Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Quality difference between Championship to Premier League

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Is the quality difference really this big??,I always thought we needed to strengthen the team after last years promotion,but I didn’t think we needed a whole new team,I don’t think any player can say that they have done well this season,if we do end up going down,is there a player in our squad who would be then signed by a premiership team?

Re: Quality difference between championship to premiership

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:36 pm

The only player to perform consistently is etheridge.
Really disappointing is that the defence which was our bedrock last season, look totally ill at ease with the rigours of the PL.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Ralls,Hoilett,Morrison,manga all look different players,premier a step to far,the whole mentality of the club needs to change,it would be easy to slag warnock off but what else can he do

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:14 pm

caerblue wrote:Is the quality difference really this big??,I always thought we needed to strengthen the team after last years promotion,but I didn’t think we needed a whole new team,I don’t think any player can say that they have done well this season,if we do end up going down,is there a player in our squad who would be then signed by a premiership team?

The big difference is one is played with a round ball (Championship) and he other an egg-shaped ball (Premiership) ;)

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:22 pm

I don't think its as big as we make out.

The difference is we were the ultimate championship team even more so than under Malky. A great counter attacking and set play team with pace everywhere and a solid back 4. We always lost the possession battle but did well with shots on target.

This season we are giving up possession to far better teams with far superior players who ultimately hurt you. We need to keep the ball better, and smacking it aimlessly downfield is not the tactic for this league.

If you go up holding onto the ball you have a better chance of staying up, not for possession sake, Wolves go direct a lot but having the ability to vary it a bit.

I think Warnock has lost his confidence and going back to brutal basics, he did the same at this time last year though.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Sven wrote:
caerblue wrote:Is the quality difference really this big??,I always thought we needed to strengthen the team after last years promotion,but I didn’t think we needed a whole new team,I don’t think any player can say that they have done well this season,if we do end up going down,is there a player in our squad who would be then signed by a premiership team?

The big difference is one is played with a round ball (Championship) and he other an egg-shaped ball (Premiership) ;)

Always got to be one,but you know my point

Re: Quality difference between Championship to Premier Leagu

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:58 pm

huge difference, its not just that most of our 25 would not get in most teams its more a case that very few would make anyone elses 25.

its not a popular view though as most prefer to just blame lack of effort, team selection, tactics, anything and everything bar the bleeding obvious.
having said that I think we have done better than expected by most people so far ,and maybe there are some more twists. Warnock pulled it off against the odds last season so who knows.