinks; and with new additions to the team and some time to bed in, we could just pull off the 'save' that many on here said could occur if we got three or four players in and we're half way there! ;) :thumbright:

Sven we can sign Messi Ronaldo and bale but if NW will not change tactics or mind set of all out defence from kick-off we will go down! We are seeing same thing week in week out :old:

He needs to take the shackles off this team.

Mourinho was doing the same with Man utd now look at them.

He needs to believe more, we have decent players who can hurt teams but they are not being allowed to do it

northernbluebird wrote:warnock was bold today and went with two up front. it had the predictable effect of us getting murdered in the centre of the park, with rails looking out of his depth. camarasa was crap aswell. the first goal was a terrible one to concede.

our problem is that because of the way we play, we need to play a target man like paterson, but playing 4-4-2 lets other teams dominate our midfield, which struggles to keep possession at the best of times.

perhaps playing paterson wide right and niasse centre could be a solution.

Harry and Gunnar were really missed. Victor put in a role he’s not suited to. They give him the freedom to create chances.
Ten days off now to rethink our away system. Newcastle set up like the away team, Cardiff as if at home. Said it before a ball was kicked.
Niasse worked hard and will be an asset when he’s settled in. Sala will make a huge difference I’m convinced.

Block 111

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:20 pm

10 days to rethink our tactics full stop !
Simple facts , keep playing like this and we are down !

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Niasse needs match practice and you can see he can be an asset, but the defence is a real worry.
Only Connoly to come in,at CH.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:23 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:It's tough to be positive after the results of the last week but now is not the time to 'give up' on Neil Warnock's Cardiff City team!

Sven we can sign Messi Ronaldo and bale but if NW will not change tactics or mind set of all out defence from kick-off we will go down! We are seeing same thing week in week out :old:

Allan, I don't disagree and today's game was hugely frustrating spot the reasons stated above :thumbright:

Being a positive thinker though, we have had one hand tied behind our backs with the make-shift attack of late and we have on occasion got away with murder. However, I am hoping that the new attacking additions and a couple of signings (in midfield and defence) to come will allow our one-dimensional team to change tack going forward (so to speak)

Another bad day at the office but we can only look forward with hindsight and experience our best friends! :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:25 pm

thomasblue wrote:He needs to take the shackles off this team.

Mourinho was doing the same with Man utd now look at them.

He needs to believe more, we have decent players who can hurt teams but they are not being allowed to do it

I agree. We should just go for it now, see were that takes us. We have got good players but when a right back starts further up the pitch then a forward you know there is a problem

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:28 pm

We just looked devoid of any ideas today. We know that we haven't got the best players, but when they give it away so cheaply, it makes the other teams job so much easier. Peltier, Camarassa and Bennett, just look to play any ball and don't seem to care if its lost as long as they have attempted a pass. Warnock has to change it around now. Patterson has had his time in the limelight, we have become too one dimensional. Warnock has fallen into the trap of thinking that we have a real chance of staying up, so we must be cautious. We haven't got the players for that. He needs to get the players, back in the gung ho mindset. Hopefully Sala, will allow us to get a better passing game going. Bring back the pace of Murphy and give Reid more game time. One positve, Niasse didn't look off the pace and infact looked strong when challenging for one on one balls.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Another poor performance, I think Warnock is making it worse persevering with Patterson starting. Can't fault Patterson for his efforts, but we lose too much attacking intent with him starting up top.

Defensively we were very weak, Bamba didn't have his best game, Bennett looked exposed, and Peltier just doesn't have the quality at this level. Manga had a decent game.

Only real positive were the subs, Reid, and to a lesser extent Murphy did ok.

We missed Arter and Gunner, NML does not have any end product. Camarasa was ineffectual and Newcastle did their homework on him. Hoilett struggled.

I cannot understand why Reid did not start with Niasse, and why Warnock did not bring him on last game? He's the only striker we have who comfortable with the ball at his feet.

We might have been better off paying the wages for Rondon in the Summer...

Need to dig deep now, as our form lately has been way below whats required to stay up

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 pm

A defining week? We have had a poor week on the pitch against two sides in and around us:

Huddersfield - home 0 goals, no attempts on target
Newcastle- away 0 goals, 1 attempt on target

Some strange teams selections with Murphy & Reid being constantly overlooked, no defensive midfielder & bringing 2 subs on in the 82nd & 89th minute. What’s the point? As soon as went went 2 down let’s give it a go! We seem to give teams too much respect.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:41 pm

Arsenal away then Bournemouth at home, who will rip us to pieces with their attacking style. I can't see us staying up now but we will soon find out.